Homebrew Is there a way to spoof amiibo for ingame use?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna be that one asshole and say since it patches a firmware module it actually is a custom firmware.
That's a patch, not a custom firmware. In actual terms, Luma (and all the other "custom firmwares") isn't a custom firmware. It's a loader with sets of memory patches. I guess at the time of conception, it was more simple for the layman to refer to these loaders as "custom firmware" and it just stuck.

Semantics aside, NoAmii still wouldn't be considered a custom firmware as far as 3DS terminology goes because it's just a system module that replaces the native NFC module in memory, which requires a custom firmware to even make use of.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
That's a patch, not a custom firmware. In actual terms, Luma (and all the other "custom firmwares") isn't a custom firmware. It's a loader with sets of memory patches. I guess at the time of conception, it was more simple for the layman to refer to these loaders as "custom firmware" and it just stuck.

Semantics aside, NoAmii still wouldn't be considered a custom firmware as far as 3DS terminology goes because it's just a system module that replaces the native NFC module in memory, which requires a custom firmware to even make use of.
it replaces a firmware module, custom firmware.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
it replaces a firmware module, custom firmware.
Through memory patching...If it permanently replaced it on the NAND it'd be closer to being called a custom firmware, but even then it'd just be a firmware customization. "Custom firmware" is firmware that replaces the entire stock firmware, which nothing in the 3DS scene does.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Through memory patching...If it permanently replaced it on the NAND it'd be closer to being called a custom firmware, but even then it'd just be a firmware customization. "Custom firmware" is firmware that replaces the entire stock firmware, which nothing in the 3DS scene does.
the firmware module is still replaced, no? therefore it is a custom firmware, albeit temporary.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
the firmware module is still replaced, no? therefore it is a custom firmware, albeit temporary.
No, that's a fallacy. Think of something like Action Replay or GameShark. It's the exact same concept. "Custom firmware" denotes that the entire stock firmware is entirely replaced, and in this case it's not.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
No, that's a fallacy. Think of something like Action Replay or GameShark. It's the exact same concept. "Custom firmware" denotes that the entire stock firmware is entirely replaced, and in this case it's not.
When using this the firmware isn't the same as before, if it's not the original then it's the custom firmware, the entire thing doesn't need to be replaced for it to be different.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
When using this the firmware isn't the same as before, if it's not the original then it's the custom firmware, the entire thing doesn't need to be replaced for it to be different.
There seems to be some confusion here. Firmware customizations aren't the same as custom firmware. The "custom" implies that the firmware itself was developed from the ground up in order to be a replacement for the factory firmware of a device. Android ROMs are custom firmware, for example. When it comes to the 3DS we're just throwing memory patches at the factory firmware. Think of Luma and all the others as add-ons for the stock firmware. They enhance the firmware, but they don't actually replace it. However, now that sighax is available to everyone, writing a true custom firmware complete with custom home menu (think of an XMB or Xbox Dashboard style menu) is totally possible now. This makes me rather nostalgic for the PSP days when people actually did this. It's a shame nobody has put forth the initiative with the 3DS yet.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of argument this is, a customization to a firmware of any kind means it is a custom firmware, unless my definition of the word custom is wrong.
Alright so, for whatever reason I'm not conveying this properly enough. Again, a "custom firmware" is a homebrew firmware that replaces the entire firmware of a device. I used Android ROMs as an example because I honestly can't think of a better one. Actually, I take that back. Check out Rockbox. That is a true custom firmware. It totally replaces the factory OS of whatever device it is installed on. Customizing the stock firmware isn't the same as installing a custom firmware. Just because you patch the UX style DLLs on Windows and install a custom visual style doesn't mean it's not Windows anymore, right?

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Alright so, for whatever reason I'm not conveying this properly enough. Again, a "custom firmware" is a homebrew firmware that replaces the entire firmware of a device. I used Android ROMs as an example because I honestly can't think of a better one. Actually, I take that back. Check out Rockbox. That is a true custom firmware. It totally replaces the factory OS of whatever device it is installed on. Customizing the stock firmware isn't the same as installing a custom firmware. Just because you patch the UX style DLLs on Windows and install a custom visual style doesn't mean it's not Windows anymore, right?
I completely understand where you're coming from, and what you're saying logically seems more correct. It technically is a custom firmware, since it's not the original and meant to replace the original, also made by the community, it's custom.

D

Deleted User

Then a firmware with that patch is a custom firmware but it itself isnt

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lol
Look at the link given, there is a tutorial of how to install this, thats a *thing* that replaces the part of the 3ds that handles amiibo and makes it think there is an amiibo present. This isnt super stable but its good enough...
If you want something that always works, on 3ds, wiiu and the switch and cant be patched- you need to buy nfc tags and "burn" amiibo on them. Google it, there is a mobile app for that and also a 3ds app made by same person who made this system module

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There seems to be some confusion here. Firmware customizations aren't the same as custom firmware. The "custom" implies that the firmware itself was developed from the ground up in order to be a replacement for the factory firmware of a device. Android ROMs are custom firmware, for example. When it comes to the 3DS we're just throwing memory patches at the factory firmware. Think of Luma and all the others as add-ons for the stock firmware. They enhance the firmware, but they don't actually replace it. However, now that sighax is available to everyone, writing a true custom firmware complete with custom home menu (think of an XMB or Xbox Dashboard style menu) is totally possible now. This makes me rather nostalgic for the PSP days when people actually did this. It's a shame nobody has put forth the initiative with the 3DS yet.
"I made my own, custom lego build out of this lego pack by adding shit on top of it and changing a bit here and there" is technically correct to say. Custom means (afaik) that it was "costumized", or modified to your liking, and not built from ground up. A custom 3ds cover can be a cover bought from some place and which afterward was painted and stuff to your liking, not built from ground up (you didnt 3d print the thing) so adding patches makes a firmware - custom, but the patches themselves arent a firmware, let alone a custom firmware, and the given thing is a patch/module and not an entire firmware, so talking about what a cfw is or isnt even related here

Reactions: kindacozi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1