Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, I get the classic "Error has occurred, please shut down your system" error when trying to boot a gba game. I was able to boot into gba games a few weeks ago but there's an issue with it now, and I haven't exactly touched my 3ds much in those few weeks since. Anyone have any ideas? I'm running Luma 8.1 stable along with B9S 2.0
Do you have EmuNAND?
Guys I can't see HANS on Luma 8.1, just in Luma 7.1. Why?
HANS isn't meant for newer Luma versions, due to Rosalina.
HANS really isn't meant for CFW users, anyways.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Agent Moose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm reading through the thread and I see people still having a few problems here and there with Luma 8.1. I am still on Luma 7.x and wondering if I should upgrade or wait it out. Thoughts? (I've got an O3DS)

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
After many trials & errors, I have finally figured out how to fix the following: 1) Pokemon Sun & Moon (or other games) DO NOT LOAD and STUCK at the black screen then RESTARTS. 2) If you get "an exception occurred" with "ARM11 (core 1) prefetch abort (svcBreak)" message. I've seriously done almost EVERYTHING this forum suggested and none of them have worked... Almost BRICK my 3ds.
My Current CFW: Luma8.1 & Boot9strap 1.2

Solution: Once you downloaded the game and installed, launch the "freeShop" or "eShop" then search for the games that are giving you the ERRORS mentioned above. Make sure your internet is connected. Then just close out of the freeShop/eShop app, restart your 3DS or 2DS. Relaunch the game (example Pokemon Sun & Moon) and they should now work without any problem. Also, this method has fixed my "ARM11 (core 1) prefetch abort (svcBreak)" error games too.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have discovered something interesting regarding 9.2 compatibility. I was actually able to get Luma to not crash when loading a 9.2 EmuNAND. However, it only happens when ALL EmuNANDs on the card are minimum size. This of course breaks compatibility with both Cakes and ReiNAND, as neither can see minimum sized NANDs. Kind of strange though. Because it doesn't seem to matter if the actual EmuNAND is minimum sized or not. If anything that came before it was full sized, you're getting a crash. Then again, it's probably not being seen as minimum sized. Varying sizes are not supported. You can get away with making the last EmuNAND minimum only because the "NCSD" header is still in the right place (if it's in RedNAND format). Still, it's curious that a full sized 9.2 would crash, but nothing else does. Oh well, I've still got my copy of Puma on "Y" for launching 9.2, but, hopefully this will help with locating the bug. Not that I'd consider this a priority. They need to focus on fixing all those broken FPS conversions first.

After many trials & errors, I have finally figured out how to fix the following: 1) Pokemon Sun & Moon (or other games) DO NOT LOAD and STUCK at the black screen then RESTARTS. 2) If you get "an exception occurred" with "ARM11 (core 1) prefetch abort (svcBreak)" message. I've seriously done almost EVERYTHING this forum suggested and none of them have worked... Almost BRICK my 3ds.
My Current CFW: Luma8.1 & Boot9strap 1.2

Solution: Once you downloaded the game and installed, launch the "freeShop" or "eShop" then search for the games that are giving you the ERRORS mentioned above. Make sure your internet is connected. Then just close out of the freeShop/eShop app, restart your 3DS or 2DS. Relaunch the game (example Pokemon Sun & Moon) and they should now work without any problem. Also, this method has fixed my "ARM11 (core 1) prefetch abort (svcBreak)" error games too.

It's called seed encryption. It's not exactly new. And it has nothing to do with Luma or any other CFWs. There are several other ways around it. FBI can install the seed info for you. Usually it offers when you install the CIA, but you can just select the game from the "Titles" menu and choose the "Import Seed" option. You could also decrypt (and optionally re-encrypt if you care about eShop update compatibility) the .cia file using Decrypt9 or Godmode9 if you've got an up-to-date "seeddb.bin" on your card. Going to the eShop page will work, but be prepared to reinstall all of your DLC if you do that, because the eShop usually deletes it if you have an NNID. You might want to change your installation method if it's not installing seed data for you automatically. I've never had any such problems with CIAngel (and there's a .3dsx version, so you can run it without risking a ban, unlike Freeshop) or FBI.

Upgrade, I have yet to see an issue which isn't user error on 8.1.

Try running ctrQuake, Spectre3DS, ctrHexenII, eDuke3D, ctrWolfen, or 3DScraft from .3dsx then, because none of them work right. Fortunately, Ninjhax is already working with 11.5 (on N3DS anyway). Or try launching a 9.2 EmuNAND with a full-sized EmuNAND on the card. That's a guaranteed crash. Though for normal 3DS games I've not seen any issues (nor should I, with signature checks being one of the oldest patches in the CFW). I'll agree though. There's no reason not to try it, and especially no reason to be staying on an outdated exploit. They can always try Legacy if they have a problem. If that doesn't fix it, it's not Rosalina causing it.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to stop Rosalina to overclock on itself? Is getting very annoying as hell. When i start the system, its already with L+2 enabled and i have to disable it every time i boot the system. Same when i enter other games. It overclock itself at full n3ds power and i have to be disabling it to and even when is disabled and get out of the game, L+2 enables again. Like whats going on with this? Is there ways to remove this whole thing on my n3ds so i can just use the lumas option if i want to as usual?

Last edited by TheGuyMadeOfTofu,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Is there a way to stop Rosalina to overclock on itself? Is getting very annoying as hell. When i start the system, its already with L+2 enabled and i have to disable it every time i boot the system. Same when i enter other games. It overclock itself at full n3ds power and i have to be disabling it to and even when is disabled and get out of the game, L+2 enables again. Like whats going on with this? Is there ways to remove this whole thing on my n3ds so i can just use the lumas option if i want to as usual?
If you use the legacy version that gets rid of Rosalina. https://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France

The system starts at 804MHz on N3DS, that's how it always was, with or without Rosalina.

Also please stop using legacy builds. If a system update breaks something, only the master branch will be fixed.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The system starts at 804MHz on N3DS, that's how it always was, with or without Rosalina.

Also please stop using legacy builds. If a system update breaks something, only the master branch will be fixed.
Maybe make there be an option to turn off Rosalina then. At the moment using the legacy build is the only solution for when it causes problems. Maybe not in this situation. But a variety of others. The first troubleshooting step is always try the legacy build, just to see if the problem is Rosalina, before looking at other possible solutions to the problem.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Then that really leaves two options
1: Give the user the option to turn off Rosalina
2: Continue support for legacy build.
Rosalina has been causing a lot issues and users shouldn't be forced to use it.
Please, show me an issue with 8.1 that is solved by using the legacy branch and not user error.
Almost every single ARM11 issue that has been brought up on the forums.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Almost every single ARM11 issue that has been brought up on the forums.
What about random arm11 error screens that force a restart of the system?
All that is is changing the usual "A system error has occurred" message to be more verbose. It's not causing any new crashes. I have yet to see a single incident where one of these was fixed by legacy and not user error.

Maybe if these phantom issues were reported, rather than just having people shill for legacy, we'd see fixes being made.

Even if 8.1 caused some weird arm11 issues, the proper answer isn't "move to legacy," it's "report it." Legacy is inherently flawed and won't be updated, but 8.1 will be.

Last edited by astronautlevel,
Reactions: SaffronXL

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
All that is is changing the usual "A system error has occurred" message to be more verbose. It's not causing any new crashes. I have yet to see a single incident where one of these was fixed by legacy and not user error.

Maybe if these phantom issues were reported, rather than just having people shill for legacy, we'd see fixes being made.

Even if 8.1 caused some weird arm11 issues, the proper answer isn't "move to legacy," it's "report it." Legacy is inherently flawed and won't be updated, but 8.1 will be.
Do you find it useful for people to just report "I was playing such and such a game and it crashed"? Wouldn't your github issues page get a little crowded? If you want us to be reporting them sure, I'll tell everyone I see to upload their crash dump, make an account on github and make a new issue. I didn't think this was news to you guys though.
Oh and most of the time using the legacy build stops the crashes. It doesn't just change it to an anonymous crash instead of the arm11 screen, it stops it crashing completely. If it doesn't, then there's a different issue and we would keep helping the user get to the bottom of it. But most of the time we just say "try the legacy version" and they say "thanks guys that fixed it".

Last edited by Quantumcat,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

These are issues that I can't replicate on either ReiNAND nor my private CFW and issues that only started popping after Rosalina.
These are also issues that have been reported on the forums. Although I am not going to pretend like I know if they were reported on the Github. I actually don't follow the Luma3DS github as I don't use Luma3DS.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Do you find it useful for people to just report "I was playing such and such a game and it crashed"? Wouldn't your github issues page get a little crowded? If you want us to be reporting them sure, I'll tell everyone I see to upload their crash dump, make an account on github and make a new issue. I didn't think this was news to you guys though.
Every game crash I've seen has been fixed via region emulation, thus not a legitimate issue. If there was a arm11 crash on starting a game that wasn't solved by region emulation, then yes I'd want it reported.

That being said, github issues aren't troubleshooting forums.
These are issues that I can't replicate on either ReiNAND nor my private CFW and issues that only started popping after Rosalina.
These are also issues that have been reported on the forums. Although I am not going to pretend like I know if they were reported on the Github. I actually don't follow the Luma3DS github as I don't use Luma3DS.
Reporting on the forums is next to useless. No one who develops Luma3DS actively browses the forums, outside of maybe a few threads. Don't expect anything to be solved unless you make github issue reports.

Reactions: Lacius

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
If you use the legacy version that gets rid of Rosalina. https://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
No i mean my issue is with the n3ds option on rosalina. Not the whole thing itself. Makes things confusing as hell on what activates and not and the main problem is the L+2 thing.

Okay but what about the L+2 thing? Is that normal too? Also is it normal to always go full power on games that dont need the extra n3ds power? Because that gets switch on when i dont want it to run that way.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No i mean my issue is with the n3ds option on rosalina. Not the whole thing itself. Makes things confusing as hell on what activates and not and the main problem is the L+2 thing.

Okay but what about the L+2 thing? Is that normal too? Also is it normal to always go full power on games that dont need the extra n3ds power? Because that gets switch on when i dont want it to run that way.
Are you sure you turned that option off in the config? If you hold Select on boot is the option switched off?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the florida version of walter white
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also im gonna see if my previous dsi's sd card adapter still works
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    so i can finally mod my new one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, You do realise that just about any SD card formatted to FAT32 should work with the DSi. I think, 16GB or 32 is about enough to load all of your games.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, im using my sup m3's micro sd and it only has like 3.8 gb
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and yes its formatted
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psis pharmaceuticals could make John Goodman loose weight
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although i do still have my r4
    flashcard
  • SDA @ SDA:
    @Xdqwerty it's gone. Dead.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SDA, ok googled it and sad
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but how did they go bankrupt?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or rather, why?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm about to buy a $200 flash cart
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I have a 256GB card in my 3DS lol
    It's a New 3DS XL so it's still under warranty... If it ever breaks gonna make Nintendo fix it lol You said it was new.... For eternity!!!
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +1
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other...