'Kingdom Hearts IV' announced

KINGDOM_HEARTS_IV_logo_EN_rgb_wt.png

As part of the 20th anniversary celebration of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, Square Enix and Disney have announced that the next installment, Kingdom Hearts IV, is in early development. An announcement trailer was aired for the occasion:

In the announcement trailer, Sora makes a triumphant return with an updated look at the beginning of an epic new storyline titled the “Lost Master Arc.” Beginning with Sora facing off in a boss battle against a giant enemy, players are introduced to the Quadratum, a large, expansive city set in a gorgeous, realistic world unlike anything ever seen before in the KINGDOM HEARTS series. Fans will be excited to see the return of Sora’s well-known companions Donald and Goofy, in addition to the first appearance of Strelitzia, a mysterious new character who appears before Sora in this strange new setting.

Also announced today is the brand-new mobile game, Kingdom Hearts Missing Link, which is set to launch on Android and iOS devices as a closed beta sometime this year in specific locations.

Given that Kingdom Hearts IV is in early development, not much else is known about the launch window or the platforms it will launch on at this time.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the rate SE keeps dragging this series out, I think they are trying to complete with Nintendo for "Company with the largest number of neglected IPs"

Nintendo needs to watch out with all the Metroid games, they're going to lose their crown...
its a money generator so not gonna see them stop until the money stops. Personally I think kh3 would have been a good ending to the series, even though it was far from the best game. but regardless I'm glad they continued, cause I'm interested in the lost masters and the 7 darkness's, and we still haven't fuckin gotten a Moana world; after Moana idc where they end the series, lmfao.

Reactions: Sworly

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its a money generator so not gonna see them stop until the money stops. Personally I think kh3 would have been a good ending to the series, even though it was far from the best game. but regardless I'm glad they continued, cause I'm interested in the lost masters and the 7 darkness's, and we still haven't fuckin gotten a Moana world; after Moana idc where they end the series, lmfao.
A Turning Red world would be my dream come true, with how vibrant and cartoony everything is; plus, imagine Sora getting a Red Panda form to fit in in the world

Reactions: SexiestManAlive

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was bad enough KH III had Frozen and Tangled worlds. If they start adding whatever random new 3D Disney movie worlds I'm dropping the series.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh boy can't wait for the new kingdom sharts with an even more convoluted and retarded plot than the last
who thought mixing anime and disney was a good idea to begin with? actually though, so many other concepts that would work well and pay off better and you chose god damn disney. that shit was why i never got into this series to begin with. you could have chose looney tunes and it would be better for it

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like people on this site don't even like video games. Get a new hobby or something. Touch grass.
actually, you're right
we don't like modern video games. we don't like disappointing stuff, corporate generic capitalistic stuff with the sole purpose of squeezing every drop of cash out of you, (like kingdom hearts) and we don't like NFTs. we aren't going to blindly cheer for each new release pretending that the company making said games didn't try to fuck us over in the past with a mediocre sequel, Microtransactions or whatever else companies like to do nowadays to finesse the everliving fuck out of their customers

Reactions: Aristeia

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was bad enough KH III had Frozen and Tangled worlds. If they start adding whatever random new 3D Disney movie worlds I'm dropping the series.
as long as they don't make them empty as shit like those 2 bullshit worlds, it'll be fine, Moana and turning red are better then frozen and tangled EASILY (In my opinion).

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as long as they don't make them empty as shit like those 2 bullshit worlds, it'll be fine, Moana and turning red are better then frozen and tangled EASILY (In my opinion).
I could do without any of them (more of an old Disney fan) but that's my personal preference. They'll most likely include almost any new stuff otherwise there'd be no content for the game in terms of different worlds lol

Aristeia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

While I eventually got tired of the convoluted storyline (And this is coming from a Kojima fan), the respect towards the Disney source material was incredible in my opinion. At least in 1 and 2, which was all I played.

Seeing Hades used well in context and his dialogue being very true to the original spirit of the character was a big highlight, and the fact Alice's voice actor was still capable of reprising her role... Huge props to that.

So to hear that the later games start to suffer in that regard really sucks, I think the games were at least worth playing through for that aspect but it doesn't sound like they keep it up very well.

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I eventually got tired of the convoluted storyline (And this is coming from a Kojima fan), the respect towards the Disney source material was incredible in my opinion. At least in 1 and 2, which was all I played.

Seeing Hades used well in context and his dialogue being very true to the original spirit of the character was a big highlight, and the fact Alice's voice actor was still capable of reprising her role... Huge props to that.

So to hear that the later games start to suffer in that regard really sucks, I think the games were at least worth playing through for that aspect but it doesn't sound like they keep it up very well.
That's the thing, though, newer/modern worlds thrived perfectly well in later games, the biggest issue was Disney tampering/meddling; Frozen world could've had far more world building done to it, but it was clear that it was intended to just be a Disney advertisement for the movie and a means of hawking Let It Go in for good measure.

If you look at things like the Big Hero 6 world (KH3), Tron (KHDDD), Toy Story (KH3), Hunchback of Notre Dame (KHDDD), etc., they're all solidly built areas with fun level designs; Frozen is just frozen tundra hallways with an extremely obnoxious dungeon in it, and struggles to match the quality of other worlds even in the same game. It would not surprise me to discover that worlds in KH3 that had the worst design/felt the emptiest were the causation of Disney over-meddling to ensure that it matches their expectations.

Reactions: Aristeia

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing, though, newer/modern worlds thrived perfectly well in later games, the biggest issue was Disney tampering/meddling; Frozen world could've had far more world building done to it, but it was clear that it was intended to just be a Disney advertisement for the movie and a means of hawking Let It Go in for good measure.

If you look at things like the Big Hero 6 world (KH3), Tron (KHDDD), Toy Story (KH3), Hunchback of Notre Dame (KHDDD), etc., they're all solidly built areas with fun level designs; Frozen is just frozen tundra hallways with an extremely obnoxious dungeon in it, and struggles to match the quality of other worlds even in the same game. It would not surprise me to discover that worlds in KH3 that had the worst design/felt the emptiest were the causation of Disney over-meddling to ensure that it matches their expectations.
I'm more worried about the woke push Disney is doing is going to affect KH. I mean, the story is convoluted enough without adding wokeness to it. Disney has been doing woke stuff for a few years now, and it's continually increasing. It doesn't seem to be affecting the KH series as of yet, so I pray it stays that way and just sticks to adding worlds and characters and such, if that makes sense.

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more worried about the woke push Disney is doing is going to affect KH. I mean, the story is convoluted enough without adding wokeness to it. Disney has been doing woke stuff for a few years now, and it's continually increasing. It doesn't seem to be affecting the KH series as of yet, so I pray it stays that way and just sticks to adding worlds and characters and such, if that makes sense.
Japan seems to be steering fairly clear of that crap, for the most part. I think Sony is one of the bigger smoking guns for that sort of thing, and considering they don't have sole custody of the series anymore, I doubt they'd be able to make those decisions on anything but their own platform.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I hope they actually do put some "wokeness" in this game. Snowflakes getting upset with seeing "wokeness" is pretty amusing.

• Love

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they actually do put some "wokeness" in this game. Snowflakes getting upset with seeing "wokeness" is pretty amusing.
The term "snowflakes" refers to the wokeness crowd, so don't know what you're talking about. They ain't gonna put any wokeness anyway unless they intend for game sales to dive.

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The term "snowflakes" refers to the wokeness crowd, so don't know what you're talking about. They ain't gonna put any wokeness anyway unless they intend for game sales to dive.
Considering the vague definition of “woke” continues to move based on what people plan on hating this week, anything added could be considered “woke.” Disney does own Marvel and Marvel has a lot of “woke” in their comics. People who get the big mad because a character is gay is what I would consider a “snowflake.” The world isn’t the little bubble the anti-“woke” crowd wants to believe it is.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the vague definition of “woke” continues to move based on what people plan on hating this week, anything added could be considered “woke.” Disney does own Marvel and Marvel has a lot of “woke” in their comics. People who get the big mad because a character is gay is what I would consider a “snowflake.” The world isn’t the little bubble the anti-“woke” crowd wants to believe it is.
And Marvel's comic sales are tanking as we speak because of that, which just proves my point. What is woke nowadays isn't that vague at all really.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And Marvel's comic sales are tanking as we speak because of that, which just proves my point. What is woke nowadays isn't that vague at all really.
Are they? Sources? It is vague, what does it mean to be "woke?" Because apparently including people of color, women, LGBT+ people, minorities of any sort, handicapped people, and pretty much anything other than a muscular cishet white dude and a sexy brainless white girl seems to be considered "woke." But then it seems to drop and add different parts to what people are outraged over.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they? Sources? It is vague, what does it mean to be "woke?" Because apparently including people of color, women, LGBT+ people, minorities of any sort, handicapped people, and pretty much anything other than a muscular cishet white dude and a sexy brainless white girl seems to be considered "woke." But then it seems to drop and add different parts to what people are outraged over.
I don't know what's the bug up your ass about this all of a sudden and why you're going on and on but okay. And actually, it would be more accurate to say comics sales are down a bit and new "woke" comic series sell really low and don't last long. It's been an ongoing situation for years now, and even if some estimates aren't too accurate, a lot of people have a distaste for the new stuff and sales are going down one way or another.

https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/woke-broke-marvel-comics/
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-not-cancel-lowest-selling-comics/
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/07/marvel-social-justice-insanity/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+breitbart+(Breitbart+News)

Just a few examples. I'd have to scour and look further and research even more for more examples, but I'm not doing that for just one comment.

Nothing wrong with a diverse cast, but it should be natural, not shoved in your face and try to replace previously white heroes for "muh representation". Make new, original content, and when you do, don't put shitty biases in them to boot so they won't fail right away.

SexiestManAlive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what's the bug up your ass about this all of a sudden and why you're going on and on but okay. And actually, it would be more accurate to say comics sales are down a bit and new "woke" comic series sell really low and don't last long. It's been an ongoing situation for years now, and even if some estimates aren't too accurate, a lot of people have a distaste for the new stuff and sales are going down one way or another.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/07/marvel-social-justice-insanity/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+breitbart+(Breitbart+News)

Just a few examples. I'd have to scour and look further and research even more for more examples, but I'm not doing that for just one comment.

Nothing wrong with a diverse cast, but it should be natural, not shoved in your face and try to replace previously white heroes for "muh representation". Make new, original content, and when you do, don't put shitty biases in them to boot so they won't fail right away.
agreed, diversity shouldn't be done just to cater to people, something that pissses me off is people saying Miles Morales is "woke" despite being a whole different character from peter parker.

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not disagreeing with the shitty catering companies are doing with pseudo-representation, but I think comics are struggling more so these days not based on that, but rather on the basis that brick and mortar stores are few and far between, online shipping of comics is unreliable (and mail carriers know fuck-all about the fragility of packages and tend to damage things in transit), and the fact that everyone and their brother is pushing massive comic universes with lackluster stories, cookie-cutter characters, and a million spin-offs, so instead of having to spend hundreds to catch up with some crap arcs that are existent to just push comic sales, they opt instead to go see movies or shows that consolidate it to just one media. Nobody likes having to read Robin #12434 to understand some sub-plot in Batman #546753, and major comic providers haven't grasped that concept despite people basically spelling it out for them.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not disagreeing with the shitty catering companies are doing with pseudo-representation, but I think comics are struggling more so these days not based on that, but rather on the basis that brick and mortar stores are few and far between, online shipping of comics is unreliable (and mail carriers know fuck-all about the fragility of packages and tend to damage things in transit), and the fact that everyone and their brother is pushing massive comic universes with lackluster stories, cookie-cutter characters, and a million spin-offs, so instead of having to spend hundreds to catch up with some crap arcs that are existent to just push comic sales, they opt instead to go see movies or shows that consolidate it to just one media. Nobody likes having to read Robin #12434 to understand some sub-plot in Batman #546753, and major comic providers haven't grasped that concept despite people basically spelling it out for them.
The last thing has been an issue in comics for literal decades. If you want straight forward story that doesn't require you to read another series with the same character (or a sidekick), or wait months for the plot of what you just read to continue then read graphic novels or manga. It's not a new thing that one issue of a comic continues the story of a dozen or more issues before. Just because 30-somethings are finally noticing it doesn't mean it's something new.

• Haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.