Looking into purchasing a tablet for college.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well the ipad refurbished off of apples site is about 449 which seems to be the cheapest i can find for a 16gb ipad 3 model. From what i read it seems that apple takes very good care with refurbished models replacing everything so it is basically brand new but someone else preowned it which really doesn't bother me so i might get that because that saves me 50.
Apple refurbished stuff are really "brand new". The only difference is the box. You won't get a classy Apple one.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been doing the same thing, but on a tight budget for my birthday. Get a good PC (You're going to want one, I found a 15.6" Dell Inspiron with 4gb of DDR3 Ram for $300 on Bestbuy) And one of These:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075W8D7I/ref=asc_df_B0075W8D7I2186697?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=cnet-pc-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0075W8D7I

I'm planning on getting one. They don't come with google play though, but all you have to do is root it and install a quick custom rom. I'm getting that laptop, and the 8-inch bundle (SD card, Leather case/keyboard included) for a total of about $434.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking about getting the refurb apple ipad. A box really isn't that big a deal if it is brand new 50 dollars off i don't care if they ship it in a cardboard box with ipad written on it. Many people it seems are giving a lot of praise to refurbished products. The nexus 7 is nice but it doesn't have nearly as many apps made just for tablets as apple does. Also the 2048-by-1536 resolution on the ipad 3 is very tempting and from what i have seen and read about it looks beautiful.

Edit i already have both a laptop and a desktop the desktop being for gaming i just want something lighter and more portable to carry around then a laptop. Right now with 2 books and two binders that is all i have in my backpack besides my laptop the thing is heavy. Without the laptop in it the backpack is much lighter and easier to carry.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like i said i have a laptop yes but i am looking for something lighter to carry around with my books. I was looking into a tablet because i figured it would be lighter to carry then lugging around a 5+ pound laptop. I will do my work on my laptop but i wanted something nice to carry around if i can find a cheaper tablet that works just as well as a ipad i will buy it otherwise it seems the ipad will be the most logical choice for me.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get an Ipad. How soon do you need the tablet? If you wait until october, the new windows 8 tablets will be out. On the other hand, then Asus Transformer Infinity is a great choice.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea but from what i have been researching it seems a ipad with apples app store is one of the best tablets out there and has a lot of apps. Also in regards to the tablets by windows 8 read this article and it will tell you why one is not a good choice.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136368-leaked-windows-8-tablet-pricing-suggests-microsoft-may-have-already-lost-the-war-and-its-marbles.

So if anyone else has any other input i welcome it i won't be purchasing one for another couple weeks so maybe by then i will change my mind until then thank you for the help so far.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda off topic, but I'm looking for a laptop... I'm looking one that's less than or equal to 300 dollars, and I want it to at least run minecraft well... 350 might be alright... but a bit more than I want to pay.

noob killer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kinda off topic, but I'm looking for a laptop... I'm looking one that's less than or equal to 300 dollars, and I want it to at least run minecraft well... 350 might be alright... but a bit more than I want to pay.
well i got my laptop for less then 300 (280 or so) at target but i think it was a sell you should try there

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I would probably go with a ASUS Eee Transformer.
It's almost perfect for a collage student.
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/#specifications

If I ever got a tablet it would be a Transformer.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i got my laptop for less then 300 (280 or so) at target but i think it was a sell you should try there
What are the specs and name of it?

noob killer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What are the specs and name of it?
NE56r13u
intel b820 (dual core 1.7ghz)
15.6 hd lcd screen
intel hd graphics
4gb ddr3 ram
320 gig harddrive
dvd multi dl drive (whatever that means)
6cell battery
802.11b/g/n

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can wait till black friday there are sure to be good deals around rather then buying an out of date laptop from a terrible company
the intel hd graphics are also terrible, even the lowest end nvidia/amd igp beats the highest end intel hd chip
minecraft is fairly unoptimized so requires a bit of graphics horsepower to run it properly

noob killer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you can wait till black friday there are sure to be good deals around rather then buying an out of date laptop from a terrible company
the intel hd graphics are also terrible, even the lowest end nvidia/amd igp beats the highest end intel hd chip
minecraft is fairly unoptimized so requires a bit of graphics horsepower to run it properly
might not be the best but it does the job

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont get this whole tablet phase, surely if you got $500 dollars you could buy yourself a pretty nice notebook or laptop, rather than buying lesser specced systems just because they have a touchscreen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!