Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Old8oy said:
GundamXXX said:
Old8oy said:
these comments are hilarious. everyone is posting with their fists in the air against sony and the judge and completely missing the situation.

the judge didn't "grant" sony access to this stuff...

geohot's defense and sony reached an agreement on providing the info from geo's personal accounts. the judge merely signed at the dotted line.

geohot's defense wouldn't have agreed to this if they didn't think it would help his case. they're more concerned about protecting their client then they are a bunch of pirates.
Your comment is the hilarious one

Only a few comments are made against the judge (Ive commented as well on the judge) but most of it is because of the sheer fact that Sony is allowed to have those IP's regardless of the who authorized it

And reaching an agreement can very well be "Give us the info and we wont sue your family and friends.. kthxbai"

if this was the case then why didn't they agree to provide geo's paypal activity? it was requested by sony.

...and really? out of the 16 pages of this thread only a "few" comments are against the judge?

IP addresses don't mean shit if the ISP protects your information like most do. All you get really get from an IP is the geographical location of the service provider which is in line with the reason sony gave for requesting that info. Geohot has had access to that info through this whole thing...Sony wants the trial to take place in San Fran...Geo's lawyers know wtf they're doing.

bottom line is...this really concerns none of us. it's illegal for Sony to use the info given for any purpose aside from what was specifically requested.
Because theres a lot of politicians that wouldnt be very happy, very simple

Meh ok more then a few Ill give you that, but thats not the core of the situation
ISP's USED to protect you but thats becoming less and less the case
In the UK they cant protect you meaning that if Sony gets hold of UK IP's they can fuck them over
The US ISP's can be bought and if they cant they will buy some politicians to create a law to make them give up info

Im not saying they dont know what theyre doing, im jsut saying theyre doing whatever they can for him and if that ends up in a settlement they will take it

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is really idiotic. Who knows how many people has visited his website, who knows, maybe some just wandered onto his website by coincidence, like I did with GBAtemp.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hikaru said:
I think this is really idiotic. Who knows how many people has visited his website, who knows, maybe some just wandered onto his website by coincidence, like I did with GBAtemp.
I'm pretty sure the first time I saw a link to his site was in a news article that came up in my Google "Tech News" RSS feed. I'm sure many of his hits are completely irrelevant to Sony's case.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:

lol...

GundamXXX said:
In the UK they cant protect you meaning that if Sony gets hold of UK IP's they can fuck them over

ISP's will not give you up if there is not a direct link between your IP address and illegal activity. In the case of torrents and such, they can link your IP to a specific copyrighted file...which is pretty damning.

In the case of Geohot's CFW, they cannot link you to piracy based on your visiting his site or even downloading his files since the ability to run pirated games is not there.

edit: and being that this case is between SCEA and Geohot, it would be illegal for SCEA to pass any info gained from their requests on to SCEE
wink.gif

QUOTE(GundamXXX @ Mar 5 2011, 10:24 AM)
The US ISP's can be bought and if they cant they will buy some politicians to create a law to make them give up info

lol...US ISPs can be bought? Name me one instance where a US ISP gave someone up with zero evidence of illegal activity. They're in the business of making money and putting fear in potential customers doesn't go very far in that business. The word Comcast can't even be mentioned with a straight face as they own a majority stake in NBC Universal, meaning they have a financial interest in quite a bit of copyrighted content.

Sure, politicians have been and will continue to be bought to "create a law to make them give up info". Many such laws have already been introduced and shot down. Maybe one day they'll get one through...who knows?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Old8oy said:
GundamXXX said:

ISP's will not give you up if there is not a direct link between your IP address and illegal activity. In the case of torrents and such, they can link your IP to a specific copyrighted file...which is pretty damning.

In the case of Geohot's CFW, they cannot link you to piracy based on your visiting his site or even downloading his files since the ability to run pirated games is not there.
Its linked to the number they are trying to prove is copyrighted material. That's grey area but almost enough i think

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Old8oy said:
GundamXXX said:

Its linked to the number they are trying to prove is copyrighted material. That's grey area but almost enough i think

Good luck copyrighting a number...

I think I'm going to copyright the number 7 today. I will then proceed to sue anyone who uses the number 7 without my permission.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Old8oy said:
GundamXXX said:

lol...

GundamXXX said:

edit: and being that this case is between SCEA and Geohot, it would be illegal for SCEA to pass any info gained from their requests on to SCEE
wink.gif

QUOTE(GundamXXX @ Mar 5 2011, 10:24 AM)

lol...US ISPs can be bought? Name me one instance where a US ISP gave someone up with zero evidence of illegal activity. They're in the business of making money and putting fear in potential customers doesn't go very far in that business. The word Comcast can't even be mentioned with a straight face as they own a majority stake in NBC Universal, meaning they have a financial interest in quite a bit of copyrighted content.

Sure, politicians have been and will continue to be bought to "create a law to make them give up info". Many such laws have already been introduced and shot down. Maybe one day they'll get one through...who knows?
Im not saying it makes sense because they wont pull any data from it but polirticians are mostly idiots when it comes to internet and technology so they fear

Hmm yes because no company works ahead into the future
I mean, theyre definitly not going to get a US judge to make geohotz actions illegal at all and by doing so making the people who visit his site or instructions on how to hack a PS3 perform illegal actions... no no thats just crazy to think ahead (im not saying they will or they will succeed im just saying its a logical thing for a big comapny to get all your bases covered even if they are stupid)

Having those IP's means they have ground for further investigation of the people
They dont need proof from the website, all they need is grounds for more action to be allowed taken

And ISP's will give out your info as is the case in the UK
3 strike law and youre out also means the ISP can give your info the the claiming party

About the buying of ISP's, just because it hasnt happend yet doesnt mean it wont happen. You dont understand much of business or politics do you? in the end ISP's will be forced to give information and before that happens they will sell it to get as much money out of it as they need

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:

Is it that I don't understand business or politics? Or is it that you simply continue to retort with hypotheticals and a conspiracy theorist "everyone is corrupt" mentality? We are not in the matrix... This is not the latest Bourne movie... Everyone isn't out to get you... It's all going to be okay *pats on head*

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Old8oy said:
GundamXXX said:

Is it that I don't understand business or politics? Or is it that you simply continue to retort with hypotheticals and a conspiracy theorist "everyone is corrupt" mentality? We are not in the matrix... This is not the latest Bourne movie... Everyone isn't out to get you... It's all going to be okay *pats on head*
Ive been in business, Ive been in politics
I spend time in a multimillion business and I make it my own business to find out whats happening
Same with world politics

I dont think everyone is out to get me, what I do think is that there is a large amount of unfair people who have a lot to lose if certain information got released
And I also think that those people have a lot of money

And I also think that there is enough politicians who would work for them who in their turn have something to lose aswell

Its a simple Circle of Corruption

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would never presume that you know nothing about business or politics.

You shouldn't presume the same about me.

5% of gbatemp actually pays attention to what's going on...the other 95% reads a topic title and the mob starts marching.

There are specific, on paper, ways that Sony can use the information they gather. Anything outside of the agreement is inadmissible in any other court and any other case.

Any arguments regarding corruption and manipulation are hypothetical.

This "ruling" by the judge sets no precedent for other companies to gain access since it is based on the agreement between Sony and Geohot

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Old8oy said:

5% of gbatemp actually pays attention to what's going on...the other 95% reads a topic title and the mob starts marching.

There are specific, on paper, ways that Sony can use the information they gather. Anything outside of the agreement is inadmissible in any other court and any other case.

This "ruling" by the judge sets no precedent for other companies to gain access since it is based on the agreement between Sony and Geohot
The information itself cant be used I agree but the fact they are allowed the information can be used as examples in future cases

Ofcourse theyre hypothetical and they always will be since its all done "in the dark" but that doesnt mean its not there

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eric345 said:
wow sony thanks to you my router is missed up!!
You know, I don't think that's related...

Ziggy Zigzagoon said:
gumgod said:
This is double plus not good.
I get the reference. I was thinking of that book when I was reading this thread!
Yeah, I got the reference too.
tongue.gif
It some regards it does apply, but not to everything.

QUOTE(Old8oy @ Mar 5 2011, 03:58 PM)
I think I'm going to copyright the number 7 today. I will then proceed to sue anyone who uses the number 7 without my permission.
Hey!
mad.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
the judge didn't "grant" sony access to this stuff...

geohot's defense and sony reached an agreement on providing the info from geo's personal accounts. the judge merely signed at the dotted line
You're telling me that the judge reading both party's demands and then signing off on them is not granting them? Then why the hell does he need to sign them?
tongue.gif

Judges have the right to refuse partial passing of a request, it happens all the time.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:

Except for the precedent to GIVE OBSCENELY MORE INFORMATION THAN IS NEEDED.
But I'm sure you're right, wi r dum nd dunt reed stuf gud.

Also, you're deluded if you think the fact that Sony is Sony doesn't have anything to do with them being granted such a huge request.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Old8oy said:

So what would you classify as needed information?

What is less than a list of meaningless numbers?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
twiztidsinz said:
Old8oy said:

Certainly not the IP addresses of everyone who viewed a video.
That's a huge stretch over something more reasonable like 'everyone who downloaded a file that contains infringing material'.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
The information itself cant be used I agree but the fact they are allowed the information can be used as examples in future cases
Ofcourse theyre hypothetical and they always will be since its all done "in the dark" but that doesnt mean its not there

They are not being "allowed" the information. They are being given permission to access the information regarding Geohot's personal accounts by Geohot himself, not a judge. He denied them permission to access his PayPal account because it had nothing to do with the information they were requesting, not because "theres a lot of politicians that wouldnt be very happy".

D

Deleted User

You see, GBAtemp. This is why you need a like and dislike button for the forum. On a completely related note, I shall not be getting the NGP for this act of criminal violence bestowed upon us by a stupidly large and evil corporation such as Sony Computer Entertainment.

As if one lawsuit wasn't enough.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Law said:
twiztidsinz said:
Old8oy said:

Certainly not the IP addresses of everyone who viewed a video.
That's a huge stretch over something more reasonable like 'everyone who downloaded a file that contains infringing material'.

Glad to see you don't have an actual answer.

Deal with it. IP addresses don't mean shit anyway.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Old8oy said:

Also, you're deluded if you think the fact that Sony is Sony doesn't have anything to do with them being granted such a huge request.

lol...missed this one

there is not precedent involved here because there is no "ruling" involved. Geohot is allowing access to this info, the judge just needed to sign off on it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter