Hacking ktemkin drama

snails1221

LOVE EVERYONE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everybody can agree with me when I say that ktemkin didn't do anything wrong in her mind she was just letting NVIDIA/Nintendo know about the bug. I woulda done the same thing if i was in her position.
The last thing I would do is go full on whiteknight mode. She is homebrew dev not a Nintendo empolee.

Reactions: TAUSENN

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
This situation with Mike sure sounds familar.. almost like history repeats itself. He's just a hackerman trying to learn things. Ended up angering someone that wanted to pull the *phobic card with no actual evidence in an attempt to ruin their image. The crux of the issue is people throwing around the word 'transphobe' too freely. I dont foresee any kind of paradigm shift where people are able to work together for the common goal of hacking sadly. =[

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't post links since my post count isn't high enough yet, so please excuse my attempts at sourcing.
This is mainly just a hypothetical and me thinking of what could possibly have went down on both sides.

What I've pieced together about this exploit is that Ktemkin reported SciresM's bootrom exploit as an example of what a different bug used on the pixel could lead into since, while publicly documented, is used as an intended feature of the tegra, essentially telling google, and by extension nvidia and nintendo that what people use as an intended feature could be loaded and used maliciously.
This bootrom bug however is used as part of the dejavu process.
SciresM has been saving dejavu for when mariko units come out as nintendo only partially patched the exploit chain in 5.0.0.
He has stated on 4chan that dejavu mainly utilises a hardware bug in the tegra CPU that affects sleep mode and the mariko may fix this (but his wording implies that it might not be since he's just making a guess) as seen here (/vg/ post 220764501)
This very likely reboots the switch and then this new bootrom exploit loads a payload on boot, said payload booting the cfw, (Youtube ID "OOwkcAx1ITA") .

I'd say that SciresM has a right to be miffed about this tbh, especially if it meant that it could potentially be the only current way of loading cfw on mariko units if they hadn't patched it, which they likely will do now.

Last edited by krasaty,
Reactions: charlieb

Earth4Heaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this sucks. I always liked @ktemkin. She was as transparent as possible with the scene, so I wish they could have talked this out privately. Also wish someone or groups could unite the scene. It can't possibly be this way?? Just my opinion. Thanks @Chary for cleaning house and others for staying on topic. This thread is one hell of a read...

snails1221

LOVE EVERYONE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this sucks. I always liked @ktemkin. She was as transparent as possible with the scene, so I wish they could have talked this out privately. Also wish someone or groups could unite the scene. It can't possibly be this way?? Just my opinion. Thanks @Chary for cleaning house and others for staying on topic. This thread is one hell of a read...
To be honest I never really liked Kate as a person but to each his own.

failzers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This situation with Mike sure sounds familar.. almost like history repeats itself. He's just a hackerman trying to learn things. Ended up angering someone that wanted to pull the *phobic card with no actual evidence in an attempt to ruin their image. The crux of the issue is people throwing around the word 'transphobe' too freely. I dont foresee any kind of paradigm shift where people are able to work together for the common goal of hacking sadly. =[
>aurorawright was also a part of reswitched
really makes me think....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SDA, ok googled it and sad