Is my motherboard retarded?

Tescowiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a problem with USB booting. My laptop is Toshiba Sattelite A660-186. When I try to boot Linux installer/live cd from USB it works fine, but when I try to boot Windows installer it gives boot bcd error, and when booting to already installed Linux on pendrive(installed on HDD works fine), grub displays an "unknown filesystem" error. Is there a fix or do I have an old, not supported motherboard? Already tried to change some bios settings like usb legacy emu(turning it off doesn't even list usb drive in boot list) and controller to AHCI/compatibility(didn't change anything).

koyuki_kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe you windows boot hace issues , try to create a USB windows BooT with wintoflash, or maybe you have to disable de secure boot in the BIOS if this is UEFI

Tescowiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When was the Laptop made? And second, you can burn a Linux ISO to a DVD, or Windows Installer to an DVD.
Dunno when it was made, but I've bought it in 2011. From DVD everything works fine. Linux boots from usb only if it's installation/live, already installed to usb doesn't, windows installation usb gives error.

maybe you windows boot hace issues , try to create a USB windows BooT with wintoflash, or maybe you have to disable de secure boot in the BIOS if this is UEFI
I'd tried 4 different options to create a bootable USB. Each one failed. My BIOS isn't UEFI.

Last edited by Tescowiec,

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Dunno when it was made, but I've bought it in 2011. From DVD everything works fine. Linux boots from usb only if it's installation/live, already installed to usb doesn't, windows installation usb gives error.

I'd tried 4 different options to create a bootable USB. Each one failed. My BIOS isn't UEFI.
You can also used UUI (Universal USB Installer), or you can always use the Windows Media Creation Tool.

Tescowiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tried that Microsoft's usb download tool before and it failed too. Anyway, thanks for help anyone, I'm going to give up with this because I rarely need to boot Windows installation media. It's just strange that it boots Linux fine but has problems with Windows...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1