Logitech Gaming Software is garbage

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just got the G910 Orion Spectrum keyboard in the mail the other day. First and foremost, it's a very comfortable and sleek keyboard, it's my first mechanical keyboard and it was easy to get up and running. However, the software required to install, Logitech Gaming Software, is pure garbage, why? One, it gives you zero options to change the installation folder, forcing me to install to my Windows SSD, and to, because it goes to that directory, it forces the "read only" attribute. What this does is upon booting to Windows, LGS doesn't start up, but the keyboard loads its default rainbow sweeping for the backlight LEDs instead of the color I specified, a dark blue. I saved in LGS settings to load the color to be persistent, even when I boot it up. I don't know what to do, there's no way I can force the program to remember the color I chose, much less have it properly do so when it loads up the OS. I'm starting to feel I made a huge mistake on this and just wasted 120 dollars on this keyboard. You would think Logitech would have me be able to have full control over the LGS software, where it installs, have it actually remember where I can install it, have it actually boot up and remember the specific color profile when it boots up, etc.

What the hell was I thinking? I wanted my first mechanical gaming keyboard experience to be a good one. Sadly, it's been sullied by shitty software, otherwise, I would have to endure the default sweeping rainbow colors going across the keyboard, which would be very distracting for me. IDK, maybe I could live with it and remove that damn program. What should I do? Should I get a return label from Amazon and get a full refund and then go to Best Buy and buy a keyboard that actually has on-board memory to save my customized color profile? Or should I keep it and enjoy having a keyboard that'll last a long time?

I'm pissed that the Logitech Gaming software won't save my profile, nor will it remember to load that up when I boot up Windows 10. Also upset that I can't remove the Read Only attribute from the installation folder, which I'm sure would solve this issue. :hateit::unsure:

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Um, what? LGS loads up for me on boot and saves/loads profiles just fine.. What'd you do??

Also, Corsair makes better mech keyboards imo.. But their software is trash. I have to use it for my RAM and Cooler.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, what? LGS loads up for me on boot and saves/loads profiles just fine.. What'd you do??

Also, Corsair makes better mech keyboards imo.. But their software is trash. I have to use it for my RAM and Cooler.

I didn't do anything wrong. I installed it and that was it. Nothing more. Was I supposed to run it as admin before I installed it? Because I'm the admin of this computer, no one else uses it, using the most recent version *sigh*. Dammit, what do I do now? Should I uninstall it, reinstall it as admin, then reboot when it prompts me to?

The thing is, I set the profile (default) to be the one to override them all, I want it the same color all the time, and when I started up my PC this morning, it didn't save the profile I wanted it to override.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I didn't do anything wrong. I installed it and that was it. Nothing more. Was I supposed to run it as admin before I installed it? Because I'm the admin of this computer, no one else uses it, using the most recent version *sigh*. Dammit, what do I do now? Should I uninstall it, reinstall it as admin, then reboot when it prompts me to?
I'd say yes? The whole "admin" concept is a joke and should have an option to turn off.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say yes? The whole "admin" concept is a joke and should have an option to turn off.

Then what should I do? This is really starting to piss me off, it makes it worse by the fact it gave me no options to pick the install directory, *sigh*. Uncheck run as Admin? Should I just
return the damn keyboard and get something else that doesn't require this program?

I wanted this to be a good experience, but if the software can't even remember what I save it as after powering my PC down for the night, and then turn it on the next morning, LGS is just...ugh.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Then what should I do? This is really starting to piss me off, it makes it worse by the fact it gave me no options to pick the install directory, *sigh*. Uncheck run as Admin? Should I just
return the damn keyboard and get something else that doesn't require this program?

I wanted this to be a good experience, but if the software can't even remember what I save it as after powering my PC down for the night, and then turn it on the next morning, LGS is just...ugh.
Hold on. I'll reinstall LGS and see what I can find.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to do that -_- I'm sorry. I'm just trying to figure this shit out and it's pissing me off. I didn't think it'd be so convoluted. Let me know.
Just hold your butt sir.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try using logitech gaming hub instead, its the newest version.

Well I'm an idiot for not realizing that was a thing. How much better would it be? Would it actually save the damn profiles I make after turning my PC off for the night and turning it back on the next day?

Just hold your butt sir.
Right, maybe I''ll try that other program instead if this doesn't work.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Well I'm an idiot for not realizing that was a thing. How much better would it be? Would it actually save the damn profiles I make after turning my PC off for the night and turning it back on the next day?

Right, maybe I''ll try that other program instead if this doesn't work.
It's fine for me.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so in order:

1. Uninstalled my current LGS install and rebooted.

2. Opened the installer and hit "Yes" at the UAC screen.

3. Software is installing, no directory option. (Shame)

4. Rebooted and it still launched on boot.

So, unless (for whatever reason) you or your install of Windows disabled it booting at startup? I don't know what's different. Could try G Hub. It's brand new and according to the site is in "Early Access". Installing it now, actually.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so in order:

1. Uninstalled my current LGS install and rebooted.

2. Opened the installer and hit "Yes" at the UAC screen.

3. Software is installing, no directory option. (Shame)

4. Rebooted and it still launched on boot.

So, unless (for whatever reason) you or your install of Windows disabled it booting at startup? I don't know what's different. Could try G Hub. It's brand new and according to the site is in "Early Access.

Son of a bitch, I don't know what the hell I did wrong then. I don't have UAC on because it's annoying so I don't bother with that, I'm the only one who uses this PC so I set it as an admin account. I do admit that I wasn't patient and skipped the "reboot now" option when I installed it last night. I'll try the Hub install, I'm sorry for being retarded :sad: The G Hub specifically supports this keyboard as well, so, I'll try it. I'm sorry.

It's fine for me.

Does it actually let you choose where to install it, or will I need to run as admin when I install for the first time? :unsure:

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Son of a bitch, I don't know what the hell I did wrong then. I don't have UAC on because it's annoying so I don't bother with that, I'm the only one who uses this PC so I set it as an admin account. I do admit that I wasn't patient and skipped the "reboot now" option when I installed it last night. I'll try the Hub install, I'm sorry for being retarded :sad: The G Hub specifically supports this keyboard as well, so, I'll try it. I'm sorry.

Does it actually let you choose where to install it, or will I need to run as admin when I install for the first time? :unsure:

No, it doesn't let you change directories. Logitech apparently doesn't like that.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
When installing stuff, I always right click and choose "run as admin" because my computer is bonked up. I have a lot of issues with it, but can't be bothered to back everything up and re-install everything :P

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When installing stuff, I always right click and choose "run as admin" because my computer is bonked up. I have a lot of issues with it, but can't be bothered to back everything up and re-install everything :P

I think it's fine now, with G hub it saved the profile after I test rebooted it. I know, I should have done a lot of things. I'm sorry everyone :(

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a general rule if I am required to install a driver for a standard input peripheral it is a bad peripheral. Even a standalone program can be somewhat dubious here, though if it saves some finger wizardry then so be it.

G-hub seems to be working better than the other version. I'm sorry to be a pain.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As a general rule if I am required to install a driver for a standard input peripheral it is a bad peripheral. Even a standalone program can be somewhat dubious here, though if it saves some finger wizardry then so be it.
I think the main part for it is to control the LED patterns and stuff like that, which wouldn't be possible without some sort of software :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol