Homebrew is it possible to replace a homebrew icon?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello i have been using @Apache Thunder's app to run my original r4 on my 3ds and the icon is fine for me . . . but i intend to set up a 3ds for my nephew and would like to change the icon to something . . . more eye catching to a child and so i wanted to know if/how i would go about changing the image.

Reactions: Deleted User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you referring to NTR Launcher?

icon.png

NTR Launcher
NitroHax provided by chishm
Modified by Apache Thunder

Is so, what do you prefer this icon to be and those lines written as?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the source code is available, it shouldn't be too hard to replace the files before you compile. I'm not sure how hard it is to actually compile though.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the source code is available, it shouldn't be too hard to replace the files before you compile. I'm not sure how hard it is to actually compile though.
It can be hard if you don't have a compatible setup to how the devs built their applications (ie, operating system, library version, devkitpro version). New and old updates can break stuff, and source codes not provide the entirety of the make-build. People aren't typically going to bother setting up devkitPro for changing out one little thing.

This should be easy enough request to do. Currently setting up libnds to see if his source code gives no problem.

Edit - Arlight, back. Sorry, I'm having compiling issues. Getting errors when building. Thinks it's due to abad devkitpro environment setup on my computer. Someone else here or at the ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities section who is better equipped at this should help you.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, im back. After some headbanging trying to figure how why NTR Launcher was so different than a typical .cia, I found out it is a DSiWare based.

I couldn't use the typical arsenal of DSBuff, DSLazy, DotNet 3DS Toolkit, and HackingToolkit9DS to modify the banner.bin for icon and name editing.

The only way this is going to work is to extract the files within the game's .app file using GodMode9, open the banner.bin file under MessAnimDSIco, change the title and icon there, and then hex edit inject back this banner.bin into NTR Launcher's .app file.

I'll have to check if the CIA installs correctly with FBI, but feel more or less confident this request is possibl.e

@wormdood, do you have a particular picture and title for how you want the icon to look like and game name?

ie, simply "NTR Launcher"

and whatever the 32 x 32 px icon will be.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you referring to NTR Launcher?

icon.png

NTR Launcher
NitroHax provided by chishm
Modified by Apache Thunder

Is so, what do you prefer this icon to be and those lines written as?
the app in question is this one R4 Stage2 TWL Flashcart Launcher(and perhaps other cards soon™).... (the first link) it shows as "a.k. rpg" i was hoping to change it to say games . . . and as for the icon possibly have a pic of a folder or something generic like say games in rainbow colored letters on a flat background

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes and it is also dsiware based

Can you link to me or point exactly which archive containing the cia i'm looking for? There's a lot. Don't want to get the wrong one lol.

Edit - oh you mentioned first link. For icon, you said rainbow based. You have particular rainbow or a pic from google image search?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually dont those launchers Rely on using a patched sysmodule? TwlBg.cxi i think, does Luma still Support loading a Patched TWL(DSI)Module at all anymore O-o?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There is no "source code" to the R4 launcher you were using. Well there's source to WoodRPG I guess, but I did not use any source code to make the stage2 launchers. They are manually rebuilt SRLs with the needed changes to operate on a 3DS with TWL_FIRM (also none of my launchers require a patched/modified TWL_FIRM. There was a short time when NTR Launcher first came out that it was needed but we later figured out how to switch into NTR mode from TWL mode so we no longer use a modified NTR mode with hacked in unlocked SCFG support.

There is however source code to NTR Launcher and perhaps you should use that instead. It should boot your R4 just as well and would even give you extra options like the ability to run DS games with TWL clock speeds enabled. This can help with a few DS games known to have frame rate issues. Though it may not fix them all. :P

Reactions: wormdood
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats fine
After more head bashing due to the pickiness of DSBuff nagging about 16-bit colors for 32x32 pixel icon in which that duck folder picture only contained 8-bits of colors (did some PhotoShop trickery to get the other 8 colors), injecting that icon into a different DSiWare cia title (Zelda - Four Swords), hex edit splicing that icon over into the banner.bin of Wood R4 because manually recreating that icon on MessAnimDSIco required clicking 1024 pixels is NOT smart, then injecting that banner.bin file into Wood R4 Launcher's "F5A5C974.app" by more hex editing, copy+paste by GodMode9 that modified .app into SysNAND location of "2:/title/00030004/41464645/content", search TMD tickets, and finally recreate / build that launcher into a new CIA format.

I've uninstalled the original Wood R4 Launcher and reinstalled this new one. It launches when I tried it. Let me know if it works for you.

There is no "source code" to the R4 launcher you were using...

... Though it may not fix them all. :P

Hey, man. It's cool I tinkered your Wood R4 Launcher like that, so long if this makes OP and his kid happy? I don't like messing with stuff if not need be.

Edit - modified R4 Launcher .cia has been pulled as request was fulfilled, and to prevent circulation and contamination of unofficial build.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i got around to attempting to install the file and fbi gives me an error

failed to install cia file
result code 0xdd8e0806c
level permanent (27)
summery invalid argument (7)
module am (32)
desc error type -8 (108)

Which exact 3DS or 2DS are you trying to install this on? What version of FBI, Luma, and B9S? Is the R4 Wood already preinstalled from the original one? Do you have another system to test installing the cia on?

* If it matters, I installed this FBI v.2.5.0 3dsx version.

R4_Wood_Games.png

Edit - I'll be away for the time being due to family airport pickup.
I'll re-upload this CIA in question for others to try installing. This way, they can chime in if the problem occurs on their end, too, and then we'll know whether it bad cia hack or something else.

Edit #2 - Pulled .cia as it is believed the build works only on one system due to differences in:
- cert.bin
- tmd.bin
- tmdchunks.bin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Better call Pedro you're up in smoke