Konami charges $10 for Metal Gear Survive save slot

mgss.png

Metal Gear Survive is the first Metal Gear game since the series creator's exit from the company. Of course, it was target of criticism from fans ever since it was announced, having basically only the FOX Engine in common with Metal Gear and slandered for misuse of the Metal Gear name as a quick cash grab. But is the game really that bad? Apparently, in its core, it's not that bad of a game.

One would imagine that Konami wants to garner goodwill for the game, but in actuality, Konami arguably threw even more fuel to the fire, as early players have found out. The vanilla game supports only one character save slot. For any additional save slot, you would have to fork over 1000 SV coins, which translate to roughly $10 in real world money. What this basically means is that you have to delete your whole progress to start a new game if you don't pay up.

For a number of players this may not be much of an issue as one character may be enough for them, but you could argue that this has the potential to set a dangerous precedent for future games.

What do you think of this? Happy with Metal Gear Survive?

:arrow: Source

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm kinda laughing at this, because it's bad, but the f2p game RotMG also charges 1000 gold (1200 gold costs 10$, 500 costs 5$) for each character slot, and people don't mind at all. Then again, they're totally different games.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disgusting.

We need to fight back against this new crap in the game world.
PS4 charging for online.
Nintendo now thinking they can charge for online. (Fight back everyone)
Loot boxes/crates whatever they're all called, it's a disgrace the way games have gone and it won't stop unless users stop buying their garbage.
Everyone needs to complain and fight against this ish.
You can all prevent nintendos upcoming fee if you start fighting and complaining hard right now.

Reactions: sleepymanakete

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I guess the question everyone asks is...

Can metal gear survive this controversy? :tpi:

seriously, gbatemp...5 freaking pages and I'm the first to make that obvious pun?

The game market is way bigger, meaning you sell much more of the same item and you only need to spend for producing the software once.
Also, the change in formats, from card to disc and from physical to digital, have lowered the costs of duplication.
Erm... While true, there are as much if not more arguments for why games should be more expensive (higher cost to make em and more competition, to name a few large ones).

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think they're living under a rock if they didn't see what happened with EA and being greedy. Even though this doesn't seem bad, it makes me wonder what would happen if other games had characters will different skills and such and would require a different save slot.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm so confused, they're charging $10 for an extra save slot? What other companies have done this?
Some free to play games.. But afaik this is a paid game?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Disgusting.

We need to fight back against this new crap in the game world.
PS4 charging for online.
Nintendo now thinking they can charge for online. (Fight back everyone)
Loot boxes/crates whatever they're all called, it's a disgrace the way games have gone and it won't stop unless users stop buying their garbage.
Everyone needs to complain and fight against this ish.
You can all prevent nintendos upcoming fee if you start fighting and complaining hard right now.
Paying to play online isn't even an issue. It's the other nickel and diming schemes that grind my gears.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure they've done this before with MGO2. Even tried to circumvent PSN fees by selling character slots through their own site. I kinda saw this coming when TPP got rid of save slots altogether when every previous title let you start a new game and make a new save.

It's simple enough to use a different profile on your console to make a new character. I believe PSPlus lets other accounts on your console play online as well. Also just like TPP you can get SV coins by logging in weekly or completing challenges like the bounties in Monster Hunter World.

Uhh, I mean, it's a shitty practice that shouldn't be tolerated.

MlgPro

Play me in SSB4 I’m a Fox main
Trophies
Website
m.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Konami: Were running low on funds what do we do?
Treyarch: Charge them for shit that was free in the past... We’ve done it before and it worked great Look at Black ops III

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvA_fNxRcw0