JXD S7100 / Chinese Android Gaming Tablets

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had problems with applications not showing and my launcher messing up on a low battery, but I didn't know if I did something wrong or not. it has it's issues, but the biggest one for me is that stand-by doesn't really work, mine still drains fast if I put it on stand-by which doesn't seem right..

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now I finally understand the cause of all those weird happenings! Thanks @[member='KidIce']. I didn't notice that those things always happened when the battery was dry, but now that you make me think of it, it's certainly related. On a side note, I remember you being an Amiga fan, so try AnUAE4All, it's awesome!

@[member='elgarta']
It's something related to the WiFi sleep policy, or so I have read...

We seriously need a new kernel for the S7100B, the current one is based on the M3 reference board kernel, and it's obscenely unoptimized. Oh, and obviously we also need 4.0 support ;)

Reactions: 1 person

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The openGL support is terrible, I can't stand it.

Have you tried Chainfire 3D? Played a fair amount of Shadowgun today w/ CF3D installed on my S7100. Might fix your GL complaints.
Plants vs Zombies shows white boxes without Chainfire, and with Chainfire shows stuff, but it's all messed up.

Same happened with FPSE. Now it just crashes whenever I try to use openGL.

Awesome.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PVZ the one that came w/ it? Or did you download it from the market? I never bothered downloading it from the market, just used the one that was already there, but I have ZERO issues w/ PVZ. w/ or w/o Chainfire.

PSX emulation hasn't been something I've spent much time on, so I've only tried the included emulator, but that also runs fine. I've only bothered playing Soul Reaver on it so far which is quite playable and displays just fine (audio stutters a bit though). Again w/ or w/o Chainfire. I only recently installed Chainfire to see if this thing could run Shadowgun and other than making Shadowgun usable it's made no difference on anything that I have already been using.

Sounds like your unit is either defective or possibly one of the ROM's you've flashed is causing your problems. You may want to try installing the official firmware (there's an English version on the English side of the JXD site now, BTW) and rooting, etc by hand just to see.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Downloaded from the market. I like having the latest versions :P

I've removed the horrible standard launcher, so I'm using all the latest versions of the various emus. N64 emulation is almost perfect with N64oid (just a few slowdowns).

Well, it's Chainfire that causes most of the problems :P FPSe in Software mode (which the original launcher uses) works fine, just a bit slow. Should try another game to be certain of that.

Most of my problems have disappeared now that I keep it always above a certain level charge, so my unstability complaints are gone, for now.

Would you mind trying the openGL plugin for FPSE? That's pretty much the only remaining point which is unclear to me atm.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used FPse 0.11.23 (not buying a PSX emulator for this thing when I have a PSP). Downloaded and enabled the OpenGL plugin. Had Chainfire installed. Fucking slide show, letter boxing strips are white (ANnOYinG!!!11!1one). Reduce texture size and such w/ Chainfire, 4x4 pixels and hardly any boost in performance. Various settings in Chainfire (didn't try plugins) really never made it any better than just running the game on the pre-installed PSX emulator. Un-installed Chainfire... Minor performance boost. "Screw this, I'm going back to the pre-installed emulator".

OTOH, during this test I had no crashes, no artifacts/white boxes/etc (barring the white letter boxing strips). Nothing went wrong beyond worse performance w/ this version. NOT installing the OpenGL driver actually makes it run better, BTW.

I get it, Chainfire sucks for doing anything that isn't getting Shadowgun to work on non-Tegra devices. Still, from the way you describe it, I'm not having half the problems you are. Though, the lack of a performance boost from using the OpenGL plugin is kind of disheartening.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, my device is kinda fuzzy. Nowadays it doesn't even launch FPse anymore with openGL :P

Still no Android 4.0... Something is telling me that we won't ever see it, at least from JXD itself.

EDIT: @[member='KidIce'] I found the culprit for the corrupted fuzzy graphics... It was the EGL driver! :P (which sadly gives me a good boost in AnTuTu, which probably also reflects on the other games) - PvZ still does the same thing, white boxes everywhere.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man this really bugs me. I'm rather fond of my S7100 and as long as I remember not to dump the battery it's pretty much steady as a rock. I wish I was of more help, but I can't really tell you how to fix a problem I've never experienced. :-(

Yeah, Some ICS would be nice as long as it's stable and such. From some of the things I've read, on the PSP style tablets (Yinlips & JXD) that have it, one of the first things they recommend is to downgrade to 2.X 'cause that version of Android is buggy as hell on them. I'm still enjoying it as it is, but ICS does appear to be a much nicer system. Wish I could get my hands on one of those BItt tablets... And we could get some analog sticks that are... Analog I mean.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Man this really bugs me. I'm rather fond of my S7100 and as long as I remember not to dump the battery it's pretty much steady as a rock. I wish I was of more help, but I can't really tell you how to fix a problem I've never experienced. :-(

Yeah, Some ICS would be nice as long as it's stable and such. From some of the things I've read, on the PSP style tablets (Yinlips & JXD) that have it, one of the first things they recommend is to downgrade to 2.X 'cause that version of Android is buggy as hell on them. I'm still enjoying it as it is, but ICS does appear to be a much nicer system. Wish I could get my hands on one of those BItt tablets... And we could get some analog sticks that are... Analog I mean.
If you do ever find someone stocking Bitt tablets, gimme a shout, I WANT one! :P

EDIT: Anyway, this is worth a shout! Looks like skelton, Android developer, has finally been able to fix the DTS/AC3 issue completely: http://www.apad.tv/apadforum/showthread.php?2815-FIX-Codecs-AC3-DTS-JXDs7100B

Thanks for all your testing before I bought my S7100B, [member='KidIce']. Looks like I've finally got what I wanted! :P

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep watching the usual on-line shops and eBay for a BiTT and been trying to find out who's making them. Unless they've signed some exclusive deal I've got to think that we'll see it hit somewhere besides one lone Dutch toy store chain. I mean, if I were making them I'd rather be selling them world wide, you know?

The AC3 news is awesome, BTW. Works a treat. That BBC Planet Earth video now plays flawlessly. Looks spectacular when played on my 27" monitor over the HDMI cable too. I may start using this thing as a media player after all, no lugging a pile of DVD's over to the friend's house for a movie night, just take the JXD. :-D

Thanks for the news, I haven't been over to apad.tv in some time and probably would have missed it.

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i have one of those Bitt tablets, and its ok for its price range.

but gets very hot, which leads to reboots, but it runs most if not all emu's great :)

i was able to buy it for 50 euro's. secondhand, but it was 14 days old, so i wend and traded it in for a new one, said it broke, but i just made it break xd

Dami

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate you so much. :-)

Seriously though, beyond the heat, any other particulars? If we've already got our S7100's any reason to pick up one of those should we ever get the opportunity?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

but gets very hot, which leads to reboots, but it runs most if not all emu's great :)

i was able to buy it for 50 euro's. secondhand, but it was 14 days old, so i wend and traded it in for a new one, said it broke, but i just made it break xd

Dami
Lucky you! How good are the Analogs? How do the shoulder buttons feel?

I hate you so much. :-)

Seriously though, beyond the heat, any other particulars? If we've already got our S7100's any reason to pick up one of those should we ever get the opportunity?
Well, you should start saving for a S7100C instead, it's coming out next month - guess what - sporting Android 4.0!

Just a while after saying that the current SoC of the S7100B can't support Android 4.0.
Too bad there's a boatload of tablets and stuff having the same SoC and running Android 4.0 great on it.

Well, it looks they just love to spill their customers money with new models, instead of supporting old ones.

(I hate JXD)

I'll probably ditch my S7100B altogheter as soon as the Google Nexus 7" gets released here (awesome specs!) and just attach a bluetooth pad to it :/

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you should start saving for a S7100C instead, it's coming out next month - guess what - sporting Android 4.0!

Just a while after saying that the current SoC of the S7100B can't support Android 4.0.
Too bad there's a boatload of tablets and stuff having the same SoC and running Android 4.0 great on it.

Well, it looks they just love to spill their customers money with new models, instead of supporting old ones.

(I hate JXD)

I'll probably ditch my S7100B altogheter as soon as the Google Nexus 7" gets released here (awesome specs!) and just attach a bluetooth pad to it :/

Bastards!!! Yeah, JXD can pretty much bite me in that respect.

I've considered a higher end tablet, but 90% of what I'm doing w/ my S7100 is gaming - mostly via emulators, but I've got a decent amount of Android games on there too. I'm somewhat loath to lug around a Bluetooth pad for it, and really the S7100 does just fine at everything I've bothered to throw at it (some forced frame skip enabling aside). I'm just finding it really hard to justify right now. Especially since I just picked up Heroes of Ruin for the 3DS and that's my current on-the-go obsession (not sure how long that will last though). The other thing is price point, one can pick up the JXD's and the ilk for sub $150... That sure beats the $250 for the 8GB model I saw at Best Buy by leaps and bounds IMO.

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Dami

analogs are weird, right one is mapped to the buttons O.o, but they did say it should be adressed by a new firmware later on.
shoulder butons are good though, but tend to break fast >.<

but hee, what ya expect for that prize range...

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

(I hate JXD)

Bastards!!! Yeah, JXD can pretty much bite me in that respect.

I've considered a higher end tablet, but 90% of what I'm doing w/ my S7100 is gaming - mostly via emulators, but I've got a decent amount of Android games on there too. I'm somewhat loath to lug around a Bluetooth pad for it, and really the S7100 does just fine at everything I've bothered to throw at it (some forced frame skip enabling aside). I'm just finding it really hard to justify right now. Especially since I just picked up Heroes of Ruin for the 3DS and that's my current on-the-go obsession (not sure how long that will last though). The other thing is price point, one can pick up the JXD's and the ilk for sub $150... That sure beats the $250 for the 8GB model I saw at Best Buy by leaps and bounds IMO.
Well, it's just that I'd love to have a good working Android tablet. The S7100B is way too instable for my likings (I mean, I hate when battery is 100%, discharges in 10 minutes to 0% corrupting crap in Android :/)... I mostly do my tablet-gaming at home, so having a bluetooth gamepad along with it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. I'll look into it when the Nexus 7" is released.

I might just get a quad-core gaming tablet as soon as they get released (they're coming soon) and that's it. I dunno.

Dami

analogs are weird, right one is mapped to the buttons O.o, but they did say it should be adressed by a new firmware later on.
shoulder butons are good though, but tend to break fast >.<

but hee, what ya expect for that prize range...
Have you tried running FPSe on it with the openGL plugin? Lemme know how well it works (try with Tekken 3 in training mode to see how many FPS it gets) :D

I hope they do get sold outside Netherlands. I want one :O

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have read somewhere that bestbuy is gonna carry these too :)

That's both good and bad news, it would give me the opportunity to buy one (good) but Best Buy's prices suck (bad). I buy a few games from Best Buy (prices are pretty much the same everywhere. Thank you price fixing.) and some "emergency" type stuff I have to have now... But I mostly avoid buying things there if I can help it. I'd rather Fry's be the retailer carrying them, really. Of course if Best Buy DOES start carrying them I can go dork around w/ a demo model before I decide on whether I should get one or not.

Could you try running Key Test on your BiTT and see if the buttons and analogs are mapped to the same values as the buttons/D-Pad? If they are, it's my understanding a firmware upgrade to "fix" them is not possible.

@RP: You've developed the super short battery problem? That blows. :-/

I haven't run my battery close enough to dry on my S7100 since I discovered the problems it causes, I'd almost forgotten about how bad it is when you do. That is definitely one of the S7100's biggest failings and to have the battery problem on top of that, I can understand why your pissed w/ JXD. To be honest this S7100C BS has me more than a little irritated. I find the claim the current models can't run ICS a very hard thing to believe. If/when I buy another tablet it probably won't be one of theirs w/ that sort of crap being their MO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT +1