[Lost case] Saving a bricked Wii U (without anything)

testing_this

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally home !

I'm not sure if it's corrupted in the end, for sure. And yep it's exactly where I am.
I've checked the guide, but the closest thing i've to the setup is an old old old netbook running Mint (like that thing is maybe... 14 years old not) i'm not sure if it'd work. Also would have to setup an SD Card then.

Linux is the only way ?
Thanks a lot o/
You can use Rufus to create a live USB drive running Ubuntu (with persistent data). No need to install.

Last edited by testing_this,

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for plug @CrisMod :)

Hey Rick, I think the most important thing is to try and see if you can get SLC,MLC, Opt.bin extracted from your system.......
In your post you mentioned that you can get to the internet settings without a crash. What about accessing a website from the browser, does that work or does that crash too? You may be able to get to a point where you can Launch an exploit (through the browser) for your (5.5.2 system) , such that you can run a homebrew app called "Wiiu Nand Dumper" to backup your Wiiu in it's current state. This will provide some better options before you begin experimenting..

Based on your reply (if browser works) then we will know which avenue to direct you to next.

Cheers!
I dont know if this can work, but i remember that the switch can access the internet by a method i dont really know how easy it is to setup and if the browser actually can open through that on the wii u... So there is a way to "log in" into a wifi (for example free wifi networks in stores here in germany usually tell you to "log in" by accepting an agreement and start your free wifi for some time). I heard you can set this method up to access google or maybe even a specific website... i could try it myself with my wii u but maybe someone knows already if it can work...

Capriboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi!
I have the same problem. Exactly the same.
I turn on the WiiU, it asks to create a Mii, then crashes with error 160-2215. 5.5.3 USA

It was easy to do the procedure to run BluUbomb and run the Homebrew Launcher. So far all ok.

After sending the payload via bluetooth, it is necessary to go back to the screen (pairing the wiimote), proceed with the creation of the Mii. When you open the Mii Maker screen (which is currently defective) enter the HBL that will be in memory.

To run Ftp, I can only run Mocha first. I can't reinstall a Mii Channel at all.
I installed a game on NAND just for testing. It worked after running the SIG Patch.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to proceed?

It seems that the big problem here is this Mii Channel (or just insert one user), because apparently everything is working... can I insert any user via FTP that doesn't have a Nintendo account only for the system boot? I remember once managing to delete users via FTP, but how to insert a new one? At where?

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To give an answer, I didn't give up. I just focus on IRL stuff that drains a lot of time.
I didn't have a clean setup with Linux under the hand since I didn't have my laptop, just got it back, but my Wii U is with my collection stuff which I don't have under the hand right now.

I'm planning to relook at this soon enough especially that i'd need a CFW'd Wii U after the e-shop issues

Capriboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could reinstall the Mii Maker using the install_wup bluubomb binary.
Grab the files from NUS and install them. Might fix the issues with the Mii Maker.
Thanks for the tip.

I still need to understand a detail about how the install_wup that comes with BluUbomb works.
Based on my WiiU's region, I used UWizard to download Title ID 000500101004A100 for the corresponding Mii Maker.
Now I put the folder 000500101004A100 inside SD:\install

I copied the install_wup to the root of the SD and renamed it to bluu_kern.bin
SD is apparently ready. I'll test it as soon as I get home.

Got something else to check?
Should I use the new version of BluUbomb or does the old one work normally?

1- Start the blueetooth driver

2- Press Sync on WiiU

3 - I run the bluubomb with the MAC address of my WiiU obtained previously

On success the console will reboot, on failure it will power off.

Another question: After running the BluUbomb on Linux and inject payload (counter increasing), I have to go to the creation of the Mii again and advance until the payload runs or the console will install the WUP and restart by itself without having to go to NEXT , Next, next ... what is the expected behavior?

Attachments

• fig1.png
    fig1.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 44
  • fig2.png
    fig2.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by Capriboy,

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still need to understand a detail about how the install_wup that comes with BluUbomb works.
Based on my WiiU's region, I used UWizard to download Title ID 000500101004A100 for the corresponding Mii Maker.
Now I put the folder 000500101004A100 inside SD:\install
You should put the files directly into the "install" folder. The title.tmd file should be directly in the "install" folder without any subfolders.
Your files seem to be missing the title.tik though.
Should I use the new version of BluUbomb or does the old one work normally?
I recommend using the latest version. It fixes a few stability issues.
Another question: After running the BluUbomb on Linux and inject payload (counter increasing), I have to go to the creation of the Mii again and advance until the payload runs or the console will install the WUP and restart by itself without having to go to NEXT , Next, next ... what is the expected behavior?
The wup will install immediately after running bluubomb.
So run bluubomb and wait until the console reboots (or powers off on failure).

Capriboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You should put the files directly into the "install" folder. The title.tmd file should be directly in the "install" folder without any subfolders.
Your files seem to be missing the title.tik though.

I recommend using the latest version. It fixes a few stability issues.

The wup will install immediately after running bluubomb.
So run bluubomb and wait until the console reboots (or powers off on failure).

Hi! Greetings! Everything worked! Once you understand how everything works, it really gets simple.
Thank you so much for your help, GaryOderNichts. Your help tool is very important.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi !
I'm gonna redumb that because I didn't want to be too naughty by creating a new thread for the same thing.

Pretty much, life has been a pain, didn't have any real free time for that. But i've finally some time to take care of some consoles and this one is one of them.

So the issue is SAME as the Original Post.

I remember the idea to install Bluubomb (https://gbatemp.net/threads/fix-ssl-module-brick-without-a-nand-backup-using-bluubomb.603510/)

So i'd like to start from this. As said before I've an old Notebook (REALLY OLD) with Mint on it. Could I use that one to set it up ? If not I can try to set up with Rufus and something more recent.

My other question would be : How many GB i'd need for the SD Card ? I only have 4GB under the hand atm. Is it enough ?

I'd just need the basic infos on the setup before continuing (and keeping you all updated with that).

Thanks !

Last edited by Rick Astley,

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey !
I saw that yesterday while lurking, and the advantage would be that i've 3 CFW Switch so no issues.

But i'm more confused in what should I do if I boot into the Recovery Menu with my Mii Channel problem. Like re-installing one ? What option to go for ?

Also is a 4GB card enough for that ?

Thanks o/

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey !
I saw that yesterday while lurking, and the advantage would be that i've 3 CFW Switch so no issues.

But i'm more confused in what should I do if I boot into the Recovery Menu with my Mii Channel problem. Like re-installing one ? What option to go for ?

Also is a 4GB card enough for that ?

Thanks o/
You could dump the logs to your SD which helps with further troubleshooting. Reinstalling the Mii Maker is also possible from there.
4 GB is more than enough. Just make sure it's FAT32 formatted.

Reactions: Rick Astley

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You could dump the logs to your SD which helps with further troubleshooting. Reinstalling the Mii Maker is also possible from there.
4 GB is more than enough. Just make sure it's FAT32 formatted.

Hey !
Thanks a lot. I've dumped the logs. You can find them here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsfmxgwj3b31ip9/logs.zip?dl=0

I saw an error with 22.log, which is linked... to the Mii Maker channel.

It worked well that way (at least to get the recovery menu to show). How should I go for reinstalling the Mii Maker channel ?
Thanks again o/

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey !
Thanks a lot. I've dumped the logs. You can find them here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsfmxgwj3b31ip9/logs.zip?dl=0

I saw an error with 22.log, which is linked... to the Mii Maker channel.

It worked well that way (at least to get the recovery menu to show). How should I go for reinstalling the Mii Maker channel ?
Thanks again o/
Hmm logs show a data corruption error for the Mii Maker. You can try getting a clean copy of the Mii Maker using JNUSTool and installing it using the "Install WUP" option in the recovery menu.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm I'm looking at that but there're many parameters when I'm not used to the Wii U scene at all x_x
Should i go for something decrypted ? No setting at all ? Which version based on the previous page ?

Edit : Working on it but i'm getting the folder and not a WUP sadly. I'm getting lost with that part. I've the Mii Maker Channel (v50) Encrypted, it's a folder. is it a WUP ? I see it should be in the install folder without any subfolder but creating the folder of the content inside is a subfolder ?

Thanks o/

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A folder containing installable files is a WUP.
Putting a folder into the install folder is creating a subfolder.

So to make this clear, this is how the layout on the SD should look like:
Code:
/install/
/install/title.tmd
/install/title.tik
/install/00000000.app
/install/00000001.app
[and so on]

Reactions: Rick Astley

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A folder containing installable files is a WUP.
Putting a folder into the install folder is creating a subfolder.

So to make this clear, this is how the layout on the SD should look like:
Code:
/install/
/install/title.tmd
/install/title.tik
/install/00000000.app
/install/00000001.app
[and so on]

Thanks a lot ! I was not sure if the folder containing the game data was part of the WUP or not in the end, it was my last confusion.
And after running everything...

1671799396727.png

HURRAY. IT WORKED \o/
It was really only the Mii Maker Channel. I got the console to update to 5.5.5 (it was a 5.5.2 how curious haha) and I've now something 100% clean.

Last question : Based on the logs and stuff, no issue to go for CFW right ? Just need a SD Card now.

It took 1 year, but that Wii U is finally saved and alive \o/

Thanks a LOT to @GaryOderNichts for the tools and the help ;___; <3

Edit : Well nope, got an error while updating to 5.5.5 : 162-4065 at 99% when applying it. After rebooting the gamepad doesn't detect the Wii U and the TV gives me nothing yay. So can't do anything like botting the recovery menu. Is there any last hope or this time i'm good to say that i've been dumb enough to kill it ?

• Wow
Reactions: AQS

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks a lot ! I was not sure if the folder containing the game data was part of the WUP or not in the end, it was my last confusion.
And after running everything...

HURRAY. IT WORKED \o/
It was really only the Mii Maker Channel. I got the console to update to 5.5.5 (it was a 5.5.2 how curious haha) and I've now something 100% clean.

Last question : Based on the logs and stuff, no issue to go for CFW right ? Just need a SD Card now.

It took 1 year, but that Wii U is finally saved and alive \o/

Thanks a LOT to @GaryOderNichts for the tools and the help ;___; <3

Edit : Well nope, got an error while updating to 5.5.5 : 162-4065 at 99% when applying it. After rebooting the gamepad doesn't detect the Wii U and the TV gives me nothing yay. So can't do anything like botting the recovery menu. Is there any last hope or this time i'm good to say that i've been dumb enough to kill it ?
Welp there has to be a reason why the Mii Maker got corrupted in the first place. Most likely is a hardware failure of the eMMC chip in the console.
Since I couldn't find any other logs indicating a bad chip I was hoping simply reinstalling the Mii Maker would be fine for now.
It's possible that updating the system ended up causing a lot more load on the chip, which caused it to fail.
You might be able to still get into the recovery_menu though, even if there's no video output.
Try it a few times and see if you get the purple LED.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good