Hacking Discussion ¿Is it be possible to emulate the Nintendo Online service?

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
The private online network are possible, the N servers don't have a lot of stuff on their network (only find and match people) the game session it's stored on one of the connected consoles acting as server.

So... yes, it's possible emulate the N online network and don't need a lot of work to make games playable because they don't use private servers for games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Considering the fact that no evidence is presented in the video that shows that his console is indeed banned, i highly, HIGHLY doubt this video has any legs to stand on. Besides, if you look at the thumbnail. he's LAN(As in LOCAL) play, something that isn't affected by online bans

The title it's totally bait, he is playing on LAN play tunneled through server, as I said before, the real online emulation are possible too, if packets get decrypted only need some peering stuff, the banned certs don't affect on emulated online network because are only banned on N servers and you can totally ignore the bans or make your own cert bans on your server.

Technically N can't shutdown a open source project that emulate their network, because it don't have any propietary code and don't require their files, but if someone try to make his own online server or make profit of it are another history.

Last edited by Chocola,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Well gag me with a stick.... Nice Now all we need is it running from a personal server at home so nintendo cant do much about it.

I'm not a lawer, but I have experience on private servers and if you don't sell anything, you can run the server on a real online server without use your personal PC.

To make it without costs and without shutdown risks, a decentralized P2P network like torrent or bitcoin should be fine.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a lawer, but I have experience on private servers and if you don't sell anything, you can run the server on a real online server without use your personal PC.

To make it without costs and without shutdown risks, a decentralized P2P network like torrent or bitcoin should be fine.

If its hosted on a third party network, it could be taken down, same as any private server could be taken down if the public (property) owner desired and had legal access to the server's home. Only way is, as you said, to make it completely decentralized, but in that case you're basically just making a glorified LAN network.

Issue with these 'solutions' is that they're only going to be viable for the 'big' games with tiny pools of people and at the whims of some nebulous maintenance, and while the Switch handles much of the work, it doesn't handle all of it like matchmaking, so you'd have to keep building this with every new game or be limited to basically zero of it. Not sure if you'd gain access to third party servers either, so further shrinking any viable/interesting pool of options.

That said, we've never seen someone actually re-engineer the entire online stack and then release it publicly in this modern era and at the same time as the live system's operation (360 just had tunneling LAN play options like Switch now has/has had), something tells me its probably not going to go over well but it remains to be seen how Nintendo would react after such a thing is released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.