Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no list but feel fre to start one, it's a good idea, here is the games I've tested with latest build of both "Stable" and Legacy from astronautlevel's repo :
- Ever oasis (EUR CIA) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland (JAP CIA with English patch) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Puzzle and Dragons; Mario Bros Edition (EUR CIA) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Dragon Quest VIII (EUR CIA with and without JAP voices Patch) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Zelda Majora's mask (EUR Cartridge) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Zelda Minish Cap (EUR CIA from eShop) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Final fantasy Vi Advance (Injected VC CIA) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Dragon Ball Extreme Budokai (EUR CIA) : Stable = not working - Legacy = working
- Cubic Ninja (EUR Cartridge) : Stable = working - Legacy = working
- Zelda Ocarina of Time (EUR Cartridge) : Stable = working - Legacy = working

Not a very good ratio isn't it ? I'm staying with legacy for now, I have very few play time (familly and job first) so i can't waste it with untested stuff, Legacy branch is a clean Luma (without Rosalia but I don't use homebrew much btw so i don't care) working as expected by a end-user like me, who want to first play games with his 3DS so it's ok, as long as legacy is aviable and until I found a game I can't play with it I have no intention to leave it.
Dude, stop being dumb and blaming Luma on issues caused by your setup. Also, I was an early proponent of enabling the "disable Arm11 exceptions" option, but now I realize that option saves me from having to stare at a stuck screen wondering if it crashed and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

I love Luma 8.1!
If you're having problems with it, its because your 3ds setup sucks. Fix it.

Last edited by SaffronXL, , Reason: Added some shade

gruven42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See the "Enable Game Patching" section: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage

Specifically, here are my instructions:

1. Update to the latest Luma3DS version
  2. Enable game patching in settings
  3. Download Luma Locale Switcher RVC
  4. Use it to set the locale to what you want. (For example, ever oasis is a EUR game - therefore, you need to set its locale to EUR <LANG, typically EN> for it to work on non EUR consoles)
Thanks! This helped a ton.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to get the Wii U gamecube controller adapter working with input redirection? I'm having no luck...

(xbox one controller works fine)

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, since Aurora left, @TuxSH I have a request for a new safety feature: EmuFIRM

OK, we know firmware 11.3 and higher checks our FIRM partitions at every boot, and tries to "repair" them if they're invalid. What if the next firmware update also phoned home with the results? It's anyone's guess what Nintendo's next move is, but why not head this one off at the pass? Here's what I'm thinking. Create something like an EmuNAND, but just for the FIRM partitions. But instead of loading it from SD, load it from an unused portion of NAND (it's only 8 MB after all, plus keeping it on NAND thwarts any potential detection via timing checks). As with EmuNAND, your actual FIRMs remain hidden. And Nintendo will be able to write to them, so there's no write errors to throw up a red flag. Everything else would still load from SysNAND as usual, so TWL and AGB should still work fine. Just a thought. You can't be too careful these days.

Also, Luma is crashing when I try to load my second EmuNAND. Specifically, it's a RedNAND running 9.2 with Menuhax installed. I think it's the Menuhax that is causing it to crash, since other NANDs that aren't 100% authentic, like that partial 11.4 update for GW, seem to have a similar issue based on what I've read. Not that it's a big deal. I've got Cakes launching it, and it's working fine. Still, it's hard to fix a bug when you don't know it exists, so, I thought it best to report it all the same. Hopefully you can find it and fix it. Sometimes Luma will crash randomly on a power up or reboot as well, giving a "launched from wrong location" error.

So far I've only found three homebrew apps that don't work with Rosalina. DSP Dump (if anyone has forgot to do that on any of their systems, get it done), ctrHexenII, and 3DSCraft. And I think my 3DScraft is from an old starter pack, so, I probably just need to download the newest version. Keep in mind that I pretty much only use HBL for what I call "NEOFPS" projects (New Engine for an Old FPS) anymore. So, it's not like my tests can be considered extensive or anything.

One last thing. The chainloader crashes when you run Cakes if it needs to decrypt firmware. If it's already been run once, and the firmware is already decrypted, it's fine. It doesn't seem to like "-e 0" A9LH .bin conversions either, but you were probably already aware of that one. If I failed to mention this before though, I love the new GUI option. Gives it the best of both worlds. Any chance you'd consider releasing the chainloader independently with a "default_" payload option? A boot manager that's tied to the OS is a bit too unconventional for me. GRUB doesn't delete itself if I switch my Linux distro.

Thanks again for all you (and Aurora) have done for the scene. Keep up the good work.

It's not that we hate it. It's that we have something way way way way way waaaaaay better. If you had a Mercedes from 2015 and a Fiat from 1984, would you still use the Fiat? I doubt it.

LOL. As if you could even tell the difference in a blind test. If I put GW carts in two units, loaded the same game on both using GW on one and Luma on the other, had you to play both for an hour, and then asked you which was which, you would not be able to tell me. Just because Luma's the best overall doesn't mean that other payloads can't do an equivalent job, or sometimes even a better one, for specific tasks. GW is not a downgrade if you're using it to play ROMs. It's even an upgrade if you're using it for the cheat engine. It's all all about what you want to do with the device. And "convert a large ROM collection to CIA" isn't on my list.

If you have a 64 GB card, why would you not throw GW on it? The amount of space it takes up is trivial. The reason we have chainloaders is so that there can be more than one. Sure, there's a lot of things GW doesn't do (IMHO, it still has a better post-launch menu, though). Who cares? I can switch payloads at the drop of a hat. Just like I can use a fork for my meat, then use a spoon for my soup. I can do everything you can, plus load ROMs and cheat at "Binding of Isaac" (good luck doing that with NTR -- the game changes it's address every time you play it). BTW, the title of the thread wasn't "Let's bash GW owners" the last time I checked.

A few questions tho... Upon further reading on some of the posts here, I managed to find out that there was a banwave due to titleids/game history being read by ninty.
(Luckily enough I was not affected, due to being away from my 3ds for a couple of months).

And now they've implemented Rosalina menu with the current luma cfw. So now I'm cleaning up my installed cias (HBL , FBI etc.)
Do we have a repository or thread for all of the new HBL Rosalina compatible apps (3dsx)?

Based on what I've read regarding Wireshark tests performed, Nintendo only logs what you run while online. So, it's overkill to delete all homebrew CIAs. Just make sure the wifi is off before you run them (you might want to give them their own folder). If you want to stop your system from phoning home (or try to), there's a list of domains here that you can block manually, or you can use the DNS servers listed here if that's easier for you. Not that I'd advise doing remote CIA installs in FBI (unless you like being the guinea pig). Also, set both Spotpass settings to off for insurance. Nintendo collects data anyway. But admitting it is grounds for a lawsuit. I have looked for a list of Rosalina-compatible homebrew titles, but I have not found any yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
I have looked for a list of Rosalina-compatible homebrew titles, but I have not found any yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Well, anything that has a .3dsx version available is Rosalina compatible... so you don't really need a list.

FBI, FTP, BootNTR(selector), JKSM all works
(for jksm you'll need to delete .xml file if you have any and either download "non cia" version or hold button combo on start to make it act as if it's cia "mode")

I can't think of anything that doesn't work at this point.

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK, we know firmware 11.3 and higher checks our FIRM partitions at every boot, and tries to "repair" them if they're invalid. What if the next firmware update also phoned home with the results?
It doesn't repair anything, it uses the backup partition.

And they can't collect nor send "results" about that, it's absolutely technically infeasible for them to do that.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't repair anything, it uses the backup partition.

And they can't collect nor send "results" about that, it's absolutely technically infeasible for them to do that.

OK. It just seemed like it would be an easy target if they could read it. Thanks for alleviating my concerns, and I appreciate the quick reply.

Well, anything that has a .3dsx version available is Rosalina compatible... so you don't really need a list.

FBI, FTP, BootNTR(selector), JKSM all works
(for jksm you'll need to delete .xml file if you have any and either download "non cia" version or hold button combo on start to make it act as if it's cia "mode")

I can't think of anything that doesn't work at this point.

Try ctrHexenII because that is crashing on me (I know, that's a hard one to get the files for with Win9xO not out yet, had to go digging until I found my original CD myself). So is DSP Dump. Fortunately, most of us probably already have one by now, but I figured I'd try it just to see. Also, while 3DSCraft plays, the graphics are completely glitched (little blue triangles all over the place). Maybe I just need to delete the data files and start fresh. It might not do it if the world is created while running under Rosalina.

I'm surprised nothing needed a rewrite. Then again, FBI never provided it's own escalation now that I think about it. You always had to use MiniPasta unless the CIA was legit. I'm not even looking to run JKSM in 3DSX format. FBI, yes, because I love SocketPunch. But I can just turn wifi off when I backup/restore my saves. Actually, I've always used SDF. I tend to prefer dev tools. They're tested, reliable, and compatible. And, as luck would have it, safer (they're valid titles). It takes me a while to warm up to a homebrew replacement, because I still remember that time Xiso made me some lovely coasters. But I'm considering uploading some of my saves, and I don't want people to be like "wtf is this?" or anything.

EDIT: Looks like Spectre3DS also isn't working right with Rosalina. I know it's kind of in a preliminary state compared to ctrQuake, but, it does have music support... AND STEREOSCOPY. I thought someone said that wasn't possible with the Quake engine. Looks like elhobbs proved them wrong.

EDIT2: Well, it doesn't look like the EDuke3D port works with Rosalina either. Also, apparently 8.1 has broken ctrQuake. That is, v3-v8 don't work anyway (v2 does, but, that's sacrificing a lot of features to say the least). I can't say if v8 works with 8.0 because I had an older version installed at the time, but it was newer than v2, because it had the current virtual keyboard layout.

EDIT3: ctrWolfen is also exiting when you pick your game now. This was working before. I'm just now noticing because I don't play it that much. Inaccurate sound drives me nuts (actually, almost any inaccuracy drives me nuts, which is why I collect retro flash carts instead of running emulators).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
T-sm8ub9Ska_luA_yC0oTg.png
Can you replicate the results?
What was the game?
seems it only happens in vc games when you take a screen shot with luma

Last edited by SoslanVanWieren,

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, I get the classic "Error has occurred, please shut down your system" error when trying to boot a gba game. I was able to boot into gba games a few weeks ago but there's an issue with it now, and I haven't exactly touched my 3ds much in those few weeks since. Anyone have any ideas? I'm running Luma 8.1 stable along with B9S 2.0

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just realized that the n3ds settings on Rosaline acts on their own. Like i cant keep its clocks or L-2 on low and disabled. Have to be disabling every time i boot and when i jump on a game it goes full force instead on staying on the systems original settings

Last edited by TheGuyMadeOfTofu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh