Hardware Looking for anyone knowledgeable on GBA bootleg cartridges for info (not flashcarts!)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

Recently I was going through my old GB/A collection from when I was younger, trying to discern which copies were bootlegs so I could replace them with real cartridges. I came across a few very obvious bootlegs that I got from trading with classmates at school and whatnot. I got my tri-wing screwdriver set out, cracked them open....and became absolutely confused as to what I was looking at.

First Bootleg
One of them looked like a completely normal PCB with a few modules (I didn't get a picture because it looked completely normal to me). The actual game on it is super weird though, it's some odd bootleg of a platforming game that has Pikachu in it? I took a recording, here it is:

I don't even know what the other characters are so I don't know what to google about it, frankly. I tried looking up "Pikachu GBA Bootleg" and a few other related queries but had no luck. If someone can identify it, that'd be great.

Second Bootleg
The second one was labelled as "Pokémon Lugia's Ocean Version" and I found some info online about how it was only sold physically and to this day there isn't an official .ips patch or anything.
No idea how any of my friends managed to get their hands on it, especially where I lived. That isn't what's bothering me, however. What's bothering me is that when I split it open, I found this:
0AXBps1.png

For those who don't read Katakana, I'll translate:
ホクトノケン - Hokuto No Ken
キャラクラロム3 - Character ROM 3

So, basically, I said to myself, "That's funny, they named their bootleg chip or whatever after Fist of the North Star, ok" and kind of left it at that. I thought that "Hokuto No Ken" was the name of a line of burnable bootleg ROM chip. Kind of dumb of me to think that in retrospect...but whatever.

Third Bootleg
This one was a cartridge labelled "Pokémon Arcoiris" and had an image of Shadow Lugia on it. I looked online for a bit and found some guys who were discussing that they found it at a flea market years ago, but nothing really concrete as to its origin. In any case, I split it open and took a look.
A5kUseZ.png

マジカルハロウィンJC - Magical Halloween JC
サブS-ROM - Sabu [sub?] S-ROM

Wait a second...Magical Halloween? I've seen those pachinko machines in places in Shinjuku and Doutonbori...
What gives?

Then I realized that since both of these ROM chips were labelled with existing commercial properties, I started to think that maybe these were real GBA games that were then trashed and just overwritten. So I looked up how many of these games there were so I could match them, and get this:
There are no Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star games for GBA.
There are no Magical Halloween games for the GBA.

So...what the heck are these chips, then? I have no idea what I'm looking at and I would love to know. They've been in my collection for over a decade at this point and I'd love to identify more about them.

In addition,
1. I'd like to make legit, distributable .IPS patches of these carts that I have, as well as some other bootlegs. But I have no way of dumping GBA carts at the moment. What's the cheapest way to cleanly dump GBA ROMS?
2. Does anyone know the "ground zero" for these cartridges?
3. Where the heck did these modules come from on the PCB?

Thanks.

So what are the games on the 2nd and 3rd cart?

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I got that much, but I wanna see some gameplay.
If I can find my Link Cable, I'll dump it and find a permissible way to get it to you. I tried looking for Let's Plays of the two cartridges but I found people playing what seems to be ROM Hacks with the same name but not the same exact thing.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
ホクトノケン - Hokuto No Ken
キャラクラロム3 - Character ROM 3
There is no Hokuto no Ken GBA game released for GBA, so what is that? Did they just wiped a piece of lost media and wrote a common ROM over it?

EDIT: I just read the whole thread and now I know...

By the way:

Last edited by Chelsea_Fantasy,
Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64