Gaming Is Pokemon X and Y beatable without the touch screen and circle pad?

Is Pokemon XY beatable without these items (choose any of the first three, OR the last item)

• Can't be beaten without the shoulder buttons.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't be beaten without the touch screen.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Can't be beaten without the circle pad.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • None of the above (the game is completely finishable with the above buttons broken)

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I've got a strange question for you. Say I've got a 3DS with a broken touch screen, circle pad, and (possibly) shoulder buttons. The only usable buttons on this hypothetical 3DS are the d-pad and ABXY. Can I still beat the game?

I know a lot of minigames will not be accessible. But will the core menus be usable? Can I get through the entire single-player game, catch any Pokemon I want to catch, and complete all of the main sidequests with this broken 3DS?

I've played through the game, but I don't remember all of the nuances or if there's a part where you have to use some of these things to proceed. Thanks.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmn for what I know, you can beat the game with just these buttons, but you should fix the other things, the 3DS have a lot of great games, but you need the touch screen, L/R Buttons and the stick, good luck!! ;D

All the buttons are working on my unit, and I do have a lot of games on the 3DS that I enjoy a lot, but I'm cooking up a project and I needed to know the answer to this question. If I'm successful I'll post about it on GBAtemp in a few weeks. Thanks!

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion yes. As long as the touch screen is viewable, the a x & y buttons work. But it won't be using all 100% of the games features.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are thinking twitch plays Pokemon X/Y, you are going to run into other issues. Primarily, there isn't currently a real 3DS emulator (and likely won't be for at least a little while longer; somebody will need to dump decrypted firmware first). It might be possible to rig up some sort of franken-3DS with an HDMI output feeding to a capture card, and gpio/serial pins connected to the controls and actually run the game off of a a real 3DS. Still, I think there were parts of the game that at least required the use of the circle pad, I'm fairly sure you had to use the skates at Shalour City Gym to get to Korrina (only accessible via grind rails), and maybe at a couple other points. Again, assuming that this is for some TPP sort of thing, this could be overcome by having the circle pad 8 cardinal directions be available in democracy which would hold it for some fixed amount of time. If the idea is something more along the lines of porting it to work on an existing open source Pokemon Engine (Pokemon 3D is really cool), then this could be overcome by replacing the grind rails with normal ground.

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skates are activated when you use the circle pad and deactivated so you can walk when you use the d-pad. I think there's a road where you have to skate so I'm not sure if you can use the dpad since you can't walk there.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No.
I believe you'll get stuck in the 3rd gym and never be able to progress.
And some other points im sure

Not to mention never being able to use amie, super training, PSS and other things.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

DeadlySins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta agree with others. I can think of at least one instance where using the circle pad is absolutely necessary (the third gym, as Black-Ice mentioned) so if you don't have it you're done. The circle pad is used in a lot of places to get onto rails, but I know for a fact it's necessary in the third gym. You can't get to the Gym Leader without it.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I gotta agree with others. I can think of at least one instance where using the circle pad is absolutely necessary (the third gym, as Black-Ice mentioned) so if you don't have it you're done. The circle pad is used in a lot of places to get onto rails, but I know for a fact it's necessary in the third gym. You can't get to the Gym Leader without it.

Isn't the roller skates auto in the 3rd gym?

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are thinking twitch plays Pokemon X/Y, you are going to run into other issues. Primarily, there isn't currently a real 3DS emulator (and likely won't be for at least a little while longer; somebody will need to dump decrypted firmware first). It might be possible to rig up some sort of franken-3DS with an HDMI output feeding to a capture card, and gpio/serial pins connected to the controls and actually run the game off of a a real 3DS. Still, I think there were parts of the game that at least required the use of the circle pad, I'm fairly sure you had to use the skates at Shalour City Gym to get to Korrina (only accessible via grind rails), and maybe at a couple other points. Again, assuming that this is for some TPP sort of thing, this could be overcome by having the circle pad 8 cardinal directions be available in democracy which would hold it for some fixed amount of time. If the idea is something more along the lines of porting it to work on an existing open source Pokemon Engine (Pokemon 3D is really cool), then this could be overcome by replacing the grind rails with normal ground.
Thanks for reminding me of that gym (and to the others). Just a little more work needs to be done then.

FlareTheFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
If you were going for just the adventure aspect, it may indeed work. But like the others mentioned, it's going to be tough without the circle pad. I'm not sure if the skates are auto or not in the 3rd gym. If they are, I still think it's going to be a little difficult to complete.
If you were completing the pokedex, that's a different story. The touchscreen would be invaluable for PSS and the GTS, I think.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OMG its coolbho3000 the admin of ProjectPokemon and the coder of that android App....

hoenn confirmed

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just grabbed my 3DS from home and visited the gym in question. The rails are not automatic and you definitely need the circle pad to beat the game.

OMG its coolbho3000 the admin of ProjectPokemon and the coder of that android App....

hoenn confirmed

Hi :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1