Is the Sega Genesis Flashback HD worth it?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking it might be a good addition to my collection if it allows me to load it with a collection of the best Sega games. Is it possible or worth it?

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe. Rumour has it Sega dropped AtGames for it.
Can't blame them, it was a piss poor attempt at making anything decent. Nintendo seems to be the only one investing and checking the quality on these new Retro or Classic consoles everyone started making

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't blame them, it was a piss poor attempt at making anything decent. Nintendo seems to be the only one investing and checking the quality on these new Retro or Classic consoles everyone started making
Sega had no excuse. Sony could at least claim to not own the IP to the best games (which is unfortunately also the problem the N64 and up have)

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sega had no excuse. Sony could at least claim to not own the IP to the best games (which is unfortunately also the problem the N64 and up have)
The N64 and good third party support? Other than Rare, that's not really the case. But admitedly, some Rare games like Banjo or Conker missing from an N64 classic would have to be expected (as Rare is owned by Microsoft now), slightly dropping the nostalgia effect on this one.

In regards to the Sega Flashback HD: When Sega announced it, I was full of hope. "Finally a first party effort from SEGA bringing a proper mini console" - then AtGames announced they were making it and I curbed my enthusiasm.

Now that AtGames seemingly has been kicked out of the project, my hopes are up again. But I think it's too soon to say how good it will really be, we'll have to wait for any review units showing up.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The N64 and good third party support? Other than Rare, that's not really the case. But admitedly, some Rare games like Banjo or Conker missing from an N64 classic would have to be expected (as Rare is owned by Microsoft now), slightly dropping the nostalgia effect on this one.

In regards to the Sega Flashback HD: When Sega announced it, I was full of hope. "Finally a first party effort from SEGA bringing a proper mini console" - then AtGames announced they were making it and I curbed my enthusiasm.

Now that AtGames seemingly has been kicked out of the project, my hopes are up again. But I think it's too soon to say how good it will really be, we'll have to wait for any review units showing up.

This IS indeed true but honestly? Nintendo has been able to, in the past, reason some questionable parties into questionable things. I wouldn't be surprised if they could reason for such a license...

As for the answer to the post...
You want Genesis emulation? There are such cheap ways to do it and not need to rely on the hardware/emulation problems that this device may give you.
Want something close to a real Genesis? Then buy a real Genesis. They really aren't that expensive.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
This IS indeed true but honestly? Nintendo has been able to, in the past, reason some questionable parties into questionable things. I wouldn't be surprised if they could reason for such a license...

As for the answer to the post...
You want Genesis emulation? There are such cheap ways to do it and not need to rely on the hardware/emulation problems that this device may give you.
Want something close to a real Genesis? Then buy a real Genesis. They really aren't that expensive.

I doubt we'll see many, if any, RARE games on any hypothetical N64 Mini. MS have released RARE Replay with Banjo, etc. on it, although there may be a chance for the 'shared IP' games e.g. DK64.

The downside to real hardware is that it can quickly become a pain e.g. choosing a 'better' model, HDMI conversion (if necessary), stereo sound, wear and tear, etc. and on top of this you'll need a flash cart if you want ROMs on it.

Personally, I'd just look at finding a decent emulator unless you really want the most 'authentic' experience and willing to put the money/effort in.

Reactions: Deleted User

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt we'll see many, if any, RARE games on any hypothetical N64 Mini. MS have released RARE Replay with Banjo, etc. on it, although there may be a chance for the 'shared IP' games e.g. DK64.

The downside to real hardware is that it can quickly become a pain e.g. choosing a 'better' model, HDMI conversion (if necessary), stereo sound, wear and tear, etc. and on top of this you'll need a flash cart if you want ROMs on it.

Personally, I'd just look at finding a decent emulator unless you really want the most 'authentic' experience and willing to put the money/effort in.

Nope. If you are buying a legitimate Genesis then HDMI and etc. should be out of the question. Not only do you NOT want to convert since the aesthetics of glass televisions look best, you also should just, as you said, emulate on other devices if you want all of the extra fancy stuff. If you want to emulate then there really isn't much reason to get this since cheaper products with probably better performance exists.

D

Deleted User

If you want to buy something then buy a copy of Sega Genesis Collection on the platform of your choice. You could go all the way and buy a Genesis and Mega Everdrive. My personal recommendation is something you probably don't want to hear; download a few ROMs and an emulator.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay