Is lower capacity memory less prone to data rot?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is more to that than physical size only. Generally there are some things to consider.

Few examples:
  • Early HDDs (from the early 1980s) aren't exactly reliable despite only having very few MB. The technology wasn't as mature and precise as later on
  • CDs are more prone to complete failure by scratching the label side (destroys the data layer) than the more dens DVDs (data layer in the middle of a "glued sandwich")
Currently most (all?) flash memory is MLC instead of SLC saving multiple bits into each cell vastly increasing memory capacity. That requires more complex decoding (I guess some analog→digital) and is prone to more errors opposed to "On/Off" only. This can be seen by looking at USB flash sticks. I have an early 512MB stick, no idea how old it is. Just works. It has seen countless newer sticks come and go.

Could have other reasons than data density as well: The new ones tend to become painfully hot (sometimes can't touch) when writing a lot of data and that can't be good for the flash chip and the solder joints. Old sticks didn't even have the opportunity to become hot as they are full after a few seconds or a minute.

Reactions: splaca

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I watched a presentation by Andrew "bunnie" Huang (the guy who dumped the OG Xbox secret ROM) some years ago, turns out that manufacturers may repurpose 'failed' flash memory into smaller capacities.

So for example, a bad batch of 256GB SD cards with say 64GB worth of bad cells could be sold as 128GB SD cards.

So just because you buy smaller capacity flash media, it doesn't necessarily mean that every cell is being used.

Slides:
http://bunniefoo.com/bunnie/sdcard-30c3-pub.pdf

Reactions: splaca

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CDs are more prone to complete failure by scratching the label side (destroys the data layer) than the more dens DVDs (data layer in the middle of a "glued sandwich")
That's really interesting. I never thought about that, but it makes sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm thinking about getting a 1tb SD card and booting batocera just for pc emulation
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See some new 830gb builds that should work on the cheaper ones
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    For your steam deck ken?
    If just for PC I would recommend an external hard drive like 2 TB and just build your own bootable drive
    Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it yourself.... Almost all the builds I tried just sucked
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: