Hacking Is a Y Cable realy needed for a Wii U USB HDD?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally would try and find an external hdd that can be powered by plugging it into a socket.

Or you can be totally insane and use a Y cable, but take the power section of the Y cable, plug it into a usb->ac, then plug that into an extension cord, and plug that extension cord into a socket. Thus only using one usb port. Would that setup work?

Last edited by osaka35,

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
There are 2 different major 2.5" USB drives that are common in the past 2-7 years. Those that are 1.5 amp and those that are .5 amp. If you have a PC that is 5 years old or newer and even only has usb 2 ports, it will most likely work with BOTH style hard drives no issue what so ever without the Y cable. The wiiU's USB ports supply around .85 amps per port

I had a seagate 1.5 amp 5400rpm hdd that when plugged into the WiiU would just click click click click. Used the y cable, and bam spun right up formatted and worked.

Now my NEWER 7200RPM WD black 2.5" drive is only .5 amp. Single cable was able to power it, format it and copy a few games over. Did I find a 3 pack of Y cables on amazon for 5 bucks shipped? Yes. Do I use it on this drive just in case? YES

Use a freaking Y cable.

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
My solution was to plug in a POWERED USB hub (needs to have an external power supply) into the Wii U, and plugging the hard drive into that.

I did that as a temporary measure, powering the hub from another Wii U port.
I have a Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB which comes with a 1-plug USB 3 cable, it works with either a powered hub or a Y cable.

Note - a lot of cheap hubs sold as "USB 2.0" are actually USB 1.1, and painfully slow.
(Long story, but I have a 2 gallon bucket full of assorted USB 1.1 hubs here.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/a0LhJY3XRwg?si=fvky9AxLOJ2fhfUY