Gaming Is BotW too confusing?

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My little bro's friend is giving him BotW for free. Wow. And thats because he claims its too confusing. Is it really? I know i'm late, but i've never played BotW before, and I was planning on buying it soon, buuut...what are your thoughts?

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
There are a few shine and side quest where they don't tell you where to go/what to do 100% of the time, they give you a riddle and you need to figure it out. I can't think of any main quest that did the same.

Reactions: felix.200

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i dunno, i find it fun getting lost sometimes.. I don't actually find it confusing.. if you're stuck, there's a ton of youtube videos on how to solve a puzzle in a shrine but most of the time you can figure them out..

Reactions: ATofix

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for a non zelda fan who managed to complete the game, is not confusing to basic and general play, but maybe for someone looking beyond the basic game, perhaps finding some shrines with the riddles like KASS and even solving some are confusing. So perhaps he just not the type of player for this game.

Reactions: felix.200 and owek1

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not confusing but it was never described or marketed as a linear type of game so what your bro's friend was exepcting is anyone's guess. You set out and make your own adventure, and slowly but surely the dots start connecting. But it's not a let-me-hold-your-hand type game.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Even for being an open world game, it's pretty straight forward. Makes me sad, actually.
I actually enjoyed this. It wasn't as terrible as the "large room" design Dishonored goes for, but it was straight forward enough I wasn't feeling frustrated like I usually do with Skyrim or Oblivion (Vanilla. My modded games don't have this problem).

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My 12 year old brother was never really much of a gamer. basically just pokémon. He "finished" BOTW with only a few problems. And those were shrines he couldn't do (non story ones) So it's fine.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to guess, the kid hadn't gotten the paraglider yet and the game seemed boring to him because he couldn't get off the plateau. As long as you can get past the tutorial section, the game gets really fun

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My little bro's friend is giving him BotW for free. Wow. And thats because he claims its too confusing. Is it really? I know i'm late, but i've never played BotW before, and I was planning on buying it soon, buuut...what are your thoughts?
i mean i 100% the game without a ton of trouble (using a guide for koroks only) though that may just be because i have 100% completed all of the other games in the series

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Even for being an open world game, it's pretty straight forward. Makes me sad, actually.
Eh, it holds your hand a lot less than traditional open-world games like Skyrim. There aren't NPCs everywhere telling you where to go and what to do, it's largely up to you to decide.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Eh, it holds your hand a lot less than traditional open-world games like Skyrim. There aren't NPCs everywhere telling you where to go and what to do, it's largely up to you to decide.
Yes, but you know what you're aiming for. What you do in between is entirely up to you.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did find it confusing in the first few hours. But that's for the best really. Unlike many open worlds it really gives you room to breath and discover the game by yourself, in the order you want.
This game grows on you after a few hours and becomes very addicting :)

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If I had to guess, the kid hadn't gotten the paraglider yet and the game seemed boring to him because he couldn't get off the plateau. As long as you can get past the tutorial section, the game gets really fun
That's definitely true. I remember thinking "wtf this place is so dead and boring, why are people so hyped about it?" Bit of an odd choice to start off the game in such a dead area.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah, the main objectives are clearly marked. But the game is all about exploration and puzzle-solving. Puzzles should be confusing, and it's totally fine if you get lost in the open world as there's usually something interesting around every corner. I'm gonna guess that your little bro and his friend are pretty young, in which case it's understandable why your bro's friend might've found it confusing. I've had little kids try Breath of the Wild at my house and it was a bit too challenging for them. It's definitely not a game that someone who's too young is really gonna understand.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want confusing? Tell him to try the nes games before he complains about confusing. Go to the store, Buy a $10 eshop card, download the game from eshop and make him play it. Then complain about confusing. Trust me, he will appreciate Breath of the wild more, least the game is playable without choosing to

1. Wander around aimlessly for hours and figure stuff out
  2. go online and look at a strategy guide
  3. give up :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol