Homebrew Is it possible to dump textures from .WAD files?

Braiden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. this is my first post (Hooray!) but I have a few .WAD files that I'd like to rip the textures from. How can I do that if it's possible? (I have windows 10 btw)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes but it is going to be the same as anything else and you might end up pulling apart a completely custom format, and if this wad is an emulated game then you are likely going to have to hack that game like it was on the original system.

If it is just ripping textures you might also want to see what the emulators will do for you. I have not played with Dolphin for a while so don't know what its debugger options are these days, or what people are attaching to it but in other systems there will usually be texture, tile and sprite viewers you can pull current stuff from. You can also use cheats -- no sense playing 60 hours to get a fancy end game weapon just to rip its texture if you can just cheat and have it right at the start.

Anyway I am not sure what we are suggesting for pulling apart WADs these days (wwpacker and u8tool is probably a bit long in the tooth). https://code.google.com/archive/p/libwiisharp/downloads will do though.

As mentioned at the start then texture formats vary, and could be completely custom*. Many of the people doing smash brothers and mario kart wii will have stuff here, https://wiibrew.org/wiki/BRRES_files is also worth looking at.

*while things might be custom in the end they still have to work with the wii hardware so knowing that you can start to formulate an approach.

Braiden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply, I have used Dolphin before and all it did was take screenshots of what I saw. But I'll look at the links you posted.

I unpacked the WAD using libwiisharp now I have many .app files, 1.cert file 1 .fooder file 1 .tik file and 1 .tmd file.

Which file contains the textures?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On dolphin then it might not have the texture or model viewers in an option, or might be on an older version. Some people however make texture and model rippers, or use things made for normal PC games -- some emulators of newer systems will dump the 3d format onto the graphics card itself and at that point you have a more known format to play with.

Some of those are related to the WAD format itself ( https://wiibrew.org/wiki/WAD_files ) but without even knowing the name of the game I have no clue beyond not going to be in the tickets, metadata, certs or footer. Even if I did know what game we are discussing here then I probably still would not know as each game can play it its own way -- such is the fun of ROM hacking. I don't know what options Dolphin has as far as tracing these days ( https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ is for the GBA, and for a command prompt one rather than graphical one most emulators are these days, but covers the general workflow of such things) so you might have to go for more traditional approaches of eliminating files, looking for telltale signatures (the BRRES files I mentioned earlier apparently always start with TEX0), dumping memory and searching the ROM for that (most 3d formats, especially ones sent out as WAD on the wii, will be compressed so that might not be as useful as it is on older systems).

Braiden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After using the link provided by Wiimpathy. I have dumped the game and I have one file the extension is lz7 I don't know how to open or extract this file. Any ideas?

Also, I forgot to mention Thank you to everyone that has helped even if their idea or ideas didn't work. I really appreciate it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share