JXD S7100 / Chinese Android Gaming Tablets

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for emulators goes, I'm a huge fan of Frameskip 0, but I've discovered that my iPhone 4 can manage pretty well FS 0 in NES.EMU while my S7100B can't. It's pretty much a disappointment. They should at least be on par when it comes to SoC performance. Anyway, funnily enough, in NESOID (and Snesoid too) there's an option called "Screen Refresh Rate", which should be used only for Moto Droid 2.1 users. If you set that at 60fps, I've noticed that you can run pretty much everything at Frameskip 0 in Nesoid with little to none stuttering! I haven't tested it throughly enough with Snesoid, though. I wonder if there are other emus that let you set the Refresh rate.

As for UAE goes, I'll probably cough up and pay for AnUAE4All, I can't stand UAE4Droid and all its problems :P I'll report later on how it does work.
I guess you've nailed it, UAE4Droid must really really hate cracktros, as it hangs most times just before them.

Anyone knows for a method to save APKs of bought apps? I reflash my JXD pretty frequently, and I don't want to lose my precious app ;)

An iPhone4 is far more powerful than the S7100, I'm somewhat surprised you are comparing the two... And it's probably why you are disappointed. But then the iPhone4 is far more expensive, has a much smaller screen and lacks physical controls.

I want zero frame drops as well, but I'll accept playable even if it's not perfect if I don't have something better. As I've said before, this thing is my new retro gaming handheld device for just about anything. It won't replace my DSlite for GBA, or my PSP for PSX games because they are better at those, but for almost every other system I might want to emulate the S7100 is superior in almost every way. For example UAE on PSP is a pretty much a slide show, no matter what your play (if you can even get it to work). UAE on the S7100 is jumpy, but is far more playable and has more titles that actually work (at least my sampling) than on my PSP. Similar can be said for N64 emulation and so on.

UAE4Droid doesn't so much hate cracktros as it hates trainers... I suspect it doesn't carry the resident code or doesn't emulate well enough to run the self modifying code that those trainers tend to use. My Melon, TSRI, Crystal, etc cracktros run fine; it's when I use a trainer that things tend to break. Ooooo... Gotta try some scene demos, haven't done that yet. Arte, State of the Art, RIse, ...

About installed APK backups: I've got to go to bed, so the easy answer is Root Uninstaller, Titanium Backup or the like. If you prefer to do it by hand let me know and I'll have to dig around on my S7100 to remind myself where they are stored... But after I've got some sleep. :-)

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 for Titanium Backup. It was the one that got me to get rid of the stubborn JXD software that just wouldn't go away.

I'd still take this over an iPhone for the reasons mentioned above. Plus the emulation scene on iOs devices is apparently not as strong, so another + for android ;). Are there any games in particular causing issues with NES.EMU? I use it and I've had no problem with any games I've tried so far. I just have it on FS Auto, but I am not getting any problems running at full speed.

Dingoo-fan 32

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I found this interesting "version" of this device (it's dutch)

The image is kinda big
586725_a_web.jpg

System Specifications
• 1 capacitive TFT 7 "widescreen touch screen (17.5 cm diameter, 16:9 aspect ratio)
• 2 front speakers (stereo)
• 1 Camera (for)

• approximately 1.8 cm at thickest point
• 23.9 cm width
• 12.2 cm height

• 1 AC input 5V / 2,000 mAh adapter
• 1 mini-USB port also supports USB charging
• 1 mini-HDMI port
• 1 Micro-SD slot (max 32GB)

Configuration Buttons
• 1 Control Pad
• 2 analogue joysticks, 1 left and 1 right of the screen
• 4 action buttons A, B, X and Y
• 2 shoulder buttons L and R
• 2 option buttons, Start and Select
• 3 Android system buttons Home, Menu and Back
• 1 Power on / off button
• 1 volume + and -

Android OS 4.0.3
• 1.2 GHz processor
• Mali400 GPU
• 1GB of DDR3 memory
• 4GB storage (1GB for Android 4.0 OS, apps for installation 1GB, 2GB of free storage)
• Motion Sensor

L/R buttons, ICS... I want one! *___*

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually saw that same thing online today lol. I don't know if it is actually out or not. It seems as though Yinlips also showed off a 7 inch gaming tablet like that at some tech show a while back, but they haven't released that either. It had shoulder buttons too, so I am convinced that JXD just don't want money lol. They have even released a smaller handheld that looks like the bottom half of the 3DS but again, lacks shoulder buttons :(

Curious to see how dual analog sticks would work with Android. I heard one of the later OS builds does support proper analog sticks, but I don't have issues with the JXD S7100B's ones at all.

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a link to that? I'm not completely satisfied with my JXD S7100B at all, so I might end up getting something else then reselling it...

http://boards.dingoo...-gaming-tablet/

That is where I first saw it. It does have links to the store eventually but I have no idea if it can be ordered or not. But, it is known as the BiTT and it's on some Dutch store called Intertoys.

So what is it that you aren't satisfied with? The only issues I have with it are the size and lack of shoulder buttons. I have the issue that I remember Kidice mentioning in an earlier post, and that is the fact that you can't just put it in your pocket after you are done. I should have expected that though for the price. The Yinlips ydpg 16 is a nice pocketable device that runs android.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So what is it that you aren't satisfied with? The only issues I have with it are the size and lack of shoulder buttons. I have the issue that I remember Kidice mentioning in an earlier post, and that is the fact that you can't just put it in your pocket after you are done. I should have expected that though for the price. The Yinlips ydpg 16 is a nice pocketable device that runs android.
I'm on my 6th reflash. I dunno if the problem is with Android itself or what, but I'm having LOTS of headaches with it. Apps stop working for no reason at all.

Also, the lack of shoulder buttons is seriously disturbing :( Yet again, the DPAD is of abysmal quality. Seriously. I have to resort using the Analog (which works kinda well) nub most of the times, if I want to use a non-frustrating control.

The Kernel provided for it SUCKS. The openGL support is terrible, and the kernel is so unoptimized I can't stand it. Still no Android 4.0 ICS (massive disappointment, damn you JXD), the controls aren't supported fully in most emus I use (most will just outright refuse to use them correctly)... Crackling sound, the screen flickers on low resolutions...

Ehh, I wouldn't buy another one, that's for sure.

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, has it been causing alot of issues requiring the re-flashes? I have only done it once for a custom rom and that was it. Are there certain apps causing issues? I do get the occasional freeze, but a force close and app restart usually fixes that.

I do agree with the shoulder buttons, but it mainly causes issues for me on some fighting type games or N64. More slow-paced games are fine for touch controls. I do hear you on the d-pad too. One of the buttons squeaks loudly and they only respond on hard presses. Some games do have issues especially (FF6, Sabin's Blitz moves!). I have read that you can replace them with PSX controller buttons, but idk how well that'd work : /

Sounds like you might have a dud. The controls at least register with the emulators I use, and besides the occasional d-pad problem the others are fine. I've also had no sound/screen issues. Are you using the 'oid' or .emu emulators? They are the only ones I used.

Also, where did you get it from, if you dont mind me asking? I've heard of some sites (Chinagrabber) being bad with the products they ship. If you have alot of issues then I'd probably talk to them about getting a refund so you can buy something else. I feel bad that this thread may have made you go out and purchase an item and then have a horrible time with a dud :P

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apps just stop working. I keep hard-resetting the S7100, only to get "app has crashed" everytime. Only a reflash fixs that. Sometimes it also starts rebooting in a loop and doesn't want to start, only to start working again for no reason at all. But I guess that's Android's nice share of fault for being a a crappy OS (iOS ftw).

I mainly use oid and .emu emus, and those work fine with the buttons, but as soon as I start using Turbo Dosbox, I'm going to have a bad time :(

The crackling audio is mainly heard in DOSBox variants, the other emus don't seem to suffer from that. The screen issue is really minor, but it's enough to be noticed by me (guess I'm too used to Retina screens). I guess I couldn't ask more for $150, oh well.

Overall, I've got more software issues, than hardware issues. If only JXD would move their asses and get out a new kernel, most of the things would probably get fixed by ICS.

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I choose to ignore your compliment to iOS :P. The app crashing problems are really weird though. I haven't ever tried using a DOS emulator on it (Lack of time) but I am curious as to why that emulator wouldn't accept the hardware buttons. I noticed some apps like Sonic CD (I loved that game!) Do use the directional buttons, but there i no way I can map the hardware buttons to jump, but if I use the touch button then it messed up with the d-pad, so i need to go full touch. I guess that is expected for it though seeing as it was made for the average android device.

If you haven't already it might be worth going onto apad.tv and posting there to see if someone knows what it might be. Occasionally I see threads there with some odd issues which are sometimes hardware problems. There was one with an isuse where the battery only lasted 20 minutes. I can certainly say that hasn't been an issue for me

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I choose to ignore your compliment to iOS :P. The app crashing problems are really weird though. I haven't ever tried using a DOS emulator on it (Lack of time) but I am curious as to why that emulator wouldn't accept the hardware buttons. I noticed some apps like Sonic CD (I loved that game!) Do use the directional buttons, but there i no way I can map the hardware buttons to jump, but if I use the touch button then it messed up with the d-pad, so i need to go full touch. I guess that is expected for it though seeing as it was made for the average android device.

If you haven't already it might be worth going onto apad.tv and posting there to see if someone knows what it might be. Occasionally I see threads there with some odd issues which are sometimes hardware problems. There was one with an isuse where the battery only lasted 20 minutes. I can certainly say that hasn't been an issue for me
I'm already on apad :P My battery runs for something like 3-4 hours overclocked on 1,2GHz, so I can't complain on that. It gets a bit warm to touch, though.

It's because the emulator doesn't support freely assigning HW buttons, but only Xperia Play buttons, which weirdly don't work. In AnDOSBox they do, though (and it's in Xperia Play mode, too, iirc)...

They just look to be software issues.. I'd also love to have the full HW mouse support for some DOS games, which only Honeycomb 3.1 introduces. Damn you, JXD, I _need_ ICS!

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@_@ I figured Xperia play mode would have worked since the main difference is hardware buttons.. but rawr, I guess I don't quite get the inner workings of android.

They need to release ICS already. They have it on one of their PSV clones, but apparently it isn't a very optimised rom and alot of people end up downgrading it. It is also on the JXD 9000 or w/e, the actual tablet they released. Heck, I'd be happy with Honeycomb. I have it on my Acer tab and I just prefer the OS. It feels smoother to run. Hopefully they get around to it soon.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@_@ I figured Xperia play mode would have worked since the main difference is hardware buttons.. but rawr, I guess I don't quite get the inner workings of android.

They need to release ICS already. They have it on one of their PSV clones, but apparently it isn't a very optimised rom and alot of people end up downgrading it. It is also on the JXD 9000 or w/e, the actual tablet they released. Heck, I'd be happy with Honeycomb. I have it on my Acer tab and I just prefer the OS. It feels smoother to run. Hopefully they get around to it soon.
The S5110 has ICS and has the same CPU on it... I'm not a big Android kernel expert, but backporting it to S7100 shouldn't be hard.

Damn, if only they'd come out with that already :(

EDIT: http://www.chinaecarts.com/7inch-jxd-s7100-android-40-game-tablet-pc-p-2701.html wtf, s7100 with 4.0?!
EDIT2: Bought AnUAE4All, which is finally a good emulator for my S7100 :yay:

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The S5110 has ICS and has the same CPU on it... I'm not a big Android kernel expert, but backporting it to S7100 shouldn't be hard.

EDIT: http://www.chinaecar...-pc-p-2701.html wtf, s7100 with 4.0?!

Well they should be able to make a standalone kernal for the s7100 that has ICS on it, it's all dependent on how much work JXD feel like putting into it, but since the 5110 has it, I agree that it shouldnt be too difficult.

o.o I'd be curious to see if that store is true.. The only searches I can find that actually reference that are videos uploaded by that website. There is word floating around that it will eventually be upgradable to 4.0 but I havent seen any official word from JXD about this.

Does that emulator play the games better then? Glad to hear it!

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Well they should be able to make a standalone kernal for the s7100 that has ICS on it, it's all dependent on how much work JXD feel like putting into it, but since the 5110 has it, I agree that it shouldnt be too difficult.

o.o I'd be curious to see if that store is true.. The only searches I can find that actually reference that are videos uploaded by that website. There is word floating around that it will eventually be upgradable to 4.0 but I havent seen any official word from JXD about this.

Here's the reply:

> dear,
> s7100 has andriod4.0 os already,we are sure of that.thanks

Ok, this is officially a WTF moment. Is JXD trying to screw old users over or what?

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country

Here's the reply:

> dear,

Ok, this is officially a WTF moment. Is JXD trying to screw old users over or what?

Chinese manufacturers screwing over users? Surely not.

Reactions: 2 people

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Here's the reply:

> dear,

Chinese manufacturers screwing over users? Surely not.
*rimshot*

I also wrote to JXD. I'm by the way downloading the S5110 upgrade files. Who knows, I might be able to package a Franken-ICS for S7100B.

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the reply:

> dear,

o_o Who did you contact to get that reply? I see no proof anywhere that S7100 has 4.0

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here's the reply:

> dear,

o_o Who did you contact to get that reply? I see no proof anywhere that S7100 has 4.0
The site I linked just a while ago :rofl: Anyway, the ApadTV admin closed my topic on their forum about this, saying that they lie about it just to sell.

Looks like we now know what happened :P

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The S7100B seems to get seriously flakey when the battery is close to exhausted. I've experienced RP's instability issues and boot problems a few times and thought I was going to need to re-flash mine as well, in the past I always did. The time that happened that I didn't immediately re-flash (and then quit doing so there after) I managed to get in to safe mode and realized that the battery was almost completely empty.

I had been using it for a fair amount of time and then left it sitting on my desk plugged in (or so I thought, I had accidentally knocked the power supply loose from the power strip under my desk) and on. I went to do something else and when I came back my S7100 had turned itself off. When I tried to power it on it stuck cycling at the wifi boot screen, holding down the menu button got me into safe mode where I noticed the dead battery and then the device started to power down. Realizing that the power supply had come loose at that point I plugged it back in and tried again w/ similar results. After 5 or 10 minutes on the charger, I could get it to boot, but both the factory launcher and Go Launcher EX were mostly unusable and a bunch of my apps were failing to display, wouldn't load, etc. After about another 5 or 10 minutes on the charger and a power cycle everything was back to functioning like normal.

The weird thing is, if the low battery was the problem I would think that plugging it in would immediately fix it rather than having to charge it for awhile first. Also, I would expect any device like this to carry lithium batteries which should deliver the same amount of juice regardless of charge (until failure of course). Either way the couple of times since I've seen this behavior, recharging always fixes it.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT