Gaming Konami releasing patch for MGS Snake Eater 3D

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 8,734
  • Replies 31
D

Deleted_171835

OP
To those who haven't played the game yet, don't let this thread turn you down. If you don't have a PS3/360 (HD Collection) or want a portable version, this is still a good game. Although, you probably should get a Circle Pad Pro.

You'll need a completely new engine to fix a broken one. It wouldn't come in a patch, but if an eShop version pops up, then that one is very likely to be optimized (assuming they think it's worth optimizing).

My general opinion on games with poor framerates is that the usual culprit is a poor engine. Even with low resources and low specs, some games on the Nintendo DS have managed to output a steady, stable 60FPS without compromising much (or anything at all). Sega All Stars Racing is one very good example, I still couldn't believe that game looks and plays so smooth for something that zips through levels. I think Metroid Prime Hunters is another example of a very good engine, which plays and looks very smooth as well, even with very frantic action going on. Dunno if it hits 60FPS though.

So yeah, poor engine, poor framerate.
They certainly could still optimize the engine in a patch although I doubt they care enough to do so.

Personally, I think the framerate is a result of not building the game from the ground up for the 3DS (like we thought they would with the Naked Sample) and giving it over to a B team to port.

It's really erratic, though. During the Virtuous Mission, it's pretty much a solid 20FPS but the framerate seems to increase (sometimes to 30FPS) and then decrease (The Fury) in some parts afterwards.

Does the update include a second analog nub? So we can play the game properly.
wfcTb.jpg

Options are nice. Even if it is a gigantic tumour.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To those who haven't played the game yet, don't let this thread turn you down. If you don't have a PS3/360 (HD Collection) and want a portable version, this is still a good game. Although, you probably should get a Circle Pad Pro.

I'm going to concur with this. MGS3 is a magnificent game and if the 3DS version is your only way of playing it than go for it. I actually did buy the 3DS version and to be honest, its still a good game but there are quite a few problems making it so inferior to the HD collection (WHICH IS EXCELLENT).

Reactions: 2 people

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To those who haven't played the game yet, don't let this thread turn you down. If you don't have a PS3/360 (HD Collection) and want a portable version, this is still a good game. Although, you probably should get a Circle Pad Pro.

I'm going to concur with this. MGS3 is a magnificent game and if the 3DS version is your only way of playing it than go for it. I actually did buy the 3DS version and to be honest, its still a good game but there are quite a few problems making it so inferior to the HD collection (WHICH IS EXCELLENT).

The only thing we can do is hope Konami fixes those problems and make it better then the HD Collection.(I agree with your statement it is excellent, although I play it on Vita)

D

Deleted_171835

OP
The only thing we can do is hope Konami fixes those problems and make it better then the HD Collection.(I agree with your statement it is excellent, although I play it on Vita)
Better? Impossible.

The PS3/360 HD Collection runs at 60 beautiful FPS. The 3DS or even Vita version can't compare to that.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only advantage MGS 3D has over the over version is the adoption of the MGS4 shooter controls (though hampered by the lack of a second nub). The original control scheme whilst you eventually got used to it was still uncumbesome.

There are several different reasons why the 3DS version will always be inferior. Other than the framerat, I can think of a few problems it had.

1) The environment you saw at the screen was at times disjointing and overwhelming as tit felt like there was too much detail. This is because MGS3 was designed for a home console and the transition to a smaller screen wasn't great and took time to get used to. Maybe a 3DSXL will be good for this issue.

2) Game at times looked pretty poor. Snake's face looks great, I know. But textures would look really bad. The game was a rollercoaster in this respect, it looked really good at times especially with the 3D on. Other times is was laughable.

3) The lack of content. The PS2/HD versions had content other than the game which was fun to fuck around with it. The 3DS version just had the game and that was it. Though I imagine it could be due to size constraints, MGS 3D is about 3GB compressed on a 4GB cart so I guess that could have been an issue.

I bought MGS 3D last Saturday, started it on Monday, beat it on Tuesday and than sold it on Thursday. I honestly don't regret getting rid of it.

servant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom never promised DLC for Revelations and they've even mentioned that it wouldn't be possible to do so anyway as they hadn't programmed it to be able to.

Really? What was that news about the RE expansion they were making then?
Isn't that Liberation?

Yeah, that's the expansion right? It comes with like a movie or something too.
nah liberation was suppsed to be it's own game, which is hard to say as it pretty much is a couple movies with a resident evil minigame

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
They certainly could still optimize the engine in a patch although I doubt they care enough to do so.

Personally, I think the framerate is a result of not building the game from the ground up for the 3DS (like we thought they would with the Naked Sample) and giving it over to a B team to port.

It's really erratic, though. During the Virtuous Mission, it's pretty much a solid 20FPS but the framerate seems to increase (sometimes to 30FPS) and then decrease (The Fury) in some parts afterwards.
Even if it's a port, they could have taken the time to sort of break the engine down into bits and pieces and optimized it for the 3DS, and it would have been a good, solid engine. Same goes for building the game from the ground up, although this latter way is likelier to produce an optimized engine.

It COULD be that Kojima didn't want to compromise graphics too much, but hey, it's their decision. I personally wouldn't have minded a sort of VBR approach to it -- You know, lower texture/models in known problematic areas to keep framerate up (or just cheat the damn thing). One main advantage of this iteration was that the top screen is incredibly immersive because of the lack of HUD (and with it being 3D), but the erratic framerate tends to breaks that immersion. Plus lags are incredibly distracting as hell.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Even if it's a port, they could have taken the time to sort of break the engine down into bits and pieces and optimized it for the 3DS, and it would have been a good, solid engine. Same goes for building the game from the ground up, although this latter way is likelier to produce an optimized engine.

It COULD be that Kojima didn't want to compromise graphics too much, but hey, it's their decision. I personally wouldn't have minded a sort of VBR approach to it -- You know, lower texture/models in known problematic areas to keep framerate up (or just cheat the damn thing). One main advantage of this iteration was that the top screen is incredibly immersive because of the lack of HUD (and with it being 3D), but the erratic framerate tends to breaks that immersion. Plus lags are incredibly distracting as hell.
Oh, I'm certainly not defending Konami. They should have took the time to optimize this for the 3DS and make it a competent port but they chose the lazy way out.

I don't think they would even have to compromise visuals considering the 3DS is more powerful than the PS2. In fact, they took the time to add some new effects.

Seen a great idea on another forum, a Ghost Babel remake with the Naked Sample engine. If Kojima does this, I'll consider him redeemed for this port.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom never promised DLC for Revelations and they've even mentioned that it wouldn't be possible to do so anyway as they hadn't programmed it to be able to.

Isn't that Liberation?

nah liberation was suppsed to be it's own game, which is hard to say as it pretty much is a couple movies with a resident evil minigame

Are you sure >_> That sounds like it should be DLC. Not a whole new game.

servant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Isn't that Liberation?

Are you sure >_> That sounds like it should be DLC. Not a whole new game.
so does playing an unlockable mode of killing waves of zombies >_>

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
They could certainly supply a new engine (or code binary) via patch if they wanted to. Most of the RAM that gets used is filled with data from game assets (textures, models, etc). The code binary itself wouldn't be more than a couple of MBs in size.
Hmm. I had suspicions that it would be possible, I just had no real idea what to expect from a revamped game engine and how to really work it out, except the way AR codes does it--by getting to memory first and intercepting calls for one object, replacing it with another. If this is true, then it certainly sounds promising.

Question is, is the current DLC/Patching system implemented by Nintendo on the 3DS really up for the task? For all we know, current patching system might be somehow limited in scope or whatnot. I know that DLC requires the original game to support it. Although, of course, any game COULD be made to support DLC thru a game patch. I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1