Latest Nintendo leak is full of unreleased GB and GBC games

Being referred to as Gigaleak III, this latest dump surfaced on 4chan on Thursday:

wcc9a5etlpbb83ollbbu.png

Gigaleak 3 contains loads of unreleased and unfinished Game Boy and Game Boy Color games such as Pokemon Picross, Gargoyle’s Quest II, Legend of the Sea King and Legend of the River King. There is also a port of the Mega Man board game, Rockboard and a Hello Kitty GB Printer game:

The dump supposedly also has the entirety of Nintendo's lineup for the GameBoy and GameBoy Colour included.

:arrow: Source: 4Chan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what I don't get is why nintendo didn't destroy these unreleased games unless they were VC bound i see no point in keeping it
Nintendo has been repackaging their old content for decades at this point (the original Super Mario All-Stars being 1993, it being a nominal remake of a 1985 title and some other games the latest being 1988), and everybody loves an alternative cut or unreleased title; books, music, films and TV having done it for years before Nintendo went in on games.

You also have lawsuits to worry about. Both the "I did the work and did not get paid" type, to show something in case of a financial audit (if Nintendo spent out to acquire some property or create something then even if the final release never saw light you want something to show an auditor that it did not just have the money slide off into someone's bank account) and also the "we invented this concept" to which you can turn around and say "funny that, here is us 5 years earlier" flavours and the many variations on those themes.

Cost of storage of all this is likely minimal as well and only getting smaller with time; several terabytes was something to note back in the early 2000s, today I would probably get a questioning remark if I asked my corporate IT for a backup system that small.

They could also have had a historical preservation angle of their own.

Re some of the comments.

If people are interested in archiving (I will note those preserving might not know what they have, never mind able to do much themselves with it, but many times people have been happy they did) then there is a guy named Jason Scott who these days works for the internet archive but has previously done other things too. He has all sorts of good talks on things related to it
Around here this will probably be the best jumping off point

but there are loads of others

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, I... I think I remember seeing a screenshot of that pokèmon picross game from an old nintendo magazine when they made an article about unreleased games. I do remember there being some sort of DK-theme puzzle game too for the gba... wonder if it will be leaked in the future...

It's always so exciting being able to finally get your hands on something that was though to be lost forever or what <3

If only a certain idiot didn't ruin the chances of us getting our hands on the final build of Resident Evil 1.5...now THERE'S a story right there!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not really. It's theorized that an ex-employee is behind this, or some other developer who had access to data repositories, and they're just leaking stuff on a really slow drip. No hacks or compromises took place.

Modern Vintage Gamer said that it might be from the partner company who provided chips to Nintendo systems all the way up to the Wii/Wii U from what I remember when he was talking about some of the previous Gigaleaks.

D

Deleted User

If only a certain idiot didn't ruin the chances of us getting our hands on the final build of Resident Evil 1.5...now THERE'S a story right there!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Modern Vintage Gamer said that it might be from the partner company who provided chips to Nintendo systems all the way up to the Wii/Wii U from what I remember when he was talking about some of the previous Gigaleaks.
Oh dear, I've followed RE1.5 stuff for years, but fell off after the Magic Door build came about.
What happened that someone ruined our chances of 1.5 being leaked?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dear, I've followed RE1.5 stuff for years, but fell off after the Magic Door build came about.
What happened that someone ruined our chances of 1.5 being leaked?

What lead to the Magic Zombie Door build getting released actually fucked things over behind the scenes for Team IGAS. They were in contact with someone who owned the final build of Resident Evil 1.5 (whether it was 65% or 80% done was a debate that was had on The Horror is Alive, rest its soul) as far as I understand it. From the research I've done, that's up to the very final boss of the game inside the train much like in the final version of RE2, albeit this is the prototype Birkin we're talking about (I think it was Inflames or some old Resident Evil fansite that got a bunch of blurry, mid-2000's phone camera grade photos of someone who owned this build of the game in Japan as I understood it. It has stuff like a playable Marvin in the factory office with a bite wound that's bandaged up around his foot and a few other things not seen in the current build)

Anyways, what happened was that a user named Colvin apparently knew someone at Team IGAS, and was buddy buddy with them enough for the team member to apparently make a copy of the version of Resident Evil 1.5 that they had personally. This was the 40% build that I forget who it was that got a hold of it off of an eBay sale on THIA, but they were a regular poster there. The dude then posted it out for all to see, as there were skeptics who weren't sure what build of the game the MZD was based off of. This build in particular is what Team IGAS was basing a lot of their work off of. It's mostly in Japanese, with a lot more broken stuff than what's in the MZD.

Naturally, the member of the team wasn't supposed to potentially let the secret out that he and the rest of Team IGAS (outside of MrBZork and that DrBirkin or whatever the other guy who chimed in occasionally at times on THIA, I don't know how big the team was) had their hands on this build of the game, let alone that they were trying to recreate the original version of Resident Evil 2 with help from someone who, in the event he sensed something was off, would cut off contact if it came to it. Well, when Colvin tried to sell his disc on eBay, that's when shit hit the fan. Team IGAS, and I think maybe some members of THIA (read: anyone who was a moderator or a longtime poster on the forum) who had been looking for anything that would lead them to get the build of RE1.5 were scrambling, trying to contact I think it was eBay staff and/or Facebook to get the sale taken down, and they eventually did so, but to protect themselves, I think they ended up releasing the the MZD build, which was a build that was compiled at an earlier point in their workflow compared to some of the progress they had displayed in some of the videos on MrBZork's channel.

I know these are some big blocks of texts that tended to ramble on and mention this and that here or there, but even I don't remember the minutae of how it all went down, as I was told by others. Unfortunately, The Horror is Alive forums where a lot of the discussion for Resident Evil 1.5, let alone the Cool 1.5 Screenshots thread has been down for quite a few weeks, with the site's maintenance being all over the place.

I will say that Team IGAS eventually contacted Gemini (PS1 hacker who put together the translation patches for Persona 2 Innocent Sin and one of the translation patches for the PS1 version of Tales of Phantasia, at least) who developed this Resident Evil-esque engine called Squeeze Bomb for PC, and that's where the majority of the work is supposedly being done atm. That's the last update we ever heard from him on the matter on THIA. Nothing specific has been states since. I saw on a reply to one of the man's videos (if you look up Loboto_3, you can find his Twitter account, and probably links to his YT page from there) that the work required on this game would take about as long as AM2R. All the while, he's been releasing mods for the PC versions of the classic versions of the RE trilogy and the first Dino Crisis that make the games more compatible with modern PCs, but nothing has been said of Resident Evil 1.5. Chances are, they are probably taking an AM2R approach in regards to releasing the game; make sure everything's done, release it once, let Capcom send a virtual Hunter to DMCA the original link, and let what goes on the Internet, stay on the Internet.

I was following all of this at one point, but nowadays, it's kind of more like how it was with AM2R until I just so happened to check DoctorM64's blog and discover that the game is actually almost done, like, one month from the fact. If it happens, it happens. If not, I think what Kamiya-san and various people have said about the game probably holds up now that everyone's looked at the game and seen at least partially what's in it. I know that's passing judgement on a game that we don't have the final build of, but I think the Resident Evil 2 we got, all things considered, is the better product by far, even if the factory section of Resident Evil 1.5 does have me wondering what could have been.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally some interesting stuff on GBAtemp!
I was beginning to fear gbatemp has become like IGN.
Well, GBAtemp was a ROM distributor when it first started. Even though it's anti-warez now, you'l find that they still scour the dark corners of the web to find leaks and things. I mean, 4chan? Come on; that's, like, Warez City! :ninja:

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was, yes. I guess you didn't grow up with Nintendo consoles and handhelds.
I didin't (fucking Poland), but i know what's it about, i mean people tend to group gameboy and gameboy color togheter probably because most of gbc games can be played on normal gameboy and most of people don't even know that gbc Has extra powerp

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello,
can you help me to understand what "Gargoyle Quest II" is ?

- When i was child I remeber to play "Gargoyle Quest" on my Gameboy. ( a master piece )
- After some year i find "Gargoyle Quest II" on nes and try to play it, but i stop because it was identical to gameboy version.
( bad memory ? )
- Now there is this leak and i can't understand whic game is it....

Can you help to put a little in order in my memories ?

Thank you,
m.

Gargoyle's Quest on the Gameboy is not the same game as Gargoyles Quest II on the NES.

This leak is the translated GB version of Gargoyles Quest II (I don't know how it differs from the fan translation), and it's much better than the NES version because you don't move incredibly slow (might have been the real reason you stopped playing).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, GBAtemp was a ROM distributor when it first started. Even though it's anti-warez now, you'l find that they still scour the dark corners of the web to find leaks and things. I mean, 4chan? Come on; that's, like, Warez City! :ninja:
You should see some of the discord servers I'm on... It's a goldmine, and way better than searching google or that bay site.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Holy moly with these leaks.
2020 has been definitely the best year for us Nintendo fanboys.

There's this rumor going on that Nintendo and Square is planning to release a new Super Mario RPG game alongside the SNES game on the Switch.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

-clipped for size-.
Interesting, there was a few bits of information I did not know. Thanks for the indepth explanation. If you have a link to the podcast you mentioned, which talks about this, could I ask for a link, if possible, please? As searching hasn't really delivered me any luck, and I'd like to listen to it.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1