• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,
D

Deleted User

I don't need backups since i do basically nothing on my PC. Just play games.
If something breaks or gets infected, I have spare Linux Live CD so i can fix my shit.
MBAM = Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It destroys everything, even AVs.
Well you can't really fix all your files being encrypted with a linux live CD, not that I know of.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said before i have an old version of win 7 that works perfectly with everything turned off. Just use restore points when installing things you're not sure about.

D

Deleted User

Well you can't really fix all your files being encrypted with a linux live CD, not that I know of.
I never managed to get myself encrypted in first place.
But i only have restore points for my VMs where i test everything, even malware packs so..

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways these stories are always the same some big virus is "reported" they tell everyone to update to be safe. I do nothing to my system that has 0 antivirus not even windows defender turned on and absolutely nothing happens.
They just want people to update for the same reason nintendo wants you to update, "stability" lol

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Literally spent hours installing the Creator's Update and thank god I did update. Update your stuff people.
Does anyone use MBAM premium or just the free version?
Free version with Windows Defender. Pretty nice combo

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anyways these stories are always the same some big virus is "reported" they tell everyone to update to be safe. I do nothing to my system that has 0 antivirus not even windows defender turned on and absolutely nothing happens.
They just want people to update for the same reason nintendo wants you to update, "stability" lol
You may regret not updating and having your anti-virus disabled

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

sam hyde.gif

"It hasn't happened to me so it won't happen to anybody else"

Pretty stupid comment mate

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 86766
"It hasn't happened to me so it won't happen to anybody else"

Pretty stupid comment mate
except that the comment is yours as you're incorrectly paraphrasing what i said.
I'll paraphrase it for you properly.

"if you don't install things you're not sure about or when you do you make sure to use restore points then you will be fine."
mate.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
except that the comment is yours as you're incorrectly paraphrasing what i said.
I'll paraphrase it for you properly.

"if you don't install things you're not sure about or when you do you make sure to use restore points then you will be fine."
mate.
Read my above comment. You don't have to download anything to be affected by this as it uses remote code execution 0days. Not properly patching your system is just incredibly ignorant.

Yokimari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the U.K. it's because they're still using XP and can't afford that free win10 upgrade

Edit: The hospital my mom works at was affected and she saw it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's funny, considering XP Machines were patched against the vulnerability. More likely they didn't feel like keeping the machines patched.

another reason to blame my government for creating the Malware that got leaked

Pretty much, this is a weaponized worm based off of the leaked NSA Hack tools.

Last edited by Yokimari,

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read my above comment. You don't have to download anything to be affected by this as it uses remote code execution 0days. Not properly patching your system is just incredibly ignorant.
yes i know, it's always some spooky story of this ingenious virus. I've heard it many times before.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
yes i know, it's always some spooky story of this ingenious virus. I've heard it many times before.
Except it's obviously not some overly exaggerated, "spooky" story. Whatever. Some people still believe that the world is flat, so you're not that surprising. Anyway, I have the exploits this uses if you want to check out their severity. Thanks US government.

Last edited by Joom,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Very accurate.