• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's something i still don't understand about this community. I do not game on pc and i think i never will, but if yourself admited that the selection of games available for linux is quite small, then windows users have a point stating that they want the most games possible without lossing compatibility or perfomance...
Yes, if it is games what care for (specially new ones), stay on WINDOWS!
I still have problems making Momodoras run well on my computer, that is OSX anyway.
I can understand that thinking, but I don't use computers mainly for gaming.
If the kind of software you are worried to lose compatibility for are games, it is understandable to stay on Windows.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So you're denying your own quote, much like FAKE NEWS sites.
No, you are misinterpreting my writing.
I can understand that because from the start, my writing is lacklustre.
So, to clarify.
Of course it runs natively, and though the selection of games is smaller in comparison, they all run quite well. But I think it is a lost cause and wasted effort to try to let them realize.
What for anyway?
They want to believe everything runs on wine, let them, they want to believe it's even necessary to run a VM, let them believe. Fighting stubbornness is headache inducing, and at the end, whatever floats each ones boats, I couldn't care less myself.
I meant they believe everything is run on wine, not natively.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love the smugness of the Linux community leaking in this thread.

We get it, you get off by using an open source OS and Windows is corporate evil and also full of viruses. There's also the little fact that Linux is used on roughly 2% of PCs worldwide and no hacker in their right minds is going to waste time and resources to pull an exploit to steal from 2% of the PCs worldwide. And if it were the case, I'm sure that non-paid professionals would fight in huge queues to fix those exploits first. Oh yes, we see it all the time with Android and Google's numerous updates that never leave any phone behind! And Google is corporate evil, imagine if the job was left to a bunch of amateurs who treat it as hobby and get pissed off at the community whenever they ask for an update.

Be thankful of the fact that 98% of PC users doesn't use the platform and allows you to be safe, and shut the hell up.
Boy you sure are in the dark. There's plenty of malware for Linux. How do you think Android gets rooted?

Also, to all of you going "lol no gaems 4 mac n loonix".
getdiy.png

>57 games.

There's a shit ton more on the store as well.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Boy you sure are in the dark. There's plenty of malware for Linux. How do you think Android gets rooted?

Also, to all of you going "lol no gaems 4 mac n loonix".
getdiy.png

>57 games.

There's a shit ton more on the store as well.

Well, if we're counting an endless supply of awful indie games in with the small handful of big titles... Yeah.

For what it is? Linux is a fantastic OS. It's open, secure, and easy to learn. Still, it comes down to choice. This elitism bullshit needs to stop.

Stop liking what I don't! Argh!

Last edited by Kioku,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if it is games what care for (specially new ones), stay on WINDOWS!
I still have problems making Momodoras run well on my computer, that is OSX anyway.
I can understand that thinking, but I don't use computers mainly for gaming.
If the kind of software you are worried to lose compatibility for are games, it is understandable to stay on Windows.
Then that's it. I guess most of people here prefer to game on their computers, so windows is perfect for that, but i don't get why linux users still throw shit at them... almost one or two threads per week there are linux people shitting on windows, just like this thread.

I mean, if you guys want to stop the hate on linux, just stop recomending it to people that dont need it. It's the same with consoles, that's why console wars still haven't ended.

Reactions: Deleted User

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant they believe everything is run on wine, not natively.
Okay, that makes more sense.

For what it's worth, Wine doesn't emulate the CPU to begin with, so technically, programs running through Wine are running "natively" to begin with. They just use a different set of libraries instead of GTK+, Qt, X11, etc.
I mean, if you guys want to stop the hate on linux, just stop recomending it to people that dont need it. It's the same with consoles, that's why console wars still haven't ended.
Then stop crying to us Linux users whenever you get hacked by malware like the one described in this thread. It's happened numerous times to me: I suggest someone uses Linux, they throw a temper tantrum, and after a few months, come crawling back because they got hacked and need help.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, if we're counting an endless supply of awful indie games in with the small handful of big titles... Yeah.
Oh, those actually come for Windows also.
Actually, if it was a specific shovelware indie game you looked for, probably you would also need to stick to a Windows machine.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that makes more sense.

For what it's worth, Wine doesn't emulate the CPU to begin with, so technically, programs running through Wine are running "natively" to begin with. They just use a different set of libraries instead of GTK+, Qt, X11, etc.

Then stop crying to us Linux users whenever you get hacked by malware like the one described in this thread. It's happened numerous times to me: I suggest someone uses Linux, they throw a temper tantrum, and after a few months, come crawling back because they got hacked and need help.
Sorry not sorry, i hardly use a computer nowdays, i do everything i need on my phone, so...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
While we're on the subject of something different. Solus.. Opinions?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tell Windows users to stop bashing me for merely using Linux on my laptop, then I'll consider not laughing at Windows users whenever they get infected by malware. Fair trade.

Makes perfect sense.. "He started it"

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd never imagine that I would see people bringing politics into a discussion thread regarding ransomware. That's GBAtemp for you folks.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
tl;dr some Windows "experts" who think they're safe even without updating because they don't open "sketchy" programs, even though this ransomware spreads using an SMBv1 exploit, which requires no user intervention. It's similar to MSBLAST and Sasser from the early 2000s in that regard, though with Windows Vista and later it's possible to disable SMBv1 as a workaround.

I'm always amused when a Windows "expert" shows that they know absolutely nothing about their own OS, like when they claim Windows 3.1 was the "first" Windows or something equally silly.

Well the good thing is that most business computers here are programmed specifically to do a single task (which is why many have either 98 or 00) Therefore you can't even open a program. Its endlessly using a single one, from what i've seen.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've seen several people mention "fake news."
I don't think that is politics, but just a disbelief in news media and their tendency to overblow everything out of proportions to get views.

It is true that the phrase is somewhat linked to politics.
But I think the distrust in todays news media is universal, no matter if your are in the left, right, center, up or down or whatever, it is not related to politics.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the good thing is that most business computers here are programmed specifically to do a single task (which is why many have either 98 or 00) Therefore you can't even open a program. Its endlessly using a single one, from what i've seen.
The problem is you don't need to be running any specific program for this vulnerability to work. All that's needed is a network connection and the file sharing service (which is enabled by default).

Not sure about 9x, but 2000 is probably vulnerable, and it's *way* out of support.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, this virus made me a bit paranoid, so I made sure my laptop was updated. Sadly my PC's windows update is broken, and my brother always adds PUP programs to his PC down stairs. :(

Yesterday when I went to this place for my medical card. The lady at the desk was taking forever to bring up my documents to make sure I sent them in, which I did, and she was bitching about the computers being down, or taking forever to bring up. She said "fuck it!" and just interviewed me. I guess they were hit too. Also, I think she had a bit of a crush on me, just judging by how she spoke to me, it was amusing. :P

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The problem is you don't need to be running any specific program for this vulnerability to work. All that's needed is a network connection and the file sharing service (which is enabled by default).

Not sure about 9x, but 2000 is probably vulnerable, and it's *way* out of support.

Then the reason Mexico is safe for now is probably since the computers only ever need to run one thing at best,so unless an LBM is running a cashier program that specifically uses the internet (not yet, we're not exactly first world.) and you bring an infested laptop there, the computer is safe.

Reactions: GerbilSoft

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Alright so serious question. I would assume that I am safe, considering my Windows 10 has been updated to latest version a few days ago? I checked last night and it said i was already up to date :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8