linux vs windows vs mac,who is the best?

linux or windows or mac?

• windows

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • mac

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • linux

Votes: 37 48.7%

• Total voters

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Windows OS

Windows 10 - If you want to be spied on whilst playing games.
Windows 9 - If you don't exist too.
Windows 8.1 - If you like it... I guess... With it's "familiar" and "easy to use" interface...
Windows 8 - If you don't have internet...
Windows 7 - If you hate support.
Windows Vista - If you hate yourself.
Windows XP - If you REALLY hate support.
Windows 2000 - If you want to look like you come from the future.
Windows 98 - The operating system I still have...
Windows ME - The one I had in a foreign language.
MS-DOS - Windows still uses it. And it's crap.

Mac

I have no idea about Mac. It's based of Unix though.

Linux

But Linux. It's good. But not good for gaming? Makes sense, because my gaming computer runs Linux, and I play all the games I want to play, natively.
Also, a usable shell, and also, no terminal required interface. Learning Linux is a thing of the past. Seriously, it has a UI.
Security fixed very fast, has big companies behind it, lots of people too.
Explain to me those "all the games" and "natively" without using Wine and PlayOnLinux in a sentence

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I agree in that case, but take a look at this:
I'm kind of a perfectionist when gaming is involved and I can say this isn't the only game that has fps drop due to OpenGL.
But hey, if you have a gtx 980 you don't have those problems even with Wine (even if it has a significant fps drop compared to windows)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not very well english-educated, so I found your post a little hard to understand. I'll try to give an answer anyway.
The problem is me, not the LibreOffice suite. I never take enough time to learn and comprehend this free office suite. The thing that I particularly don't like is the interface: since Office 2007, the new ribbon ui become the standard on the office suite, but LibreOffice (once OpenOffice iirc) never caught the occasion to refresh its ui, which seems to me, horrible and anti-functional with too many buttons and no tabs to switch.
Nothing much to say about LibreOffice Write, docx is not entirely supported but it's not a big deal, but Calc is another thing.
Many functions that are available on the Office suite are not on LibreOffice, enough said. Also, as I mentioned before xlsx are pretty broken, and it's no-good for a calculus-sheet.
I don't use Impress, I used to make databases with Office, but not anymore.

My apologies, I do usually try to not make things difficult. Not sure what went there.

I have slightly warmed to ribbon in recent years, however I still do not consider it an improvement in office UI. Maybe not as much of a bad move as it was at first (MS have improved things a bit after all) but it is not the way forward for UI design from where I sit.

Calc? Other than some of the crazier sides of macros what is really missing? When was the last time you tested the newer ????x import functions in Libre office as well? Libreoffice (then open office) had more or less conquered the old doc/xls/ppt stuff, to the point where it was probably better than the modern MS stuff -- if you found a 1997 document and needed it opening then open office was where you probably would have gone first, but then MS came out with the ???x formats for partially good reasons and the first attempts at supporting them were not great. Current stuff does quite a bit better. You can still find things that will break it (people putting tables inside of tables usually does it for me) but the day to day stuff should be fine.

MS office has a billion odd functions, no argument there. Libreofffice misses no small number of them. Once upon a time there was a phrase along the lines of "most people only use 10% of MS office, however it is always a different 10%". However I am not sure that is the case any more.

On docx... since the rise of the ipad and people started sending me and mine whatever that nasty mac/IOS office program uses I have gone the other way and almost exclusively deal in PDF or HTML. Indeed about the only times I do not are when I am sending a copy of my CV to a job agency for them to ruin. You would not believe the amount of aggravation that gets avoided by doing this.

I certainly do not install libreoffice at places without first playing things out a bit, and on some of the larger ones then office 365 or a virtual machine is available for when it is absolutely necessary, but for most purposes I have to consider it there.

Reactions: 4ur0r

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I agree in that case, but take a look at this:
I'm kind of a perfectionist when gaming is involved and I can say this isn't the only game that has fps drop due to OpenGL.
But hey, if you have a gtx 980 you don't have those problems even with Wine (even if it has a significant fps drop compared to windows)

(I didn't watch the entire video)
They have more or less the same performance most of the time. In some areas it's slower and drops some FPS on Ubuntu because Nvidia hadn't ported PhysX (GPU) yet, but since the release of Steam for Linux they've started porting everything and improving the driver.
Anyway, PhysX (GPU) has been ported some months ago, so new games won't drop as much as Borderlands 2 does (and they may even perform better).

yodamerlin

Bok bok.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Windows 10 is literally Windows 8.1 with Windows 7 shell improved.

Don't see why the need to hate all the OS' so much.
Did I knock Windows 10's UI? No? Good, we have nothing wrong then.

Explain to me those "all the games" and "natively" without using Wine and PlayOnLinux in a sentence
Gunpoint, CIV 5, Portal, Portal 2, Frozen Synapse, Race the Sun, Minecraft, Kerble Space Program and many more. But seriously, Gunpoint is all I need.

Reactions: Monado_III

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's obviously Windows. Nobody has time for the BS everything-incompatible in Linux, it's for no-lives and then there's Windows for everybody else which works perfectly.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's obviously Windows. Nobody has time for the BS everything-incompatible in Linux, it's for no-lives and then there's Windows for everybody else which works perfectly.
Have you used linux? I have no clue what on earth you're talking about, what's incompatible?

No-lives, like the US Military? Or like about half of gbatemp users? Or some of the people here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters#Businesses_and_non-profits) including Nvidia's CEO, and tons of people at IBM, Amazon, Google, or Dreamworks?

Works perfectly, except when it BSOD's for no apparent reason.

You're either ignorant, trolling, or both.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Might seem crazy, but my printer doesn't even need drivers when plugged into my ubuntu pc.
Same as many other devices. Linux has more compatibility than windows, but windows has more efficent drivers.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Might seem crazy, but my printer doesn't even need drivers when plugged into my ubuntu pc.
Same as many other devices. Linux has more compatibility than windows, but windows has more efficent drivers.
No, Linux doesn't support most hardware pieces and barely has any software. The OS also looks and behaves like Windows 2000 or something. We've already got an obvious loser.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, Linux doesn't support most hardware pieces and barely has any software. The OS also looks and behaves like Windows 2000 or something. We've already got an obviously loser.
Ehm... I've used Ubuntu for more than three years and I rarely needed to use any Windows program that doesn't work in Wine (and I rarely needed to use any Windows program that works in Wine as well...)
There are no compatibility issues if you build the right hardware. Everything in my PC still works fine.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, a lot more games have been ported to Linux these past couple of years. I generally buy all my PC games through GOG and Humble, and it's rare for me to come across something that isn't designed with Ubuntu in mind (which works fine with Mint since Mint uses Ubuntu as a base). Then again, I mostly play Indie and AA games on PC. Not trying to be a pretentious dick, it's just there aren't many AAA games that appeal to me.

That said, that doesn't mean they're good ports. Sometimes they're just the windows version shoved into some kind of WINE like wrapper. I'm not saying gaming on Linux is superior, just that it's an option that isn't as bad as it used to be. If you want to get the most out of your PC on the gaming front, Windows is still the way to go.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, Linux doesn't support most hardware pieces and barely has any software. The OS also looks and behaves like Windows 2000 or something. We've already got an obvious loser.
Let's stop feeding the troll :P

I thought it were the opposite...
Well, it works this way for GPUs and printers surely, dunno about other things to be honest... Well, I learn something new everyday, thank you sir.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Monado_III
Hardware support is an issue, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux#Hardware_support
It's for no-lifes because nearly everything is command line based so you need to remember all the silly commands and flags to do most things.
One thing I forget is gaming support is nearly non-existent.
It might work perfectly too but it's severely lacking functionality so that barely matters and besides, the bash terminal is even visually bugged sometimes when you scroll through text and such.

Linux is only good for being a server for something but not for a working machine.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I plug in my Razer mouse, no drives needed all buttons work properly, I plug in my camera, works, I connect to my printer, again, it just works. In Windows to do any of those things (minus the printer) I'd need to find the right drivers, install them and hope it works.

Linux desktopS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Plasma_5
Windows 200 desktop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000#/media/File:Windows_2000_Server.png
Please tell me they look the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1