iVRy PSVR2 driver nearing release for PC & Steam VR

F8yBHmvXYAAQei4.jpg

The PlayStation VR 2 is currently only officially compatible with the PlayStation 5, but due to its singular USB type C connectivity; PC support has been a curiosity since its initial reveal. The headset boasts impressive specs and a reasonable price point that, if PC support was possible, would make it a an affordable and viable alternative for many over other officially supported PC VR sets.

Now, after months of hard work and reverse engineering, the team behind the original iVRy Driver for Steam VR that allows users to use an iPhone, Android, GearVR, Oculus Mobile or original PlayStation VR headset as a PCVR compatible headset are nearing an initial release of their PlayStation VR 2 driver which will allow users to use the PSVR 2 headset on PC and Steam VR.

However there are some caveats! Their driver currently only supports AMD (RDNA2+) GPUs and requires an additional hardware, a "dongle," and a VirtualLink port (via a BizLink adapter). Also, controllers are currently not supported in any capacity, nor is eye-tracking. With these features to be supported later after release.

NVidia GPU support is planned but is currently impossible according to the team, as their driver lacks the necessary functions required. Upcoming changes planned for NVidia's VRWorks SDK and Windows GPU driver should provide the necessary facility to enable support but this is at least 6 months away according to Nvidia.

As for why the additional hardware dongle is necessary, unlike the PS5, which knows the specifics of the PSVR2 display, PCs rely on information from the display itself for setup. PSVR2, however, only provides the necessary info for cinema mode (a flat floating screen on the device with no positional tracking). To bridge this gap, a hardware "middleman" is needed to mediate between the PC and PSVR2, ensuring proper communication and compatibility.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: iVRy Driver for SteamVR (PSVR2 Premium Edition) via Steam

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

The PlayStation VR 2 is currently only officially compatible with the PlayStation 5, but due to its singular USB type C connectivity; PC support has been a curiosity since its initial reveal. The headset boasts impressive specs and a reasonable price point that, if PC support was possible, would make it a an affordable and viable alternative for many over other officially supported PC VR sets.

Now, after months of hard work and reverse engineering, the team behind the original iVRy Driver for Steam VR that allows users to use an iPhone, Android, GearVR, Oculus Mobile or original PlayStation VR headset as a PCVR compatible headset are nearing an initial release of their PlayStation VR 2 driver which will allow users to use the PSVR 2 headset on PC and Steam VR.

However there are some caveats! Their driver currently only supports AMD (RDNA2+) GPUs and requires an additional hardware, a "dongle," and a VirtualLink port (via a BizLink adapter). Also, controllers are currently not supported in any capacity, nor is eye-tracking. With these features to be supported later after release.

NVidia GPU support is planned but is currently impossible according to the team, as their driver lacks the necessary functions required. Upcoming changes planned for NVidia's VRWorks SDK and Windows GPU driver should provide the necessary facility to enable support but this is at least 6 months away according to Nvidia.

As for why the additional hardware dongle is necessary, unlike the PS5, which knows the specifics of the PSVR2 display, PCs rely on information from the display itself for setup. PSVR2, however, only provides the necessary info for cinema mode (a flat floating screen on the device with no positional tracking). To bridge this gap, a hardware "middleman" is needed to mediate between the PC and PSVR2, ensuring proper communication and compatibility.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: iVRy Driver for SteamVR (PSVR2 Premium Edition) via Steam

I think you don't need an adapter in some Radeon RX 6000 series cards that have the port natively.

When they achieve NVidea I might just buy a PSVR 2.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still feels borderline sketch for it to be a paid device driver essentially.

On the flip side I also see they support the original ps vr, and a secondhand unit of that can be had for about $100 locally. Hmm. 🤔

Reactions: Hmed

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't like VR as much as I imagined I would.

But more accessibility between platforms is a good thing.

For what reason do people think Sony would actively try to block this? Have they done so before? It will net sales and it doesn't hurt their platform.

It sounds like a petty attempt to complain about nothing.

Reactions: Hmed

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like VR as much as I imagined I would.

But more accessibility between platforms is a good thing.

For what reason do people think Sony would actively try to block this? Have they done so before? It will net sales and it doesn't hurt their platform.

It sounds like a petty attempt to complain about nothing.
Sony's pettiness is deep in their corporate DNA, and reaches into the king of underhanded things that would make nintendo legal blush.

It would not surprise me in the least if they throw a tantrum when theyr'e told they can't sue the iVRy people, because their work doesn't infringe on anything important to make their crap work. Daily.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sony's pettiness is deep in their corporate DNA, and reaches into the king of underhanded things that would make nintendo legal blush.

It would not surprise me in the least if they throw a tantrum when theyr'e told they can't sue the iVRy people, because their work doesn't infringe on anything important to make their crap work. Daily.

I'm not saying that Sony isn't petty.

I haven't seen them be petty in this way, regarding the original PSVR or other peripherals being ported to PC. However, they shut down everything that makes their platform more versatile, if they can.

I am curious how you are comparing them to Nintendo. Do you have some examples?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that Sony isn't petty.

I haven't seen them be petty in this way, regarding the original PSVR or other peripherals being ported to PC. However, they shut down everything that makes their platform more versatile, if they can.

I am curious how you are comparing them to Nintendo. Do you have some examples?
Nintendo more recently lobbied successfully to make console modifications illegal in Japan. The immediate consequence of that, was that a physical shop where the (n){2/3}DS hardware capture cards were made/sold/installed had to shut down operations immediately before the law would take effect and force the issue.

There's also the situation where Gary Bowser only got out of jail time by basically being forced to fork over 30% of his income for life to Nintendo. Or the $12m levied on some random rom site run by a couple, of all things.

Sony tried to pursue George Hotz and had no case at all. Every avenue they were trying to assert about how he broke the law was able to be debunked. Even so, they still tried to push to have him serve jail time, and even though the courts had to remind them that they failed to effectively prove he did anything wrong, only settled by some bizarro affidavit they made him sign to never touch a Sony product again.

Sony also famously bricked/banned/blocked a once licensed ps3 controller from mad katz in a system update. Their PR response was trying to assert that these controllers were used to make turbo mods to official controllers. But the issue is that the hardware block they used also broke a lot of specialty controllers (like the x-Arcade), to which Sony has never made, nor bothered to make, a suitable substitute to offer. The issue with the Mad Katz controller in particular, is that its pcb allowed easy rejiggering to make accessibility controllers, effectively ruining the ability for less than able bodied people to play ps3 games effectively. Sony, far as I know, never amended or corrected this, or offered anything during the supported life of the system. That they're even offering an "accessibility controller" now for the ps5 is a surprise; shouldn't be surprised then, that it's more expensive than the one Microsoft did for the Xbox One/Series systems.

I would also chime in and say anecdotally, Sony banning my psn account even though I'd not played the console online in more than a year; only really having it connect online to sync trophies earned and allow the wife to access her netflix account through it. No rhyme, no reason, and even when contacting support, no explanation. Even if I was banned from Xbox Live, I could at least get why spelled out by tech support.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo more recently lobbied successfully to make console modifications illegal in Japan. The immediate consequence of that, was that a physical shop where the (n){2/3}DS hardware capture cards were made/sold/installed had to shut down operations immediately before the law would take effect and force the issue.

There's also the situation where Gary Bowser only got out of jail time by basically being forced to fork over 30% of his income for life to Nintendo. Or the $12m levied on some random rom site run by a couple, of all things.

Sony tried to pursue George Hotz and had no case at all. Every avenue they were trying to assert about how he broke the law was able to be debunked. Even so, they still tried to push to have him serve jail time, and even though the courts had to remind them that they failed to effectively prove he did anything wrong, only settled by some bizarro affidavit they made him sign to never touch a Sony product again.

Sony also famously bricked/banned/blocked a once licensed ps3 controller from mad katz in a system update. Their PR response was trying to assert that these controllers were used to make turbo mods to official controllers. But the issue is that the hardware block they used also broke a lot of specialty controllers (like the x-Arcade), to which Sony has never made, nor bothered to make, a suitable substitute to offer. The issue with the Mad Katz controller in particular, is that its pcb allowed easy rejiggering to make accessibility controllers, effectively ruining the ability for less than able bodied people to play ps3 games effectively. Sony, far as I know, never amended or corrected this, or offered anything during the supported life of the system. That they're even offering an "accessibility controller" now for the ps5 is a surprise; shouldn't be surprised then, that it's more expensive than the one Microsoft did for the Xbox One/Series systems.

I would also chime in and say anecdotally, Sony banning my psn account even though I'd not played the console online in more than a year; only really having it connect online to sync trophies earned and allow the wife to access her netflix account through it. No rhyme, no reason, and even when contacting support, no explanation. Even if I was banned from Xbox Live, I could at least get why spelled out by tech support.

I understand the disdain for corporate culture as a whole, especially when it comes from modding and greater freedom on their platforms. However, in those examples there isn't a situation where Nintendo or Sony made active movement to block groups from making their peripherals usable on PC. The big three (M$, Nintendo, Sony) all have made active movements to make their platforms restricted, but even then, I don't see how Sony's actions would "make Nintendo blush".

I do wish that Sony was more transparent and accountable for your particular situation, and if that ever happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to drop them forever. But if you are getting banned from multiple services... then I suspect that there is more to the story. Are you cursing out the competition or teammates, talking about their mothers? Sony would be less inclined to be specific about that, being a Japanese company.

Last edited by tabzer,

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Still feels borderline sketch for it to be a paid device driver essentially.

On the flip side I also see they support the original ps vr, and a secondhand unit of that can be had for about $100 locally. Hmm. 🤔
oooohh a paid driver? yeah that's more ammunition for Sony to shut it down

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reviews for the PSVR version aren’t that great. And for those of you commenting on the DCMA thing… reread what I just said. :rolleyes:

And, oh, the horror! Wanting to be paid for the research, time, effort, and skill required to reverse engineer and write a driver for something that the manufacturer doesn’t want to do themselves. The nerve :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol