Apple Jailbreaking the iPod Touch

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my 8GB iPod Touch in the mail today when I came back from school. Before I do anything stupid with my iPod Touch, I want to make sure that I have the correct information before attempting to jailbreak my iTouch.

So...the information that I've gathered so far is that:

1) My 8GB iPod Touch is a 2nd generation model, I think. Model Number: A1288.

2) My software version for iTouch is v 3.1.3.

I've already noticed and read the Jailbreak Guide in the Stickies. It's just that I'm not sure if my info is correct. Also, when I opened up iTunes, it prompted me to update the software version for iTouch to 4.2, but I cancelled it, afraid that my iTouch would not be able to be jailbroken when updated. I just want to confirm info.

Also, what is the best and easy way to jailbreak an iTouch, without having to go through a series of trouble?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I've never heard of an a1 (?) model before, but I assume that it can be jailbroken untethered on 4.2.1. But If you want, you can jailbreak it on 3.1.3 right now with Spirit. Spirit requires < iTunes 10, so if you have the newer version of iTunes, just go to jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak. In Cydia, press the make my life easier button.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The model number in question is actually found in Settings > General > About. But seeing as my iPod touch 2G (old bootrom model) has "A1288" on the back as well, I think it's a safe bet that yours has the old bootrom (which can have an untethered jailbreak on 4.2.1). However, redsn0w isn't exactly the friendliest (or prettiest) GUI.

If the UI for redsn0w seems intimidating, I recommend greenpois0n and iOS 4.1 (last time I checked, Apple still allowed restoring/updating to 4.1).
smile.gif

EDIT: Or if you want to stick with 3.1.3 (understandable; 4.x is pretty crappy on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G), Spirit and Star are stupid-simple (like what metamaster said).

So, to wrap things up, if you want a simple jailbreak on...
- 3.1.3, you can use Spirit or Star.
- 4.1, you can use greenpois0n.
- 4.2.1, you can (probably) use redsn0w (actually, it has a bit more advanced UI).

Have fun hacking your device!
smile.gif

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
Well, I've never heard of an a1 (?) model before, but I assume that it can be jailbroken untethered on 4.2.1. But If you want, you can jailbreak it on 3.1.3 right now with Spirit. Spirit requires < iTunes 10, so if you have the newer version of iTunes, just go to jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak. In Cydia, press the make my life easier button.

Oh...sorry 'bout that. I was looking at the back of the iPod Touch.

Anyways, Model Number: MC086LL

QUOTE(Dialexio @ Dec 10 2010, 06:01 PM) The model number in question is actually found in Settings > General > About. But seeing as my iPod touch 2G (old bootrom model) has "A1288" on the back as well, I think it's a safe bet that yours has the old bootrom (which can have an untethered jailbreak on 4.2.1). However, redsn0w isn't exactly the friendliest (or prettiest) GUI.

If the UI for redsn0w seems intimidating, I recommend greenpois0n and iOS 4.1 (last time I checked, Apple still allowed restoring/updating to 4.1).
smile.gif

EDIT: Or if you want to stick with 3.1.3 (understandable; 4.x is pretty crappy on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G), Spirit and Star are stupid-simple (like what metamaster said).

So, to wrap things up, if you want a simple jailbreak on...
- 3.1.3, you can use Spirit or Star.
- 4.1, you can use greenpois0n.
- 4.2.1, you can (probably) use redsn0w (actually, it has a bit more advanced UI).

Have fun hacking your device!
smile.gif

Alright, thanks for the reply
smile.gif

Right now, I have iOS 3.1.3 on hand. I went on jailbreakme.com on my iPod Touch (I think that's what I was supposed to do). I slided to jailbreak, rebooted automatically, and went to check if anything new, such as the Installer App (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of it), appeared. Nothing appeared. It's as if the iPod Touch only rebooted...Though, I think I know what I did wrong. I think I didn't Sync. Syncing the iPod Touch means connecting the iPod Touch to the computer, right?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So... I guess I was wrong. You have an iPod touch 2G with the newer bootrom... Not a big deal though, as it can still be hacked.
wink.gif

And yes, syncing means connecting your iPod touch to iTunes. Once your iPod's synced, you can give Star another whirl (and report back on your status).

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
So... I guess I was wrong. You have an iPod touch 2G with the newer bootrom... Not a big deal though, as it can still be hacked.
wink.gif

And yes, syncing means connecting your iPod touch to iTunes. Once your iPod's synced, you can give Star another whirl (and report back on your status).

I gave Star another go again. I suppose that once you slide to jailbreak, it starts downloading, correct? Well, I didn't get that. My iPod Touch just restarts/reboots itself right when I slide the button. That isn't supposed to happen, is it?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Odd, it is supposed to load something, and then crash. You can try as many times as you want, if it didn't do anything, no harm will be done to your iPod. Worst case you can downgrade your iTunes version and use Spirit.

...Or go right to 4.1 since Apple is still signing those SHSH blobs.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, guys, most appreicated
biggrin.gif

Well, I successfully jailbroke my iPod Touch yesturday night
yay.gif

I actually spent 8 hours straight trying to jailbreak it. I was fiddling with redsn0w and then somehow came across with the Recovery option. I had about 3 iOS's downloaded on my computer (3.1.3, 4.0.8, 4.2.1), so I just opened up my iTunes and held Shift while pressing the Restore button. I updated my iPod Touch to 4.2.1 yesturday, hoping that it would be compatible with Star, but I was wrong. Anyway, I downgraded to 4.0.8 successfully and then gave Star another go. This time, it went on with "Downloading" and then "Sit Tight." Got it.
biggrin.gif

Now all I need to do is search and download for some apps (already installed the 'Program'
wink.gif
)

Again, thanks for the help guys
smile.gif

EDIT: I just downloaded some apps (they're not free apps) and successfully installed them, but when I open up iTunes 10, it seems as if iTunes deleted the downloaded apps. Is there any way of avoiding this problem?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you mean 4.0.1, since 4.0.8 doesn't exist
wink.gif

Did you buy the Ipod used? Because there is no other way that you could have gotten shsh blobs for that firmware (that is if the previous owner had already jailbroken it)
You need something called appsync. Also, when you plug you iPod, press the "transfer purchases" button to sync the cracked apps over.
By the way, you can say [Redacted]
, just don't mention it's source.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
I think you mean 4.0.1, since 4.0.8 doesn't exist
wink.gif

Did you buy the Ipod used? Because there is no other way that you could have gotten shsh blobs for that firmware (that is if the previous owner had already jailbroken it)

Oops, I do mean 4.0.1.

No, I didn't buy the iPod used. It's a brand new iPod Touch that was sent to me via mail. SHSH Blobs...I don't really know what that are. Firmwares? If you're talking about how I got the 4.0.1 iOS, then I downloaded from a site.
unsure.gif

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SHSH Blobs are Apple's digital signature that lets you restore, update or downgrade (they don't allow the last one). So when you try to do one of those, iTunes sends a request to Apple, and receives a signature. After a while, Apple stops signing firmares, so downgrading is made impossible. That's why some people (most who jailbreak their device) save those blobs, so they can downgrade later on (with a program called Tiny Umbrella).
The thing is, you updated to a firmware that Apple no longer signs successful without SHSH blobs. I can't really see how you did that.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
SHSH Blobs is Apple's digital signature that lets you restore, update or downgrade (they don't allow the last one). So when you try to do one of those, iTunes sends a request to Apple, and receives a signature. After a while, Apple stops signing firmares, so downgrading is made impossible. That's why some people (most who jailbreak their device) save those blobs, so they can downgrade later on (with a program called Tiny Umbrella).
The thing is, you updated to a firmware that Apple no longer signs successful without SHSH blobs. I can't really see how you did that.

I don't get it either. All I remember was that my iPod Touch came with iOS 3.1.3. A few hours later, I upgraded to 4.2.1. I then tried to use redsn0w, and, while in the process of jailbreaking with it, it told me that my iPod Touch was an MC model, so it could not jailbreak. When I opened up iTunes, it told me that my iPod Touch was in recovery mode, so I Restored to 4.0.1.

Oh, and I also used TinyUmbrella BEFORE using redsn0w. When I opened up TinyUmbrella, I looked into 'All Saved SHSH's' and found that I had SHSH's for 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2.1.

Even though I used TinyUmbrella, I was unable to use it to Restore to a specific iOS.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In order to downgrade, you need to use DFU Mode. My guide (and ifish's) can walk you through the steps of entering DFU Mode.
smile.gif

In order to use TinyUmbrella's SHSHs, you'll also need to click "Start TSS Server" (prior to opening iTunes!).

P.S.- For privacy reasons, I'd scrub the ECID from that picture. (The long number that begins with "42.")

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
In order to downgrade, you need to use DFU Mode. My guide (and ifish's) can walk you through the steps of entering DFU Mode.
smile.gif

In order to use TinyUmbrella's SHSHs, you'll also need to click "Start TSS Server" (prior to opening iTunes!).

P.S.- For privacy reasons, I'd scrub the ECID from that picture. (The long number that begins with "42.")

Oh, I see. DFU Mode? The process where you hold the buttons for a specific amount of time? I did that in redsn0w.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if you've managed to jailbreak and you have those SHSH blobs, you'll be fine (I just can't see how you got them)
Also, DFU mode means Device Firmare Update mode.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
Dialexio said:
smile.gif

Oh, I see. DFU Mode? The process where you hold the buttons for a specific amount of time? I did that in redsn0w.
Yup. But instead of jailbreaking, open iTunes and you'll see that it will ask you to restore the device. Since it's in DFU Mode, it should accept a downgrade to iOS 4.1.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems as if my apps are running slower than usual, even though I'm using various things simultaneously...Why is that so? So far I've only added 5 new apps and AIM and Facebook takes a while to load.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
Unfortunately, iOS 4.x runs horribly on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G (it's not due to the jailbreak)...
frown.gif

Oh for god's sake
hate2.gif
. Of all the iOS firmwares that I could've restored to...it HAD to be 4.0+ /facepalm

...Gah, I can't take this super slow performance anymore. Is it possible to downgrade to something like 3.x with a jailbroken iPod Touch?

Here comes another 'Help A Noob With Jailbreaking' series.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0