With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apex said:
dry.gif

I don't think it'll take long before things shift directions though; not like we can't install a CFW that DOES allow unsigned code over this one, and it's not like this things aren't going to get signed anyways; it's really just a countdown.
Yep. It'll be quicker to resign the old content though, we just have to wait for Team failoverfl0w.

Btw, it's gonna be a lot tougher for a backup loader though, since this CFW doesn't include the necessary syscalls to make it work. The kernel needs to be hacked, for that.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DigitalDeviant said:
FireGrey said:
So would this allow to load games from DVD-R

this cfw will not allow it. KaKaRoTo has specifically stated that his cfw will not run pirated content. And besides i highly doubt one would be able to fit a ps3 game on a dvd-r, maybe dvd9 disc.

It's a matter of time before someone makes his own cfw that allow backups or someone takes KaKaRoTo's cfw and just mod it to allow backups.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
DigitalDeviant said:
FireGrey said:

this cfw will not allow it. KaKaRoTo has specifically stated that his cfw will not run pirated content. And besides i highly doubt one would be able to fit a ps3 game on a dvd-r, maybe dvd9 disc.

It's a matter of time before someone makes his own cfw that allow backups or someone takes KaKaRoTo's cfw and just mod it to allow backups.

I know that is inevitable, was just making it clear to the user above me.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DigitalDeviant said:
Giga_Gaia said:
DigitalDeviant said:
FireGrey said:

I know that is inevitable, was just making it clear to the user above me.

Of course, it will probably happen sooner then anyone thinks. It hasn't been that long since it was revealed the ps3 was fully open and someone already did this much work. Give it a week or two before a homebrew backup loader comes around.

However, it would be better if there was just a way to install the game on the ps3 like a PSN game in service mode so Sony wouldn't see the difference as this and a real disc(there is some retail games on PSN like burnout and inFamous).

A CFW is too easy for Sony to detect. I'd rather boot in service mode each time to install a game if it means not getting banned.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Livin in a box said:
Apex said:
I tried to download a PKG off mediafire and it wont install after installing 3.55 Kakaroto, I guess this only installs signed PKG and the one I got wasn't signed or something, lame.
Yeah, to stop (or, at least prevent) piracy I would imagine.
Nope, its just easier to make it only install signed PKGs and seeing as the keys are available it should be a matter of days before PKGs can be signed anyway, so why waste the extra effort making a CFW that can install unsigned ones?

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i think he just made a cfw as en experiment to show the use of these keys... more like an encouragement for further development
this will probably push other ppl to investigate further and develop interesting softwares... maybe even a program tht signs ANY program with the keys

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tongue.gif

Sony is going to announce the ps4
Just a modified ps3 with security and a new main key...
So new games would have another key and cant be pirated on the old ps3 ...
The PS4 would sell very well with some very big hits thats going to be announced

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>.> if you have the pkg files why not sign em yourself. if the source of the homebrew is out it should be easy for anyone with a linux environment. i'm not entirely sure if cygwin is good for tryin this. if anyone it up for tryin it have at it. i'm kinda sittin 6000-8000 miles from home, ps3 and main pc. lol.

quick thought came to mind. everyone is ballin about not being able to play backups. why? i bet ya right now someone thought the same thing i did and putting together an app similar to that of neogamma to the wii. a backup loader. a tool to run backups from a usb drive or internal drive and letting em display on the xmb through a iso mounting emulation within the xmb. it's not impossible just difficult.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trigger_ftu said:
>.> if you have the pkg files why not sign em yourself. if the source of the homebrew is out it should be easy for anyone with a linux environment. i'm not entirely sure if cygwin is good for tryin this. if anyone it up for tryin it have at it. i'm kinda sittin 6000-8000 miles from home, ps3 and main pc. lol.
There are no tools available currently for creating properly signed .PKGs. I think there are tools for creating .SELFs, but not .PKGs. And .SELFs aren't very useful, because AFAIK, there is no way to run them without a jailbreak dongle.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
trigger_ftu said:

quick thought came to mind. everyone is ballin about not being able to play backups. why? i bet ya right now someone thought the same thing i did and putting together an app similar to that of neogamma to the wii. a backup loader. a tool to run backups from a usb drive or internal drive and letting em display on the xmb through a iso mounting emulation within the xmb. it's not impossible just difficult.

Backup loaders could be detected by Sony even if it's signed. Too risky, you'd get banned.

They should just make it so you can install an iso in service mode directly to the xmb and have it signed, so Sony wouldn't see the difference between the retail and that. I mean there is already games running from the xmb if you download them from PSN, like inFamous, burnout paradise and others. I dont think they run any different then the disc version

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really dont care about an ISO or any type of PS3 back-up...I just want to be able to play regular emulators and whatnot....from the XMB. Instead of throwing in my Swap Magic 3.6, and loading it that way.

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
trigger_ftu said:

Backup loaders could be detected by Sony even if it's signed. Too risky, you'd get banned.

They should just make it so you can install an iso in service mode directly to the xmb and have it signed, so Sony wouldn't see the difference between the retail and that. I mean there is already games running from the xmb if you download them from PSN, like inFamous, burnout paradise and others. I dont think they run any different then the disc version

They usually have different ID numbers (I don't remember the specific term). I remember this because there is a save game for the PS3 game Warhawk that won't work on a PSN copy, since it has a different number than the disc copy. If this is the case, Sony would just need to keep an eye out for numbers that aren't supposed to run via XMB (i.e. something not sold on PSN). This could work for the specific PSN versions of full games though.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've come to realise, this is going to lead to scam websites like those that sell the homebrew channel and USB loading homebrew.

And that's terrible.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
Giga_Gaia said:
trigger_ftu said:

They usually have different ID numbers (I don't remember the specific term). I remember this because there is a save game for the PS3 game Warhawk that won't work on a PSN copy, since it has a different number than the disc copy. If this is the case, Sony would just need to keep an eye out for numbers that aren't supposed to run via XMB (i.e. something not sold on PSN). This could work for the specific PSN versions of full games though.

Yeah but when you play a PSN Playstation Classic title, it just looks like your Online but idle. They wont exactly be able to check it if whatever homebrew is running like that.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so here's my list of questions:

If I'm already on 3.55, how do I install this? And can I switch back with relative ease if need be?
I read the first post a bit more closely (I just woke up to a screaming baby so I'm not all here yet), so this question got answered.

What's currently available as a PKG file in the ways of homebrew? (Mostly looking for emulators for SNES, GBA, heck even PSP)

Can I still access the Playstation Store, and will there be any issue if I only use homebrew and not pirated stuff? I'm still playing through Nier, Splatterhouse, and Batman: Arkham Asylum, and I still want to be able to download updates, expansions and such.

And my final question, not looking for a link but just curious, has anybody compiled this and put it anywhere yet? I'm on Windows7 and really don't know anything about compiling things, or Linux in general for that matter. (I hope to see a tutorial on this soon. If anybody is going to type one up, I would cover how to do it on Linux, Windows7, and OS X if possible.)

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Giga_Gaia said:
trigger_ftu said:

The problem with that is we don't know all of what sony can detect. If they can detect where a game is ran FROm, you might be screwed regardless.

QUOTE(MarcusRaven @ Jan 6 2011, 02:42 PM)
Okay, so here's my list of questions:

If I'm already on 3.55, how do I install this? And can I switch back with relative ease if need be?
I read the first post a bit more closely (I just woke up to a screaming baby so I'm not all here yet), so this question got answered.

1. What's currently available as a PKG file in the ways of homebrew? (Mostly looking for emulators for SNES, GBA, heck even PSP)

2. Can I still access the Playstation Store, and will there be any issue if I only use homebrew and not pirated stuff? I'm still playing through Nier, Splatterhouse, and Batman: Arkham Asylum, and I still want to be able to download updates, expansions and such.

3. And my final question, not looking for a link but just curious, has anybody compiled this and put it anywhere yet? I'm on Windows7 and really don't know anything about compiling things, or Linux in general for that matter. (I hope to see a tutorial on this soon. If anybody is going to type one up, I would cover how to do it on Linux, Windows7, and OS X if possible.)

I can feel ya on the screaming baby. I have one of my own. I numbered your questions just for ease of answering them.

1. Right now, there is a Hello World app from Geohot, so essentially not a damn thing yet.

2. For now, yes.

3. Yes, the CFW has been compiled and it's listed on numerous torrent sites.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OKay, and just to clarify on the switching, if I'm on OFW 3.55 and run the CFW 3.55, it'll work. That much I gathered. Will going back to the OFW be as easy as having the OFW PUP loaded up and running it the same way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo