Is Windows Vista Ultimate Good?

DoggaDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People always said, "Vista is trash!" But personally, I thought Vista was a good computer, but I've never heard of Windows Vista Ultimate, and when I saw It earlier today, I was wondering If Vista Ultimate is good? Bad? Great? Awful!?

Reactions: Alexander1970

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Microsoft more or less builds one (client) operating system and enables/disables functions according to the license key you entered. If I remember that correctly on Windows XP it was just one boolean variable in the registry that made it Home or Professional.
Vista Ultimate just enables all functions – full license.

I’m not familiar with modern Windows and never participated on the Vista bashing. What I do remember was, that many computers of that time were severely underpowered and had not enough RAM for running Vista in a sensible way which made it feel slow, unresponsive and outright BAD.

Some of the earlier problems were fixed with the Service Packs 1 and 2 and on my (admittedly very limited) tests I never saw much difference between Vista and 7 on strong enough computers.

I wouldn’t use Vista considering it’s no longer supported, outside of controlled situations (e.g. VMs) for legacy reasons.
Not for online use at least. I still use XP and 98SE – offline.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Vista Ultimate is just another edition of Vista.

Vista Home Premium for example had Windows Media Center included with it, however you couldn't remote desktop to a Vista Home Premium machine.

Vista Business didn't include Windows Media Center, however you could remote desktop to it.

Vista Ultimate had Windows Media Center and the ability to remote desktop to it, in addition to other features and Ultimate edition extras.

Personally I liked Vista at the time, it forced manufacturers to release 64bit drivers and worked fine on more modern hardware.

Sadly a lot of the issues were OEM's installed Vista on PC's with 512mb of ram, which just wasn't enough, however was perfectly fine for Windows XP.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly a lot of the issues were OEM's installed Vista on PC's with 512mb of ram, which just wasn't enough, however was perfectly fine for Windows XP.
Exactly. This "only 512MB of RAM" for a Vista computer was a crazy idea. I had to deal with this problem when very unsatisfied fellow students came to me – After they had just bought the new cheapest laptop available.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share