Gaming is it piracy?

D

Deleted User

the reason im asking you guys this is because my dog eats anything and everything, he ate my super paper mario disc, new super mario bros wii disc, and my super mario 3d land cartridge. and i wanna get a cia of super mario 3d land because i 100% completed it and its a pretty fun game.
Try to backup it yourself to cia, its legal afaik. Use jksm to backup the save and put in the cloud or smthing...
If you make a cia from your cart and dont give the cart to anyone (so its still yours) it should be legal..?

Dont bother with the questions as nobody will go after you if you do pirate things (unless you are selling and stuff) and people here and on the internet in general dont really care

About your dog- you might consider buying a switch, it's carts arent tasty... or just put all your carts in a large box he cant physically eat... put rat toxic on it if needed

SuperKirbyBros

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to backup it yourself to cia, its legal afaik. Use jksm to backup the save and put in the cloud or smthing...
If you make a cia from your cart and dont give the cart to anyone (so its still yours) it should be legal..?

Dont bother with the questions as nobody will go after you if you do pirate things (unless you are selling and stuff) and people here and on the internet in general dont really care

About your dog- you might consider buying a switch, it's carts arent tasty... or just put all your carts in a large box he cant physically eat... put rat toxic on it if needed
lol, he stopped, it happened when he was a puppy, meaning he chewed alot of stuff, but the sm3d land is my fault, i left my dog with the cartridge out in the open in my room.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backups are not considered piracy.
thats a grey one there . . . but the point being made is (as per the op) he has no game anymore to rip a backup, so in his case downloading the game cant possible be to archive or preserve his property as his property is destroyed

now if he made a "backup" before his dog ate it it would indeed be a backup, but as he cant . . . well now im just being repetitive . . . oh well

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Backups are not considered piracy.
Whether backups are piracy or not is a grey area, at best. The DCMA and the EU's Copyright Directive both prevent any attempts to circumvent copyright protection. Only the DCMA provides a fair use privilege to circumvent copy protection if you do it yourself, but the playing of such backups on the 3DS (for example) would require circumventing copyright protection and is hence still illegal.

SuperKirbyBros

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like i said it happened a year ago, and i threw it away because i mean, whos really gonna keep a chewed up cartridge in their room for a year

Demie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it piracy unless you literally bought the game, or used a backup from the original cart/digital download

Catsinabucket

Permanently Uncertain
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo UK's website says that backups for games you own are legal IF you create the backup yourself and do not distribute it, otherwise it is piracy
said:
The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Last edited by Catsinabucket,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is against Nintendo Terms of Service, so it's piracy.
Nintendo does not decide what's piracy/illegal and what's not. A ToS is not a legally binding contract.
Besides, if you look at Nintendo's piracy website, there's a lot of misleading or incorrect information there. I would take anything they say about piracy with a heap of salt.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you duplicate and redistribute a game without paying retail, then its piracy.

Yes this is piracy. Somebody has dumped a ROM, posted it online, and you downloaded a copy.

Nobody will hunt you down though so don't worry. But it's also not the right thing to do.

But hey, we've all done it at least once. The downloading, not the redistributing. No worries, just don't give people ROMs; leave that to the idiots.

siamese

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
but u know, no one really cares.
yes, i dont care, if i can get a working copy of any game i like, i WILL play it with the help of flashcarts, cfw, of any means posible. Sometimes I buy them, hack´em, erase them, or just collect them.

what really matters is what you think or can do. I think by now you're old enough to know that is right and wrong.

On the other hand, "my dog ate them" is the oldest excuse in the book...... how old are you, 8?

My dog ate my homework.
That mischievous pup
got hold of my homework
and gobbled it up.

My dog ate my homework.
It’s gonna be late.
I guess that the teacher
will just have to wait.

My dog ate my homework.
He swallowed it whole.
I shouldn’t have mixed it
with food in his bowl.

Kenn Nesbit Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's illegal since you're downloading it. If you backed up your own and then your copy was destroyed, I believe that would be okay. It's been a good while since I looked into it though.
Nope. It's illegal if you have a backup but the original was destroyed. You must own the backup and the original in order for it to be legal.

Will anyone care though? Nope. No one will give a single shit that one person decided to download a game they previously owned. Just don't redistribute your downloaded copy and you will be perfectly fine.

Reactions: siamese

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. It's illegal if you have a backup but the original was destroyed. You must own the backup and the original in order for it to be legal.

Will anyone care though? Nope. No one will give a single shit that one person decided to download a game they previously owned. Just don't redistribute your downloaded copy and you will be perfectly fine.
I'm just running from this on Nintendo's legal page, I might have misinterpreted it though.
Nintendo Legal said:
The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just running from this on Nintendo's legal page, I might have misinterpreted it though.
Maybe there's a loophole then. However, even if that is so, the OP said that they downloaded a version therefore making it illegal.

However:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: