Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry to disturb the gossip newsfeed but is anyone using the layered FS function of Luma3DS to patch games? Since I don't intend to take screenshots in my Fire Emblem Echoes game, I wanted to patch it without going through HANS/HBL so I activated the game patching option and slipped
the romfs file ( 001b4100.romfs) into the /luma/titles/00040000001b4100/ directory but the game still starts in english. Shall I use the original name of the file (DecryptedRomFS.bin? Or is it yet another name?
Thanks in advance.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so I activated the game patching option and slipped
the romfs file ( 001b4100.romfs) into the /luma/titles/00040000001b4100/ directory but the game still starts in english.
It hasn't worked that way since... many versions, actually

You're supposed to create /luma/titles/00040000001b4100/romfs/ and extract the romfs files in there
(you can only put the changed files to save space, as opposed to the full contents of the hacked romfs)

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Ryccardo
Thank you.
So, to change voices, I shall identify the sound files for the voices and put them there. How shall I open the bin file?

edit: sorry, I forgot to tell that I was under Luma 7.0.5 (through a9lh). And no, I won't change.

Last edited by AyanamiRei,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, to change voices, I shall identify the sound files for the voices and put them there. How shall I open the bin file?
Usually, people who release hacks provide a download of only the changed files (because it's the least illegal way to distribute a hack), you can use those

Or you can extract the whole romfs using a program like 3dstool:
3dstool -xvtf romfs name-of-romfs-file.bin --romfs-dir romfs
and just copy everything

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

edit: sorry, I forgot to tell that I was under Luma 7.0.5 (through a9lh). And no, I won't change.
No difference in basic layeredfs (single files from romfs) functionality between Luma 7 and 8

Reactions: AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Usually, people who release hacks provide a download of only the changed files (because it's the least illegal way to distribute a hack), you can use those

Or you can extract the whole romfs using a program like 3dstool:
3dstool -xvtf romfs name-of-romfs-file.bin --romfs-dir romfs
and just copy everything
The thing is it's not a hack apart from changing audio files. It's what they call a "undub". Since all thos epeople only provided rebuilded CIAs with the foreign audio files. I had to download one of those CIAs and extract the decryptedromfs.bin file. But since I had no idea how to open the resulting file to extract each audio file (and have also no idea what those audio files are), Iwas stucked.

@Ryccardo Ho, no. You already helped me. ^^" I was just explaining why I had a problem before you came. Now, let's go testing the different folders to discover wich one contains the voices tracks!

@jupitteer I'm not sure to understand why I received this question while asking for some feature explanation. Sorry if I'm not falling into yet another trendy thing who actually doesn't change a thing for the end usage of an hacked console. People were obnoxious with a9lh as soon as it became a thing, people are as obnoxious with b9something now, and if the console had enough years of life to come, the exact same people would still react the exact same way with the next shiny new thing.
From a developer's point-of-view, I'm sure there are interests. From a user's one, there is actually none for now.
edit: sorry, I forgot to answer: I won't change for now because it doesn't bring me anything. Just like buying a flat TV monitor doesn't bring me anything as someone who mainly watch TV, plays DVDs and 16-64bits games on the TV.

Last edited by AyanamiRei,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The thing is it's not a hack apart from changing audio files. It's what they call a "undub". Since all thos epeople only provided rebuilded CIAs with the foreign audio files. I had to download one of those CIAs and extract the decryptedromfs.bin file. But since I have no idea how to open the resulting file to extract each audio file (and have also no idea what those audio files are), I'm stuck.
Extract it with 3dstool as I said above, then :)
And try your best to figure out which files are the voices, or just copy everything and accept the loss of space
(or create a permanently patched cia and reinstall that!)

Reactions: AyanamiRei

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
She made a couple of bad moves actually :
- Ditching all other entrypoints and force users to update to B9S while it was perfectly doable (and far more clever) to at least keep A9HL (widely spread and still used actually) and B9S together for a while and slowly encourage (but not force) ppl to switch to B9S
- Thinking that every one flashed their 3DS/2DS theirself (mostly untrue) so those vast majority of ppl don't know how and, even if they know, will not risk entrypoint upgrade for a ZERO end-user gain.
- Introduce clearly untested and unstable feature (Rosalia)
- Pack other features in it to force it's usage (for example the locale support) while the "older" solution was functionnal and still usable, for now.
- Leaving the community because, for good reasons, ppl report bugs and problems while it was clearly possible to avoid them for the most part.

Hopefully there are other CFW that will benefit from this "Flee" and will gain both users and attention so it's not that bad in the end, being too focued on Luma is, clearly, the best way to be both disapointed and lost when this kind of thing happened.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Ditching all other entrypoints and force users to update to B9S while it was perfectly doable (and far more clever) to at least keep A9HL (widely spread and still used actually) and B9S together for a while and slowly encourage (but not force) ppl to switch to B9S
perfectly doable, yes. want to use, absolutely not; developers don't like to work with arm9loaderhax. they only did because it was the best thing we had. given how quick and easy it is to upgrade it was also not worth it keeping around an old and shitty-to-work-with entrypoint just because everyone is using it.
- Thinking that every one flashed their 3DS/2DS theirself (mostly untrue) so those vast majority of ppl don't know how and, even if they know, will not risk entrypoint upgrade for a ZERO end-user gain.
again, the upgrade process is mostly painless and safe, it's impossible to screw it up accidentally. so even if they did not do the initial setup, upgrading isn't that hard. in fact it will be made easier soon with GodMode9 scripts.
- Introduce clearly untested and unstable feature (Rosalia)
there was private beta testing a while before its release. but testing by a few people is nowhere near as effective as testing with a thousand. by the way, don't forget the legacy branch, which is Luma3DS w/o Rosalina that works on b9s 1.2. useful until all the major issues with Rosalina are sorted out.
- Pack other features in it to force it's usage (for example the locale support) while the "older" solution was functionnal and still usable, for now.
it was functional and usable but had issues; putting it into the rosalina module makes it easier to work with from a developer standpoint.
- Leaving the community because, for good reasons, ppl report bugs and problems while it was clearly possible to avoid them for the most part.
it was not even because people reported issues with Luma3DS/rosalina, it was other issues with gbatemp in general. I don't think you paid any attention here.

note that others like ReiNand are going to eventually drop arm9loaderhax as well because it sucks. so you will likely have to update at some point. trying to come up with more and more workaround to stay on an older setup is extra effort than it's worth.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I agree that B9S is far better.
You don't have to risking going back to ancient FW to install it like A9LH.
Rest risk of getting remove compare to menuhax.

I don't see the downside forcing people to move on.

Last edited by nechigawara,
Reactions: Ryumaru

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Trade your place a few second with 70% of the users who don't even know what a CFW is, most of them simply relied to someone to install CFW (A9LH entrypoint) and REALLY basic stuff like LumaUpdate et FreeShop. All thoses ppl don't even know there is a new entrypoint and simply don't CARE because their actual implementation work !!
I talked to some CFW user's friends with ZERO computer knowledge (we all know many) beside launching their internet browser and go to FB and other social stuff and, as I said, knowing they will gain NOTHING as end-users, they don't care about B9S and have no intention to even try to switch, no matter how "easy" we (more experimented users) think it is.

And as a side note FORCING ppl is always a very bad move and causes problems like Luma is actually facing. A good dev of a so called "noob friendly CFW" must always think of those "noobs" before doing so much changes and break things that was worked before !!

Like you agreed, keeping both A9HL and B9S would be possible, not forcing stuff inside Rosalia too. It would have been far more clever to keep the stable branch "noob-friendly" and let ppl with more knowledge using the nightly branch to test stuff, report bugs for some times and ONLY THEN, after bug fixing and giving time for most user to slowly upgrade to B9S (it will take some months, don't be fool), it would have been time to introduce new stuff and finally ditch A9HL.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Trade your place a few second with 70% of the users who don't even know what a CFW is, most of them simply relied to someone to install CFW (A9LH entrypoint) and REALLY basic stuff like LumaUpdate et FreeShop. All thoses ppl don't even know there is a new entrypoint and simply don't CARE because their actual implementation work !!
I talked to some CFW user's friends with ZERO computer knowledge (we all know many) beside launching their internet browser and go to FB and other social stuff and, as I said, knowing they will gain NOTHING as end-users, they don't care about B9S and have no intention to even try to switch, no matter how "easy" we (more experimented users) think it is.
Even my younger brother, who can't send an email, was able to update to B9S after I pulled up the instructions for him. Plailect's guide makes it ridiculously easy to upgrade to b9s.

And as a side note FORCING ppl is always a very bad move and causes problems like Luma is actually facing. A good dev of a so called "noob friendly CFW" must always think of those "noobs" before doing so much changes and break things that was worked before !!
Eh, I agree with forcing people being necessary here. With a9lh a hard stance was never really taken which resulted in way too many entrypoints each with their own quirks which made development way harder than it needed to be. By dropping support for all but one it makes development 10x easier which allows more time to work on actual features.

Like you agreed, keeping both A9HL and B9S would be possible, not forcing stuff inside Rosalia too. It would have been far more clever to keep the stable branch "noob-friendly" and let ppl with more knowledge using the nightly branch to test stuff, report bugs for some times and ONLY THEN, after bug fixing and giving time for most user to slowly upgrade to B9S (it will take some months, don't be fool), it would have been time to introduce new stuff and finally ditch A9HL.
I actually agree with you about Rosalina.

Reactions: Sev501

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't experienced any issues with Rosalina but admittedly haven't spent too much time with it, is it stable for normal use i.e.) are bugs only applicable when game patching/modding? If its stable for just simple play then i likely stay put.

Last edited by democracy,

Calcifer13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm planning to hardmod my N3DS soon. Should I install Luma 8.0 + Rosalina or the legacy build without Rosalina? I've heard that Rosalina is buggy right now, but others are saying it's fine. What do you guys think?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols