OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey!

I'm GalenTheGamer (Mitch). I've been on GBATemp pretty passively for 10 years+

I moved to Nagasaki, Japan in 2017, and have lived here just about 5 years. I have JLPT N2 ability, currently studying business Japanese. I'm from Southern California. I've taught at Japanese Kindergarten/Elementary School/Jr. High School, and now currently teach ages 5 to 18 at a small Tokyo Eikaiwa Conversation School as the only main teacher. I use Anki app for flash cards, and talk to my boss and girlfriend in 90% Japanese. Played in Japanese taiko group for 3 years, currently host bilingual jam sessions as a singer/guitarist.

I'm happy to talk, or answer any questions.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
How did you get started? Did you take classes or was it all self study? And how did you reach N2? Did you go level by level and studied for each level with preparation books, or did it all come to you naturally from living there? :)

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How cool! I can't imagine being in a Japanese Taiko group – there's a great random fact about yourself that you can refer to in the future.

I've thought of spending a year in Japan or Korea for a while now, but figured these last couple years may not be the best moment for that.

Qs:

- Could you read any Japanese before moving to Japan? And how long would you say it took you to reach a point where you can read most things and generally understand what was being said?

- What would you say was the single most helpful thing, if any, for getting more comfortable in Japanese?

- Why did you move, and how long do you plan on staying?

GalenTheGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you get started? Did you take classes or was it all self study? And how did you reach N2? Did you go level by level and studied for each level with preparation books, or did it all come to you naturally from living there? :)
I took Japanese lessons my first two years of High School. I'd go after school twice a week to a local university. Took a lot of convincing my parents, but at the time I wanted to learn really bad, and not the French or Spanish at my HS. But through these 4 semesters, I retained a good base of information. Then I self-studied near the end of University, and moved here. The vast majority of my studying was in the teacher's room using handmade flashcards, notebooks, and mostly the Kaizen Master JLPT books. Any new grammar I would bounce off of senseis around me to see if I got it right or not. A mix of study and real-world use was important (although most N2 grammar isn't used on the day-to-day casual convos).

Reactions: Issac

GalenTheGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How cool! I can't imagine being in a Japanese Taiko group – there's a great random fact about yourself that you can refer to in the future.

I've thought of spending a year in Japan or Korea for a while now, but figured these last couple years may not be the best moment for that.

Qs:

- Could you read any Japanese before moving to Japan? And how long would you say it took you to reach a point where you can read most things and generally understand what was being said?

- What would you say was the single most helpful thing, if any, for getting more comfortable in Japanese?

- Why did you move, and how long do you plan on staying?
Yeah I highly recommend anything like taiko or another group just to integrate yourself and stay busy. Great culturally too. I liked rhythm games, and musical activities growing up so I quickly picked up the rhythms. I highly recommend living abroad in Asia, even for a couple years.

-You should 100% know the phonetic (pronounced) characters Hiragana/Katakana before coming! This is the basic, basic. I could read most menus, warning signs, and basic directions upon arrival. I could read children's books (almost no kanji) with 80% understanding too. I dedicated myself to learning a new Kanji character everyday (there's a good "kanji a day" desktop bg set on Google). Most people say don't practice writing (b/c its not tested on JLPT), but it was a great trance-like motor activity that really imprinted the N5/N4 kanji in my brain. I quickly was reading most things in everyday life by my second year. Japanese learning never ends, there's always something I don't know. I'd say you can generally understand most common written words and phrases around you by your 3rd year if you're consistently studying. (Realize there are people here for 10 years+ with little to no Japanese too).

-Surround yourself with Japanese people, and look up literally everything on your dictionary app. Be the annoying foreigner trying to keep up with the conversation. (Most) People will respect your desire to learn and push you in the right direction. I dated exclusively Japanese girls, purposely limited my time with other foreigners. Walk into a bar with 3 other foreigners, and no one will talk to you, its too intimidating for most Japanese. But walk in by yourself, & start a chat about the weather or your country with the bar tender & you'll attract their curiosity and people will enjoy the game of trying to communicate with you. Stay eager to learn. Even when you make big mistakes, earnestly say "sorry, still learning" and move on. (don't overdo the sorrys though).

-I've always been attracted to the culture. My older siblings were semi-otaku, I thought I was too. I still love gaming culture and feel nostalgic about Shonen Jump/Toonami/Ghibli/etc, but I realized my interest was truly in the deeper culture and history of Japan. Studied Kurosawa & Ozu movies in University & this rekindled my interest. Despite studying Business and Film, I took an Assistant Language Teaching (ALT) interview and got the job, which covered travel and visa stuff. Also, despite a big family, I don't feel strong roots in the US. I haven't been back once since coming, and don't particularly miss it. But I've seen others suffer culture shock. I think I'll stay much longer, maybe 10 more years, but I'm really not sure. It depends on my job and relationship. I like the idea of moving back, or somewhere else just for a year and then returning to Japan, though.

Latest photos

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: