Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Every game crash I've seen has been fixed via region emulation, thus not a legitimate issue. If there was a arm11 crash on starting a game that wasn't solved by region emulation, then yes I'd want it reported.

That being said, github issues aren't troubleshooting forums.

Reporting on the forums is next to useless. No one who develops Luma3DS actively browses the forums, outside of maybe a few threads. Don't expect anything to be solved unless you make github issue reports.
That's honestly pretty shabby attitude towards the community. But I guess I will just forward everyone to the github to report their issues ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
... and it's not user error.

Again, make sure they've enabled region and locale emulation and have properly set everything up.
Wouldn't it be a Luma problem though if with no Rosalina the emulation wasn't required for a crash-free existence and with Rosalina it is required?

Reactions: The Catboy

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be a Luma problem though if with no Rosalina the emulation want required for a crash-free existence and with Rosalina it is required?
No.
That's honestly pretty shabby attitude towards the community. But I guess I will just forward everyone to the github to report their issues ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They're all active on Nintendo Homebrew discord (which is more helpful than this forum 9 times out of 10), but GBATemp 3ds section is such a mess and the community is toxic enough none of them want to be here, and I can't say I blame them.

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure you turned that option off in the config? If you hold Select on boot is the option switched off?
Of course. The n3ds option is always off unless i need the extra horse power for games like DQ7. But other than that is 99% of the time off. I want to run the rosalina just because i can see how much battery i have left, otherwise i would leave it in the dumps. The issue is very persistent when enabling that L+2 thing. It was normal for me to just use the luma settings to use clock and whatever but with rosalina it has me on edge since i can see how things are that i never knew was working that way. Just want this like on my o3ds where i dont need to deal with that n3ds option on rosalina and just on luma menu.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Of course. The n3ds option is always off unless i need the extra horse power for games like DQ7. But other than that is 99% of the time off. I want to run the rosalina just because i can see how much battery i have left, otherwise i would leave it in the dumps. The issue is very persistent when enabling that L+2 thing. It was normal for me to just use the luma settings to use clock and whatever but with rosalina it has me on edge since i can see how things are that i never knew was working that way. Just want this like on my o3ds where i dont need to deal with that n3ds option on rosalina and just on luma menu.
Did you save your Rosalina configuration after disabling 804 MHz and L2 cache?

Reactions: otakusensei

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you save your Rosalina configuration after disabling 804 MHz and L2 cache?
Literelly the first thing i did and thought it would work. But it doesnt. Just saves whatever change i do with keycombo.

To clarify. Just want my n3ds to behave like it does on legacy or normal 3ds. Using its power when the game requires it like MH games and such and use the regular o3ds power on normal games unless i enable the option on luma.

Last edited by TheGuyMadeOfTofu,
Reactions: astronautlevel

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then that really leaves two options
1: Give the user the option to turn off Rosalina
2: Continue support for legacy build.
Rosalina has been causing a lot issues and users shouldn't be forced to use it.
Neither will be implemented.

Almost every single ARM11 issue that has been brought up on the forums.

Aside MicroSD management bugs which are to blame to Nintendo, and there's "disable exception vectors" for that, all the rest is user error

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Either way at the end of the day:

1. Having to maintain 2 codebases cuts away from actual development time that could be spent making improvements
  2. We haven't seen any legitimate issues with 8.1 that are solved by legacy
  3. If there are any of these issues, they haven't been reported and we can't fix them. We're not superhuman, we can't test every single game on our own.
Aurora plans to deprecate legacy with the 8.1.1 release, and fully delete it after a grace period if there are no issues with 8.1.1 that legacy doesn't have. When this happens, I will also be deleting all of the legacy builds from my site. If you actually have issues with the newest version that don't happen in legacy, you need to report it before support is fully dropped.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Literelly the first thing i did and thought it would work. But it doesnt. Just saves whatever change i do with keycombo.

To clarify. Just want my n3ds to behave like it does on legacy or normal 3ds. Using its power when the game requires it like MH games and such and use the regular o3ds power on normal games unless i enable the option on luma.
The 3ds automatically determines whether the game is n3ds enhanced and applies the default game settings - Luma has only ever overridden non-n3ds enhanced titles. Home menu is an n3ds enhanced title, and as such it runs at 804 MHz by default.

This was the same behavior as on legacy luma, you just couldn't check the clock speed after boot

Last edited by astronautlevel,

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aurora plans to deprecate legacy with the 8.1.1 release, and fully delete it after a grace period if there are no issues with 8.1.1 that legacy doesn't have. When this happens, I will also be deleting all of the legacy builds from my site. If you actually have issues with the newest version that don't happen in legacy, you need to report it before support is fully dropped.
YES!!! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!!! FINALLY we'll be able to REALLY fix Rosalina without that mutant version holding development back!
:grog:

Reactions: astronautlevel

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
YES!!! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!!! FINALLY we'll be able to REALLY fix Rosalina without that mutant version holding development back!
:grog:
They are denying Rosalina has any problems though. So I doubt anything will be fixed. Nothing to celebrate here.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by The Catboy,

Deleted member 412537

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be disappointed that Rosalina wouldn't run mame 2000 as a 3dsx file. (Secretly addicted to an old namco game called Toy Pop.) The same with Pico drive. Now I'm gonna just suck it up and use the cia versions.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or the devs could actually look at the forums instead of pretending the problems don't exist.
Either way, I will leave Luma3DS be. I don't use it anyways
it's not that the issues don't exist. it's either they don't want to go through several pages of posts to find issues (issue tracker makes this easier for everyone! please use it!), or they are not issues with luma/rosalina (an issue in the user's setup).

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
it's not that the issues don't exist. it's either they don't want to go through several pages of posts to find issues (issue tracker makes this easier for everyone! please use it!), or they are not issues with luma/rosalina (an issue in the user's setup).
Expect it's issues that I have yet to replicate on any other CFW. I can't accomplish the same ARM11 crashes that have become extremely common since Rosalina was introduced.
Then this would be a good time for someone from the Luma3DS team to actually go to these threads and suggest making bug trackers. The Luma3DS team is the one choosing the avoid the community.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Here are three threads in the last month where using the legacy version fixed the issue. Maybe have a look, Tux & co.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds-an-exception-occurred-brick-3ds-unusable.478298/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm11-core-1-error-when-i-try-to-launch-mighty-gunvolt-burst.477359/ (went from black screen to 3DS loading screen after using legacy because he didn't have the seed)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/data-abort.477517/

There are others where we suggested they try it but they never got back to us as to whether it worked. That's probably a sign that it worked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...