Status
Not open for further replies.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Color folk? Maybe. Black person? Certainly not!

I think its more context than anything. I'm a brown guy and I call my black friends niggers and they call me a beaner and we get a good laugh. It doesn't mean either one of us are racists. The opposite in fact; we are comfortable enough around each other to joke like that.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I live in the US, and called black people "black" all my life and never had any issue. I have tons of black friends, my best friend is also black. He told me hates it when people use the term "People of color" and says it's kinda cringy. :P
Welp, I've seen tourists refer to a black portuguese man as african american lul . Trying to find expressions just because people might be offensive is cringy at best and wrong and retarded at worst.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in the US, and called black people "black" all my life and never had any issue. I have tons of black friends, my best friend is also black. He told me hates it when people use the term "People of color" and says it's kinda cringy. :P

"people of color" really takes the cake.

This comic is from 1988, so I 'get' the parents more than most here will. They're my parents' generation, i.e. teens in the 1950's. But this is still dead-on. Seems like every generation for the last 50-60 years in the US has a new way to describe blacks, and the words that used to be ok becomes racist for some reason.

bloom15.jpg

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything is racist now. Haven't you heard?
yep. the same as you cant say anything about culture. How dare you voice your opinion with out being called a raciest.... Its number 7 on the list of the 8 steps on how to destroy America by Dick Lamm as the former Governor of Colorado 2004.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. If black people can say white people, then why would it be raciest. In fact a know some people who take more offense to African American, which, still, is stupid IMO. But nah. Call them what you like... except that one thing we don't talk about as white people...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Today I found out apparently it was racist to call someone a “monkey”..?

Also don’t forget it’s Black History month.
I laughed so hard at this. It's because... physically, black people tend to have thicker lips, bigger nose, and sometimes a bigger brow, hence the term, "monkey". Now THAT is raciest as fuck though.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No. If black people can say white people, then why would it be raciest. In fact a know some people who take more offense to African American, which, still, is stupid IMO. But nah. Call them what you like... except that one thing we don't talk about as white people...

I laughed so hard at this. It's because... physically, black people tend to have thicker lips, bigger nose, and sometimes a bigger brow, hence the term, "monkey". Now THAT is raciest as fuck though.
Actually there's a brownish skinned guy in my class, that we call "monkey" or "ape" in a jokingly matter. You can say "Ese tipo de allá, el n****" (that guy over there, the black one), and really nobody will complain. I get called huero (which is a term that refers to white people), sometimes, and I don't complain about it.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a customer come up to me and say, "Hey is that colored girl working"? (Obviously a Southern-sounding white male with a long white beard and suspenders. Just a ripped up Tom Sawyer hat away from being a walking stereotype.) I replied, "What color? Blue...?"

Reminds me of while I was working one day ( same retail job ), I was taking with this guy named Mike who is black. Anyway we had just had a couple of new hires and we had this one girl, she was in uni and was just working part-time but she was a little ditzy to say the least. So she wanders up to us and was listening to our conversation and all of a sudden she comes out with " so do you prefer to be called black or coloured ? " I was taken aback a little but without missing a beat and completely straight faced he said " I prefer Mike " then she just walked away without saying another word. I should note we were talking about processors at the time and no ... she didnt last long.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno if that's directed towards me, but I consider myself pretty liberal/left. I'm just old enough to remember the last time...

i just meant usa white suburbia in general... just ignore skin color and definitely dont get lost in the ghetto

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just meant usa white suburbia in general... just ignore skin color and definitely dont get lost in the ghetto
I didn't read everything that got posted in between, I am in the middle of something and sort of rushing but I saw this title on the front page and had to come toss my 2 cents, I just couldn't pass it by lol. So I just skimmed through to see if anyone said it b4 me (which sadly, @Glyptofane had...) but after I posted I read some of the earlier comments and kinda wished I had avoided the thread tbh. That's why I asked..

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm trying to point someone out to someone else, I'm going to say what that person's most identifiable trait, whether it be, height, skin color, clothing, or hair. Which one I use shouldn't matter but to take offense is rediculous.

Side note: I hate the term "African American." Their family line may have come from Africa but as far as I'm concerned, they are 100% 'Merican!!!
That's why I don't mind saying "Black Person" because I deem the other term incorrect. I don't view these people as Africans, I see them as Americans!

Last edited by Stephano,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive always find it weird when kids born and raised in the suburbs speak and act like the kids from the ghetto.

If I'm trying to point someone out to someone else, I'm going to say what that person's most identifiable trait or whether it be, height, skin color, clothing, or hair. Which one I use shouldn't matter but to take offense is rediculous.

Side note: I hate the term "African American." Their family line may have come from Africa but as far as I'm concerned, they are 100% 'Merican!!!
That's why I don't mind saying "Black Person" because I deem the other term incorrect. I don't view these people as Africans, I see them as Americans!

BUT why then do we have to say ASIAN-AMERICAN etc.etc?

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"people of color" really takes the cake.

This comic is from 1988, so I 'get' the parents more than most here will. They're my parents' generation, i.e. teens in the 1950's. But this is still dead-on. Seems like every generation for the last 50-60 years in the US has a new way to describe blacks, and the words that used to be ok becomes racist for some reason.

bloom15.jpg
I'm in my 30's. My mom said something about some kid at my nieces school and I'm trying to understand which kid she means. She's like "you know, the little chocolate boy" and I'm like what the fuck is wrong with you? I had heard her say that before like maybe 20 years ago (its been a long road for me coming to realize that myself and my family are racist (without malice) and weren't even aware of it). But hearing it today and in front of my 9 year old niece really hit me in a soft spot. I was pretty fucking mad.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya