Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:
8BitWalugi said:
mercluke said:
Retal said:
Implying that he should continue to develop the project for the remainder of his life.
>copying everything steven does to try and be cool
>Thinking this is 4chan
>not getting the reference

>Using annoyingly bright text.

Okay, this whole "conversation" is going nowhere. R4 users shouldn't care about having fancy features, they should care about compatibility. And since compatibility relies on a firmware which is now dead, it's pretty much end of the road. I wouldn't nitpick on features for YSMenu when a R4 shouldn't have many features at all.

Just buy a better flashcart if you want more features. Cyclos are packed with little features, go get one of those.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What YSMenu should have:
-User Friendly start menu.
-RTS (Real Time Save).
-User Friendly cheat menu (make a new design for YSMenu, don't make it similiar to R4).
-Automatic Updates.
-Can support other loader/firmware (not just DSTT).
-Can support all cards without DLDI Patching (i know that's IMPOSSIBLE).
-Can play video files without MoonSell, and no need to convert its file.
-etc
-etc
-etc

amaro

Trophies
XP
Country
the Yasu is not dead, he's just hibernate.
lecture.gif

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Okay, this whole "conversation" is going nowhere. R4 users shouldn't care about having fancy features, they should care about compatibility. And since compatibility relies on a firmware which is now dead, it's pretty much end of the road. I wouldn't nitpick on features for YSMenu when a R4 shouldn't have many features at all.

Just buy a better flashcart if you want more features. Cyclos are packed with little features, go get one of those.

Come comrade, and leave this bourgeoisie children, they know nothing of function over form.

Honestly, YSMenu should be doing ONE THING, and that is making games playable, nothing else 'should' be added; They would just be nice to have.

And even then it should only be doing that as long as it is still an active project, but it's not. So now the only thing it SHOULD be doing, is being used and appreciated by people who it is available to, to use as an alternative to the now [also] dead R4 firmware.

bekar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.omgpop.com
XP
Country
United States
R4 was one of the first DS Flashcards.
I don't see why it SHOULDN'T have many features.

Plus YSMenu is also usable on other Cards, so updating it would be beneficial to a LOT of people.
grog.gif

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its been a year since YSMenu was last updated, but people want YSMenu to able to play MP3s.... i wish Yasu is adding WINE to YSMenu.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
bekar said:

Plus YSMenu is also usable on other Cards, so updating it would be beneficial to a LOT of people.
grog.gif
Yes but the Supercard users & Acekard users have better firmwares & since YSMenu uses the DSTT firmware DSTT users don't really need except for organization which means it only really R4 users who use it.

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bekar said:

grog.gif
Well the best the R4 ever was or will be was when it was supported by the real R4 team.
Since they were forced to close down a while ago the R4 has been in a downward spiral.
The reason R4 shouldn't have lots of features is because it was one of the first SLOT-1 flashcards. It was not built to do what the cards now do. It's biggest selling point was 100% compatability. Which even if R4 was still here it would not have. YSmenu is a homespun loader that uses a knock off cards firmware for updates.
Really what do you want this thing to do?
Compatability is all a R4 owner should care about. I thought the R4 was the best when it was. Now it is just a door that opened to show that it could be done.
If Yasu does keep it up he can only go so far.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bekar said:

grog.gif
R4 was one of the first DS Flashcarts. If you think about it, when the first flashcart was released, you wouldn't have expected people to want features. All they expected was for people to want a flashcart that could load games and use cheats. It's as simple as that.

After that was released, other companies came along with their own flashcarts. They decided to advance a little further than the first few flashcart companies. These newer companies were the ones that helped accept the ideas and suggestions that others made... Then they decided to implement those features to their own flashcarts.

I am not trying to contradict or start a fight or even stop this project... I am just trying to make a point in what you said...

And by the way, those other cards... Wanna name them for me?
The only flashcarts that are famous for using YSMenu are the R4 Fakes, the R4 and the DSTT. Every other flashcart has their own firmware that people are proud of using. Isn't the AceKard capable of running YSMenu? Yeah it is... But you already have an alternative firmware to use which is akAIO.

For the people that want to use skins with YSMenu, read this thread. After doing a quick search, I found this thread for skinning YSMenu. I haven't tried it myself, but it is still worth trying out...

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
mercluke said:
8BitWalugi said:
mercluke said:
Retal said:
Implying that he should continue to develop the project for the remainder of his life.
>copying everything steven does to try and be cool
>Thinking this is 4chan
>not getting the reference
>assuming I'm not getting the reference

bekar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.omgpop.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's been AGES since the R4 was out, so why isn't this the right time to bring out features?

Other flashcards have features. Why not R4?
A simple question.

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
For the people that want to use skins with YSMenu, read this thread. After doing a quick search, I found this thread for skinning YSMenu. I haven't tried it myself, but it is still worth trying out...

Oh I know how to skin it, it's skins just don't have any of the same abilities the R4 kernel had.

I don't really understand all the hate the R4 gets, it was meant to do something, and it did it.
The people that want YSMenu/R4's to do more than what it was meant to do remind me of some one (Here's were I dive off the deep end.) asking for a spoon to feed themselves; And then they want a fork to be added to the spoon... well alright. Then they want a knife edge added... Umm, okay then... Oh and now they want it to put the food in there mouth for them. Then they want this freak monster Psychic Sporknife to move there jaw for them.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bekar said:
Well, it's been AGES since the R4 was out, so why isn't this the right time to bring out features?

A simple question.
Hardware limitations?

Face it... R4 died, was revived with YSMenu and then died again. Time to move on.
If you want to crusade for features to be added, let me point you in the direction AceKard.

QUOTE(Comrade Cough @ Apr 3 2010, 10:47 PM) Oh I know how to skin it, it's skins just don't have any of the same abilities the R4 kernel had.
What's YSMenu missing other than the 'Selection' screen for File Browser / Moonshell / Boot Slot2?
You can use the same skins (with slight alignment modifications) on YSMenu.

Linkpal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I want from YSMenu is compatibility, which is what I get when DSTT updates. So I'm a happy man.
smile.gif

Besides, the Supercard DSTWO is right around the corner, which is what I'm going to purchase next. But I'll probably never get rid of my R4. It's too special to me, heh.

Comrade Cough

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Comrade Cough said:
Oh I know how to skin it, it's skins just don't have any of the same abilities the R4 kernel had.
What's YSMenu missing other than the 'Selection' screen for File Browser / Moonshell / Boot Slot2?
You can use the same skins (with slight alignment modifications) on YSMenu.

I was actually going to add it to my last post, but I didn't think anyone would really care, and it's not anything that's zOMG LIMITATIONS!, It's the inability for the icons (AFIAK) menu in YSMenu to be skinned.
previewqb.png

I made this a few years ago, and just wanted to keep using it, but with YSMenu, you're only able to skin the Files Menu (So I am unable to see my pretty green flora!). It's not a big deal or anything, and only caused me a half second of "Well. Damn.
closedeyes.gif
"

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
bekar said:

A simple question.
Most people don't care for R4 because they have better flashcarts so the only support comes from universal patches.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share