Gaming Is the Switch future compatible with a new digital-only infrastructure for Gen 9th consoles?

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
ALL VIDEO GAMES ARE DIGITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carts, discs, flash memory, are just ways to store digital binary data. Atari games? Digital. NES games? Digital. Physical games? Digital.

you mean all download, not all digital.
If it was possible to downvote here, i would downvote your comment.

Skickat från min F8331 via Tapatalk

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops I was wrong. I looked on Amazon and saw a bunch of 256 gigs at 20$ but I just took a look at then and found at they were all fake. Its more like 120$ for a 256 gig.

This is why the Sandisk 200GB is the best price so far. 200GB for ~$70 is a lot better than ~$120 for a 256GB. That is why I put a 200GB one in my Switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's funny seeing that fucking PC games still have physical media, we know Nintendo won't stop producing physical media for a long time as they strand away from Microcuck and Soy. I'm a PC and Nintendo gamer so PS and Xbox going fully digital (despite how stupid that sounds) won't affect me

Um, most games are still digital, as they use stuff like Steam, Battle.net, and Origin. The discs included are either fake cardboard or contain an old version of the game. The disc version is nothing more than a convenience for people with slow internet since they can install most of the game from disc and any updates can be downloaded afterward.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why the Sandisk 200GB is the best price so far. 200GB for ~$70 is a lot better than ~$120 for a 256GB. That is why I put a 200GB one in my Switch.

Um, most games are still digital, as they use stuff like Steam, Battle.net, and Origin. The discs included are either fake cardboard or contain an old version of the game. The disc version is nothing more than a convenience for people with slow internet since they can install most of the game from disc and any updates can be downloaded afterward.

Yes, but the difference is that those services make re-downloading easy, rarely having to repurchase. Nintendo is archaic in that you have to repurchase or go through PITA process by calling them and getting it back. How convenient. Until Nintendo has a Steam-like service, I wouldn't touch digital games with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: OctolingRift

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wonder when Sony and Microsoft will release ther 9th gen consoles
Nothing stronger than XB1X is going to be released in the console market for quite some time (~4 years). That said, it's obviously a desperation play by Microsoft and not many people are going to take the bait at that price point with so few exclusives. It's the most modern example of why stronger console doesn't always mean better console. It's also why Sony will be able to coast with PS4 Pro for a long time as well.

Last edited by Xzi,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing stronger than XB1X is going to be released in the console market for quite some time (~4 years). That said, it's obviously a desperation play by Microsoft and not many people are going to take the bait at that price point with so few exclusives. It's the most modern example of why stronger console doesn't always mean better console. It's also why Sony will be able to coast with PS4 Pro for a long time as well.

True

Reactions: Xzi

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What they should have done is include some storage on the dock, and had access to all your games when docked, or you can swap out what's on the dock and what's on the console for when you take your Switch out with you.
Yea so a $559 price tag with that idea

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really... The switch wouldn't be able to handle a all digital market due to its low amount of internal memory. Although their are memory cards they wont be able to hold that many games especially triple AAA games that can be 50 gigs. The only way the switch would be able to surive an all digital market is if sd cards are made which can hold 1 to 2 tb or at least 500 gig. Their are now 256 gig sd cards that are 20 $ but still that wont be enough...

where are you finding a 256 GB SD card that isnt a fake? Most 256 GB cards i've seen are past the 130 USD range.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but the difference is that those services make re-downloading easy, rarely having to repurchase. Nintendo is archaic in that you have to repurchase or go through PITA process by calling them and getting it back. How convenient. Until Nintendo has a Steam-like service, I wouldn't touch digital games with a ten foot pole.

Definitely not a PITA on the Switch. It was a fairly simple process. Of course, I'm not sure if I unlinked my previous console or not. Oh welllllll...

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
i hope not.

i hate digital for consoles as i feel their sales are always way more rubbish than their PC counterparts.

On nintendo especially, all games would be so overpriced with no re-sale value.

no thanks.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not a 9th gen console its a replacement for the wiiu because it failed why do you think it got mario kart 8 deluxe instead of a new mario kart game and its getting all these wii u ports.

It's "Wii U Pro". They can try to fool us with that shiny red logo but when you navigate dat system menu and see that lovely Wii U blue and white, you feel right at home :) -now Nintendo, where the frak is my menu music?!?!?!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have poor memories.

Both playstation and xbox wanted their latest consoles to be digital only. Do you not remember the huge huge backlash of the reveal of the xbox one and digital only? Less remembered is how Sony was taking the exact same position, but they backed off when everyone vowed to not buy an xbox until microsoft reversed their decision.

Of course they want digital only. It is only positives for them. Complete control over sales and distribution, complete ability to track ALL numbers, less overhead, less materials, more control over the rights of ownership (physical owners have more legal rights to use software than digital owners), among other things. The *only* reason they don't do it now is because of potential backlash. Digital is great for these companies, whereas physical is far better for the consumers' rights. Expect them to keep trying to turn everything all-digital, and expect people to keep fighting this.

Nintendo...well, they tend to be a bit more consumer friendly. So they'll probably keep trying to do physical for as long as it makes sense. With bigger and bigger sizes for games, who knows how long this will be possible.

Last edited by osaka35,

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm never buying a full priced digital game ever, i guess digital is fine but not preferred for small cheap indie games, or last gen games sold at a deep discount.
even if the game cartridge is only 1MB and contains nothing but the rights to play the game in the console it's in that would be fine if there was cheap enough vastly expandable storage.
lets let pc gamers keep their digital only infrastructure at least on steam you'll probably still be able to redownload all your games in 25 years.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People have poor memories.

Both playstation and xbox wanted their latest consoles to be digital only. Do you not remember the huge huge backlash of the reveal of the xbox one and digital only? Less remembered is how Sony was taking the exact same position, but they backed off when everyone vowed to not buy an xbox until microsoft reversed their decision.

Of course they want digital only. It is only positives for them. Complete control over sales and distribution, complete ability to track ALL numbers, less overhead, less materials, more control over the rights of ownership (physical owners have more legal rights to use software than digital owners), among other things. The *only* reason they don't do it now is because of potential backlash. Digital is great for these companies, whereas physical is far better for the consumers' rights. Expect them to keep trying to turn everything all-digital, and expect people to keep fighting this.

Nintendo...well, they tend to be a bit more consumer friendly. So they'll probably keep trying to do physical for as long as it makes sense. With bigger and bigger sizes for games, who knows how long this will be possible.
if they go digital only, consoles will die, and i present you the proof of pspgo with his digital only system, it was a huge failure,a day a console comes out with digital only and no way to read any media it will flop big time like ouya, shield stuff and so on, no digital store only console has ever suceeded.

i'm never buying a full priced digital game ever, i guess digital is fine but not preferred for small cheap indie games, or last gen games sold at a deep discount.
even if the game cartridge is only 1MB and contains nothing but the rights to play the game in the console it's in that would be fine if there was cheap enough vastly expandable storage.
lets let pc gamers keep their digital only infrastructure at least on steam you'll probably still be able to redownload all your games in 25 years.
nope if the company goes down so goes your downloads since steam is not gonna keep hosting servers if the company goes bankrupt, someone has to pay steam to keep the files hosted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone