Hacking Is my PS3 hackable?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No new PS3 you buy now will be able to use custom firmware. At this point in time, the only hope would be ODE hardware such as the 3Key or that Cobra ODE, of which both I haven't heard diddly about.

blanshdivua

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, f*ck. I will have to investigate then, and maybe buy a second hand or not... I don't think I can afford even second hand games but I will think about it... But will there be an easy way in the future to hack it? I mean are they working on it?

Thank you codezer0!

zombie77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hello guys !
Sorry for maybe stupid question: i used software mentioned below and it shows me that 3.40 version of OSW can be installed on my ps3. The current version of OSW is 4.25. So, if i understand correctly my first step is to downgrade to 3.40 (or 3.50 ?). Is anyway to do it programmatically or i must use some E3 flasher to this ?
(i'm a newbe and it's my friend console, so i won't to do any dangerous steps :))

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys !
Sorry for maybe stupid question: i used software mentioned below and it shows me that 3.40 version of OSW can be installed on my ps3. The current version of OSW is 4.25. So, if i understand correctly my first step is to downgrade to 3.40 (or 3.50 ?). Is anyway to do it programmatically or i must use some E3 flasher to this ?
(i'm a newbe and it's my friend console, so i won't to do any dangerous steps :))

If it's on 4.25 then you'll need a E3 Flasher in order to downgrade it to 3.55. From there you can install a CFW.

TRWOV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, longtime lurker here.

I snatched an "untested" PS3 Slim CECH-2001B that apparently didn't work. Turned out that the system was set for HDMI so the RCA video cables didn't output video. SCORE!

Anyway, it comes with OFW 4.21. :nayps3: My intentions are:

1) Rip and play PS3 games from HD
2) Play PSP games from HD (I suppose you can't rip the discs on the PS3)
3) Rip an play PS1 games from HD

Already done the 12V SATA mod and I'm using a 1TB 3.5" HDD ATM.
So, to confirm, currently a NOR flash is my only option, right?

EDIT: I'm learning about ODEs. Is that a better way to play HDD backups or is CFW more reliable?
EDIT2: NVM, it seems that they require CFW too. :glare:
EDIT3: OK, I'm officially confused. I find references to ODEs being plug and play. Is that right? Or are there PS3 models in which plug and play ODEs work? If so, which ones?

EDIT4: Ok, so if I'm getting all the info right:

3K3Y-S: Solderless for 20xx and 21xx, uses external HD for PS1, PS2, PS3 ISOs, I can't find info about support for PSP ISOs

Cobra USB: requires FW 3.41, uses internal HD for PS3, external for everything else, PSP is supported

Cobra ODE: same as 3K3y, doesn't list PSP support, apparently PS1 and PS2 support isn't ready yet

E3 Pro: not much info, official site is in engrish but aparently it's comparable to Cobra ODE. PS1 and PS2 support will require a future upgrade. Cheapest of the bunch.

As far as I can see, the Cobra USB is the best one but it also requires an earlier firmware. As things stand now I guess I'll be on the lookout for the 3k3y, if it supports PSP then I guess it's a done deal.

hughjorgan007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rather than the above guy's "No." answer which at all doesn't give any information to the user as to why. I shall tell you why. The PS3 needs to have a base firmware of 3.55 or lower in order to be downgraded. Only PS3s on firmware 3.55 or lower can be hacked. The way PS3s on newer firmware are hacked is they are downgraded using a progskeet or E3 Flasher. The PS3 3000 series is too new to be able to downgrade to 3.55. There's a list of downgradeable PS3s which I'll link below.

Hackable PS3 Phats
Hackable PS3 Slims

Excuse the small size on the Phats list. All of them are downgradeable.

I have acqiuered a ps3 cechl03 phat, I don't really understand the link. I've modded many wiis but this is the first ps3. Would like to be 100% sure before trying to downgrade. I assume I'm on latest firmware as it upgraded when gta5 was played yesterday.

hughjorgan007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not a problem. I also have a review/tutorial combo in the review section for the E3 Flasher if you'd like to see how difficult or easy it'd be to downgrade a PS3.

I'll take a look cheers oh will progskeet work I'm in the uk and can't find an e3 anywhere. Modchip.org seems to have disappeared. Which seems to be the only place here to find one through google.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but do you know if it's a 48 or 56 pin clip as there's many conflicting statements about these clips online. And there doesn't seem to be a tutorial about. Maybe I'm being thick lol.

Actually now that I look around people are saying the 360 clip is terrible. I'd personally just order the E3 Flasher from the closest reseller I could find. No soldering, or anything like that. Just put the clip on the PS3's NOR chip, dump firmware, patch firmware, and then flash firmware back to the PS3.

Here's a thread by baileyscream that pretty much gives you all your options along with some nice tutorials for all of them.

Reactions: Margen67

hughjorgan007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually now that I look around people are saying the 360 clip is terrible. I'd personally just order the E3 Flasher from the closest reseller I could find. No soldering, or anything like that. Just put the clip on the PS3's NOR chip, dump firmware, patch firmware, and then flash firmware back to the PS3.

Here's a thread by baileyscream that pretty much gives you all your options along with some nice tutorials for all of them.

Yes after reading around the forums the e3 is the way forward, only trouble is they are about £100 here which equates to $160 so until I find a reasonable reseller there will be no modded ps3 here lol but thanks again for your help.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Depending on whether you are NOR or NAND, The E3 Flasher is probably the most user friendly hardware downgrader, and yes 360 clips suck, they dont always seat properly and people have had issues with them alot, for the price of an e3 flasher in some countrys you can go the ODE route, they are still making progress on them, and more and more homebrew will run in conjunction with it on latest OFW, emulators etc, But mainly for Backups, http://www.cobra-ode.com/ .Plus side to the e3 Flasher is you can use on multiple units and downgrade your friends etc, i have 2 old phats im gonna get round to doing sometime, but they both need reflowing and i would prefer to get it done professionally than a quick homejob :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D