PS1/2 Is there a downside to getting an older PS3?

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
One of my friends wanted to buy a PS3 that could play older PS2 games(wish I could afford one
rolleyes.gif
), thankfully since the PS3 hardly sells here in Egypt, few units of the old stock was still available. So after my friend and I went tracking a unit down, he asked me if there's any downside to getting an older unit.

Sony must be really stupid to discontinue PS2 support from all models, they should've kept it with the highest priced model at least or something..

So is there any disadvantages? Just making sure before we go and buy it for him.

Thanks!

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have a 60gig japanese modle, and i dont have a problem with it. but i havent tested out the ps2 compatibility because i dont have a japanese ps2 game to test it out on. but all the problems that my model was suppose to have with installing the MGS4, but didnt have. i say, if you take some time before installing the newer update then you do save some problem. but i dont have any problems wit my ps3.

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Extreme Coder said:
One of my friends wanted to buy a PS3 that could play older PS2 games(wish I could afford one
rolleyes.gif
), thankfully since the PS3 hardly sells here in Egypt, few units of the old stock was still available. So after my friend and I went tracking a unit down, he asked me if there's any downside to getting an older unit.

Sony must be really stupid to discontinue PS2 support from all models, they should've kept it with the highest priced model at least or something..

So is there any disadvantages? Just making sure before we go and buy it for him.

Thanks!
nope not really any disadvantages, the reason sony removed ps2 compatabitly was to cheapen the cost of the ps3 and also to make people focus more ps3 games rather than ps2, at the moment sony is playing around with software emulation on the ps3 so that any ps3 version could play ps2 games

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Well, according to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_PlayStat..._configurations
Some units have all the hardware needed, while only 2 other units have software emulation. All the newer units have no backwards compatibility of any sort.

And Sony must be pretty stupid if they think all people are OK with missing out on PS2's best games. I mean, Persona 4 just came out a while ago, didn't it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2