Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Old8oy
You say that “the [J]udge didn't "grant" ony access to this stuff.” I say he did.

It really comes down to who had the power to grant Sony what it wanted.
Geohot or the Judge?

If Geohot allowed (agreed with) Sony to search some dude’s house, is Sony allowed to do it?
No, the Judge had to first decide whether or not that action was relevant to the case. The Judge couldn’t just grant Sony the liberty to do it just because Geohot had agreed.

@ Maedhros

Maedhros said:
Seriously, just stop trying. People here and on the scene sites will not understand this even if it was told by god.

I guess I should have used stubborn. I inferred ignorant from stubbornness, which isn't far of what you meant. Please clarify what you meant, I would like to know how you interpret your own sentences.
Just below the response to you, I quoted Old8oy’s argument, and you still missed the actual point.
wink2.gif

Edit: too many typos to let go.
frown.gif

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sephxus said:
@Old8oy
You say that “the [J]udge didn't "grant" ony access to this stuff.” I say he did.

Geohot or the Judge?

If Geohot allowed (agreed with) Sony to search some dude’s house, is Sony allowed to do it?
No, the Judge had to first decide whether or not that action was relevant to the case. The Judge couldn’t just grant Sony the liberty to do it just because Geohot had agreed.

@ Maedhros

Maedhros said:
Seriously, just stop trying. People here and on the scene sites will not understand this even if it was told by god.

I guess I should have used stubborn. I inferred ignorant from stubbornness, which isn't far of what you meant. Please clarify what you meant, I would like to know how you interpret your own sentences.
Just below the response to you, I quoted Old8oy’s argument, and you still missed the actual point.
wink2.gif

Edit: too many typos to let go.
frown.gif

Of course, because you know more than me what I wanted to say. =/
I never quoted that argument, I only talked about the post I quoted.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephxus said:
@Old8oy

Geohot or the Judge?

I see... So rather than actually reply to what's going on and try to settle down all of the people who are grabbing their pitchforks you decide to argue over semantics. Gotcha.

Sure, the judge "granted" the subpoena...
AFTER Geohot's defense and Sony worked together to make sure no one's private data (private data as in names and addresses) was compromised. All they're trying to prove here is that more happened in Cali than in Jersey so they can move the trial.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
So what's the number I call to sue Geohot for having my privacy invaded? Not joking!

I think it's 1-800-GROW-A-PAIR

Anyone else in a similar situation would do the exact same thing to save their own ass. Price you pay for being part of a fringe community.

Holier than thou...

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
*snip
All they're trying to prove here is that more happened in Cali than in Jersey so they can move the trial.

Ok, I understand that. I understand Sony's reason for such request. So now the problem becomes: is Sony allowed to do this, or more importantly, are privacy rights being violated?

You essentially began an argument/discussion filled with errors, then defended it by mentioning something we had all read, Sony's excuse.

Clear up things first. I can agree with many things that you said, but those things back up a faulty argument. We can't really guess your actual intentions by reading comments with random ideas.

@Maedhros
hmm. I just don't get you.
sad.gif

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephxus said:
You essentially began an argument/discussion filled with errors, then defended it by mentioning something we had all read, Sony's excuse.

Clear up things first. I can agree with many things that you said, but those things back up a faulty argument. We can't really guess your actual intentions by reading comments with random ideas.

would you mind pointing all of these errors out to me so I can see about correcting them?
random ideas?

also, the first 15 pages of this thread are people who didn't read the actual request for the subpoena bitching about how violated and butthurt they feel, so you can't make a claim meant to include "we..all" with regard to reading Sony's "excuse".

how is this any different from requesting cell phone records for alibi purposes? people are not in any danger of being sued here. if you think it is violating your privacy for someone to know what state your IP address is located in, i'm sure you're already being violated in far more horrible ways than that

edit: i don't think that Maedhros is meant to be gotten
tongue.gif

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
chartube12 said:
So what's the number I call to sue Geohot for having my privacy invaded? Not joking!

I think it's 1-800-GROW-A-PAIR

Anyone else in a similar situation would do the exact same thing to save their own ass. Price you pay for being part of a fringe community.

Holier than thou...

You mean visiting his site once and not even using the DLs makes you a part of Geohot's pirate army? Fuck that shit.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
Sephxus said:

would you mind pointing all of these errors out to me so I can see about correcting them?
random ideas?

also, the first 15 pages of this thread are people who didn't read the actual request for the subpoena bitching about how violated and butthurt they feel, so you can't make a claim meant to include "we..all" with regard to reading Sony's "excuse".

how is this any different from requesting cell phone records for alibi purposes? people are not in any danger of being sued here. if you think it is violating your privacy for someone to know what state your IP address is located in, i'm sure you're already being violated in far more horrible ways than that

edit: i don't think that Maedhros is meant to be gotten
tongue.gif
Essentially, it isn't illegal yet for the government to act like "big daddy". The thing is, since Sony is a big company, the government gets more money from Sony. The person or group that has more money gets more favor from the government, so it isn't based on who is innocent, it is based on who is "better" than the other.

This world is full of wrong, but it seems the government does wrong all the time.

I am classifying two groups of people:

Anti-GeoHot | Pro-GeoHot
These type of people think GeoHot | These are the type of people
should be charged for his "crime". | who are actually smart enough
These type of people are just total | to realize that GeoHot is innocent
jerks thinking Sony is better than any | and believe Sony is just being a jerky
other citizen. | piece of crap that just wants their
| way.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:
Essentially, it isn't illegal yet for the government to act like "big daddy". The thing is, since Sony is a big company, the government gets more money from Sony. The person or group that has more money gets more favor from the government, so it isn't based on who is innocent, it is based on who is "better" than the other.

This world is full of wrong, but it seems the government does wrong all the time.

I am classifying two groups of people:

Anti-GeoHot | Pro-GeoHot
These type of people think GeoHot | These are the type of people
should be charged for his "crime". | who are actually smart enough
These type of people are just total | to realize that GeoHot is innocent
jerks thinking Sony is better than any | and believe Sony is just being a jerky
other citizen. | piece of crap that just wants their
| way.

2nd best post of the day.

I think you meant "Big Brother"

"Sony are jerky-jerk cocky-cocks and GeoHawt is my effing hero"

I by no means support Sony. I pray that Geohot wins this case. However, I don't see a problem at all with this bit of news. I've visited Geohot's blog and I'm not worried in the least (haven't seen the youtube video though...). There is nothing that Sony can do to me with my IP address.

QUOTE(chartube12 @ Mar 5 2011, 04:20 PM) You mean visiting his site once and not even using the DLs makes you a part of Geohot's pirate army? Fuck that shit.

you mean you're not a pirate? hmm...

Linkpal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I hate this, I think Sony will probably win this case.

As much as we'd like to think we own our PS3s, there's this thing called intellectual property that Sony is willing to die for. And unfortunately, we're not allowed in any of that.

In other words, we don't own Sony's software, and that's what Geohot (and really, failoverfl0w) tried to break.

Sad, I know, but until the bullshit called 'intellectual property' is abolished (never), this case will be in Sony's favor.

Erm, on the subject of our private info...I don't think we've ever truly had our privacy in...well, decades.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thank god anonymous puts up armed interventions for now.
but still i disagree on the decision that a worldwide provision should be allowed to let their IPs be read
because technically that would be making a worldwide decision on your own which technically isn't right in any form of national services.
i mean. sure, if they had the right to see the geopositioning of all the american locations O.K.
but after seeing the geopositioning globally i think they should've been in flavour to consult with the following nations which i know of:
U.N.
U.S.
EU.
and all other nations that are related to traffic control of the network usage.
but right now in my eyes i can see that this is illegal in any and every solution concerning the subject that google(youtube) is worldwide. so aslong as there won't be a limitation set on the rights until nations are agreeing to allow it. i am not going to approve of this.
with this decision and my hammer in my hand i call it finals towards this current situation at hand.
and i'll see what'll develop in the near future. good, or bad.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
As much as I hate big government, I can't really do anything until I am "an actual citizen of the United States", since for some reason kids are not considered citizens.

All of what Sony is doing is unconstitutional, but it is based on what 9 Supreme court judges are appointed, and it seems that the ones that were appointed have Sony as their favor.

ketufe

Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you look at a blog and a video you do not be a killer? Or I am mistaken?

Sony is shown more than people ridiculous they dirty themselves all alone

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bullshit. Geohot's hack did NOT allow for piracy without modification. It was usable ONLY for homebrew purposes and firmwares installed from it could be used for piracy. If you want someone to blame for piracy, blame the release groups and yourselves for charging $60 for a game. Now, I could be accused of having broken laws without pirating anything. This is fantastic. We're probably all going to be banned from PSN, too.

lowbyte

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the should better invest the earned money
to make better products instead of fighting against his customers
because no customer no money thats very simple !
or less customers & les money
but finaly seems they have to much (money)
i visited the site (but realy i dont have a related product ) & will not buy with this knowledge any Product from
now whats up with my ip ....
thx for understanding

Extremist

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hysterical kids!
rolleyes.gif

1. Sony's trying to get all the guys behind the various hacks etc. so they're getting as much info as they can, seeing what people pops up all over the place. They are NOT gonna come home to your parents place and haul your 10-year old ass in jail!

2. If you don't want to be connected with it, stay away from stuff that deals with illegal activity - simple as that!

3. There's NO privacy on the net - get used to it!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I don't understand is that they want the IP to determine where the judgment have to be held.
But, on what are they basing their decision ?
The number of downloads & visits from both states only? then the judge would have only allowed IP from both states, and not from all the world.
The IP for people outside of these 2 states will be counted for California, because github's in California? then Sony win the court location.

I think if Sony can check the IP themselves, they won't stop at just checking the visitors for both states, they will use it to make statistics, like finding the country with most hackers, seeing how many downloads have occurred to determine their loss (even if that's always fake stats, like people revisiting the website many times with dynamic IP). But I guess they have only the IP of people visiting, they can't know who visited and who downloaded.

With me, they didn't lose money, they got it. I bought the console because I could jailbreak it, and I then bought retail game which I wouldn't have done if I didn't bought the console!
both Sony and the developers earned from the jailbreak. Not all hackers are pirates.
I visited and downloaded Geohot's cfw, that doesn't mean I installed it (I didn't, I'm still using an ofw).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto