Homebrew Issues with Retroarch playlists (short video example)

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to setup Retroarch on the Wii U for the last day or so and I've run into a snag with the playlists. (I'm gonna list the steps I took so that you guys can tell me if I did something wrong.)

I followed the WiP thread about Retroarch on the Wii U and opted to install the Retroarch Channel Forwarder (because I figured it would be more convenient than having to go through the HBL every time). I then decided to download the PC version of Retroarch like suggested to make the different playlists. It took me awhile to make them for each emulator core and download the thumbs for them but everything seemed to work properly. Next, I copy/pasted the .lpl files to my wii u sd card, in the retroarch/cores/playlists folder, along with the thumbnails in the retroarch/cores/thumbnails folder. I also made sure to include a bios pack, in the systems folder.

After that I put the card back into the Wii U, loaded up RA and noticed that my playlists appeared to be showing up, along with the games. Initially, the thumbnails weren't showing up, but after fiddling around with various settings, I managed to get them to appear.

That's where the problem comes in:
for some reason, when I enter any of the playlists (to select a game) it doesn't show any text for the game, only the thumbnail and screenshot. I'm able to scroll down the list as normal but I can only see the pictures; no text. I'm including a short clip that I just recorded to show exactly what it's doing.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Could it be something in the .lpl that isn't setup correctly? I mean, I can clearly see the playlists and they even show the game names as I'm scrolling the playlists themselves, but as soon as I try to go into one of them, the text disappears and I'm left with only the thumbs. I messed with every setting I could think of and nothing fixed it. Arrg, so close yet so far.

Edit: For what it's worth, I just noticed that the roms aren't being loaded from the playlist either (just tried loading one of them for the first time and got the "can't be loaded from playlist" message). I guess that means it is an .lpl issue?

Edit 2: Looking at the .lpl files with notepad, it looks like it's using the JSON format and my paths were set to my PC. I guess I should have known I was doing that wrong. I just downloaded playlistbuddy so I'm going to see if I can get this working through that (I was reluctant to download it at first because of the virus warning I was getting, but I'm assuming it was just a false positive.)

Edit 3: Well, after using Retroarch Playlist Buddy, I made some .lpl files that at least start the roms from the playlist now, but I'm still having the same issue shown in my video. On top of that, now the thumbnails aren't working either. Ugh, this is frustrating me to no end. Where exactly is the "thumbnails" folder supposed to go?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask around here and see if anyone else knew of this problem. Any help you guys can spare would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Alacres,

sbishopwsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you get the Retroarch channel forwarder to work? Every time I try to load tetrarch from the forwarder, it just goes to black screen.

I'm also having issues with getting thumbnails to show up. I had a Wii U a couple years back that I had fully up and running with Retroarch, but for some reason this time around I've been having nothing but issues. I'm starting to wonder if the 1.8.5 build is giving me the headaches. I wish I could remember the version I was running back then so I could try that again.

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I've been trying to setup Retroarch on the Wii U for the last day or so and I've run into a snag with the playlists. (I'm gonna list the steps I took so that you guys can tell me if I did something wrong.)

I followed the WiP thread about Retroarch on the Wii U and opted to install the Retroarch Channel Forwarder (because I figured it would be more convenient than having to go through the HBL every time). I then decided to download the PC version of Retroarch like suggested to make the different playlists. It took me awhile to make them for each emulator core and download the thumbs for them but everything seemed to work properly. Next, I copy/pasted the .lpl files to my wii u sd card, in the retroarch/cores/playlists folder, along with the thumbnails in the retroarch/cores/thumbnails folder. I also made sure to include a bios pack, in the systems folder.

After that I put the card back into the Wii U, loaded up RA and noticed that my playlists appeared to be showing up, along with the games. Initially, the thumbnails weren't showing up, but after fiddling around with various settings, I managed to get them to appear.

That's where the problem comes in:
for some reason, when I enter any of the playlists (to select a game) it doesn't show any text for the game, only the thumbnail and screenshot. I'm able to scroll down the list as normal but I can only see the pictures; no text. I'm including a short clip that I just recorded to show exactly what it's doing.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Could it be something in the .lpl that isn't setup correctly? I mean, I can clearly see the playlists and they even show the game names as I'm scrolling the playlists themselves, but as soon as I try to go into one of them, the text disappears and I'm left with only the thumbs. I messed with every setting I could think of and nothing fixed it. Arrg, so close yet so far.

Edit: For what it's worth, I just noticed that the roms aren't being loaded from the playlist either (just tried loading one of them for the first time and got the "can't be loaded from playlist" message). I guess that means it is an .lpl issue?

Edit 2: Looking at the .lpl files with notepad, it looks like it's using the JSON format and my paths were set to my PC. I guess I should have known I was doing that wrong. I just downloaded playlistbuddy so I'm going to see if I can get this working through that (I was reluctant to download it at first because of the virus warning I was getting, but I'm assuming it was just a false positive.)

Edit 3: Well, after using Retroarch Playlist Buddy, I made some .lpl files that at least start the roms from the playlist now, but I'm still having the same issue shown in my video. On top of that, now the thumbnails aren't working either. Ugh, this is frustrating me to no end. Where exactly is the "thumbnails" folder supposed to go?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask around here and see if anyone else knew of this problem. Any help you guys can spare would be greatly appreciated!

This is an issue with Retroarch itself, this bug was fixed for some time now. Update Retroarch to the newest version and the Playlists will work fine.

Last edited by GABO1423,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Y
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The cheat codes 911 catch the crazy drivers