KaKaRoTo created first PS3 Custom Firmware

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I've come to realise, this is going to lead to scam websites like those that sell the homebrew channel and USB loading homebrew.

And that's terrible.

Unfortunately thats part of human nature. not all of humanity mind you, but enough that seeing something like that is almost a sure thing.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess all that's left now is to wait for stuff to be released. I'm really hoping for a PSP emulator, one that can have controls mapped to anything on the Dualshock3. (Kingdom Hearts: BBS Camera controls, I'm looking at you. I'd love to have Macro support, so I could have R be whatever the Lockon Combo is, and the right control stick is just camera controls. Wishful thinking? I hope not.)

When emulators do come out, I'm seriously considering getting one of those card-reader usb hubs for PS3. (My local K-Mart still has them.) That way I could keep roms and such on an SD Card or Memory Stick, and have enough ports for my external hard drive that I use for non-WODE related things. (It needs two USB ports for power >.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Devil May Cry said:
Giga_Gaia said:
trigger_ftu said:
>.> if you have the pkg files why not sign em yourself. if the source of the homebrew is out it should be easy for anyone with a linux environment. i'm not entirely sure if cygwin is good for tryin this. if anyone it up for tryin it have at it. i'm kinda sittin 6000-8000 miles from home, ps3 and main pc. lol.

quick thought came to mind. everyone is ballin about not being able to play backups. why? i bet ya right now someone thought the same thing i did and putting together an app similar to that of neogamma to the wii. a backup loader. a tool to run backups from a usb drive or internal drive and letting em display on the xmb through a iso mounting emulation within the xmb. it's not impossible just difficult.

Backup loaders could be detected by Sony even if it's signed. Too risky, you'd get banned.

They should just make it so you can install an iso in service mode directly to the xmb and have it signed, so Sony wouldn't see the difference between the retail and that. I mean there is already games running from the xmb if you download them from PSN, like inFamous, burnout paradise and others. I dont think they run any different then the disc version

They usually have different ID numbers (I don't remember the specific term). I remember this because there is a save game for the PS3 game Warhawk that won't work on a PSN copy, since it has a different number than the disc copy. If this is the case, Sony would just need to keep an eye out for numbers that aren't supposed to run via XMB (i.e. something not sold on PSN). This could work for the specific PSN versions of full games though.

I bet they can easily change the id of the game to make it so it looks like the ID for the disc version.

Also:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sony-responds-to-ps3-hacks

Of course, this is bullcrap since there is obviously nothing they can do, but they have to keep apparences.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Giga_Gaia said:
I bet they can easily change the id of the game to make it so it looks like the ID for the disc version.

Also:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sony-responds-to-ps3-hacks

Of course, this is bullcrap since there is obviously nothing they can do, but they have to keep apparences.

Lol @ Sony's respond "we are looking into it and will issue a network update", I wonder what good that will do...if any lol....Sony you are.... -_-

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
Lol @ Sony's respond "we are looking into it and will issue a network update", I wonder what good that will do...if any lol....Sony you are.... -_-

i think sony need to realise that they can't fix this with a firmware update anymore.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This is an almost impossible thing to patch. They'd have to get a new key together and a whitelist for all PS3 titles before the new key brought up. Of course it would still be simple to get back in just by using the old keys and the whitelisted data (though it is copyright infringing). Even then however they got into the console to find these keys before would probably be simple to repeat on the new firmware.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
This is an almost impossible thing to patch. They'd have to get a new key together and a whitelist for all PS3 titles before the new key brought up. Of course it would still be simple to get back in just by using the old keys and the whitelisted data (though it is copyright infringing). Even then however they got into the console to find these keys before would probably be simple to repeat on the new firmware.
Even if they did this, the new keys would have to be in a firmware update, which would have to be signed with the old keys so it would work with current PS3s. Therefore, the update containing the new keys could be decrypted easily using the current keys, and the new keys could be found relatively easily. So it would be completely pointless.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Jamstruth said:
Even if they did this, the new keys would have to be in a firmware update, which would have to be signed with the old keys so it would work with current PS3s. Therefore, the update containing the new keys could be decrypted easily using the current keys, and the new keys could be found relatively easily. So it would be completely pointless.
On top of that, the keys are hardcoded into the machine itself, they cannot be changed.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't changing the key invalidate everything released so far? I mean Sony would make any old games stop working.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really cool. Looking forward to seeing what developers will do with the 3.2 GHz processors on these things rather than the tiny ones on other consoles. Will we be able to run linux on it again?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
Wouldn't changing the key invalidate everything released so far? I mean Sony would make any old games stop working.

As has been said dozens of times in this and other threads: Yes.

QUOTE(chao1212 @ Jan 6 2011, 10:47 PM) Really cool. Looking forward to seeing what developers will do with the 3.2 GHz processors on these things rather than the tiny ones on other consoles. Will we be able to run linux on it again?

Yeah, thats the main project fail0verflow are working on. AsbestOS.pup - a custom update file that will install Linux, without Sony's limitations. I am assuming they or someone else will have a way to do it without replacing the Game OS, otherwise it kinda defeats the point of having a PS3 over a computer, but I reckon there'll be a way to use Linux while keeping Game OS before long anyway.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I've come to realise, this is going to lead to scam websites like those that sell the homebrew channel and USB loading homebrew.

And that's terrible.
tumblr_lalfe0ZlEs1qbyceuo1_500.jpg

I wonder if the PS3 linux will be delayed until somebody writes or ports a non-framebuffer video driver for it. Releasing a linux distro that can do more than the official on would be an even bigger blow.

bladepwnedyou

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who can't seem to get it installed? I put it on an SD card and USB and with the names its tells me to use and I just get a No Applicable Update was found. I'm on version 3.55 and i followed the instructions as given.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having taken a look at this, I have a few questions again. All I did was install the CFW, nothing more.

1) I tried to see what the /app_home/PS3_GAME/ folder was for, and it didn't do anything. It said it couldn't be launched. Any reason why? What's that folder for anyway.

2) When we do have homebrew pkg files, where do we put them so that the Install Packages option will see them?

3) Why do we lose the ability to look at trophies and save data with this installed? This leads me to believe that it will be okay to use the CFW to install pkg homebrew, then go back to OFW and it will still be there. Am I right?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
MarcusRaven said:
Having taken a look at this, I have a few questions again. All I did was install the CFW, nothing more.

1) I tried to see what the /app_home/PS3_GAME/ folder was for, and it didn't do anything. It said it couldn't be launched. Any reason why? What's that folder for anyway.

2) When we do have homebrew pkg files, where do we put them so that the Install Packages option will see them?

3) Why do we lose the ability to look at trophies and save data with this installed? This leads me to believe that it will be okay to use the CFW to install pkg homebrew, then go back to OFW and it will still be there. Am I right?
Redownload this fixed version http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/04/ps3-cu...kgs-to-the-xmb/

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did your research, then you can with Jailbreaking (up to a certain firmware), but not with this Custom Firmware. Easy information all over the forums. This baby was just born, give it some time to learn how to walk.

DasXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarcusRaven said:
If you did your research, then you can with Jailbreaking (up to a certain firmware), but not with this Custom Firmware. Easy information all over the forums. This baby was just born, give it some time to learn how to walk.
Best analogy, irony, thingy-ma-wats-it ever!

I love how this is unfolding! PS3 in less than 7 months went from "Most secure video game system ever" to "Exploit in firmware" and to finally (my favorite) "Most "unsecure" video game system (of its gen)"

I REALLY can't wait to be able to use homebrew, emulators, just everything that makes a homebrewed wii awesome. I guess the backups are a + too, I only use them for faster speeds.

By the way, I read somewhere that we didn't have the blu-ray keys, but later read we did? What are all the keys within the system Ex: Blu-ray, private, public or is that it?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put together a demonstration on how easy this firmware is to install, and revert back if desired. Also answered a few questions about things that people keep asking without researching. (I'm assuming that these folks would rather listen instead of read.) Waiting for it to upload right now. Will edit when its done.

EDIT: Okay, so I spend all that time waiting for it to upload, and its rejected for being too long. >.< I'll try again in the morning. Might have to record it again...>.< Frickin' YouTube and your 15 minute limit. *anger*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo