Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The partial hack is a bad idea:
-- Any developer who uses it is using it in the knowledge that his homebrew can be made obsolete at any time by the release of a full hack. Furthermore, the more his homebrew succeeds, the greater the chances the full hack will be released, which means anyone successful is more likely to obsolete themselves.
-- Releasing a partial hack may be enough to induce Nintendo to sue in the hopes that they can prevent the full hack from being released. If the cat's already out of the bag, Nintendo has less incentive to sue because the suit won't stop anything.
-- A partial hack is the homebrew equivalent of all those not-full-system development tools mentioned way back in post #34 (to which you can also add PS3 Linux before it was removed).
-- Would it be easier to improve a Wii application by porting it to one core running faster or porting it to 3 cores running at Wii speed? My uneducated guess is that the former is easier, which means that the barrier to getting something useful from the partial hack is greater than for getting something useful from a full hack.
So what can you do to get something with the exploit released? Everyone on here had ideas, but no skills that they speak of (not insulting anyone or intending to).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what can you do to get something with the exploit released? Everyone on here had ideas, but no skills that they speak of (not insulting anyone or intending to).

I wish there was something I could do that would still help them in some way, like a fundraiser perhaps? Beta testing?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish there was something I could do that would still help them in some way, like a fundraiser perhaps? Beta testing?
It was only tonight but I am curious to know who is taking this up. MAYBE an idea is to start then ask if help needed. People may know parts. I think Marcan mentioned helping if messaged regarding work for this. Not to misquote him but I believe that was in his blog post.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was only tonight but I am curious to know who is taking this up. MAYBE an idea is to start then ask if help needed. People may know parts. I think Marcan mentioned helping if messaged regarding work for this. Not to misquote him but I believe that was in his blog post.

That sounds right to me.

"One final note: on the Espresso, the exclusive load and store instructions (lwarx and stwcx) are subtly broken and need a workaround. If you are seriously interested in this, and you have started working on it, ping me on IRC and I’ll let you know about the specific workaround that is required (I’m just too lazy to write it all out right now) and also gladly answer any other questions."

As he said in the last paragraph, so at this point, it's just a matter of people stepping forward. I believe we can pull this off, especially if there are people who can do odd and ends and bring them together.

So if I'm skimming correctly are people complaining about A) someone not liking the Wii U for legitimate reasons, B) a hacker/open source enthusiast thinking open source platforms are the future, or C) both?

God this site is just stuff

All the above;)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pull som
So if I'm skimming correctly are people complaining about A) someone not liking the Wii U for legitimate reasons, B) a hacker/open source enthusiast thinking open source platforms are the future, or C) both?

Pull some influence, put some hard core people on this, tell them they do it or get banned, then banned other places, SHAMED even, lmfao. Joking. MAYBE the gang of 31 made some progress and MAY share that now if we ask nicely?

Edit: Watched "Ted" night before last. Hilarious. I picture somebody coming in like Flash Gordon, lmfao, "Flash....flash!!! Savior of the universe." Sorry, could not resist.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pull som

Pull some influence, put some hard core people on this, tell them they do it or get banned, then banned other places, SHAMED even, lmfao. Joking. MAYBE the gang of 31 made some progress and MAY share that now if we ask nicely?

Edit: Watched "Ted" night before last. Hilarious. I picture somebody coming in like Flash Gordon, lmfao, "Flash....flash!!! Savior of the universe." Sorry, could not resist.

I guess at this point, only time will tell.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok soo is he saying that console hacking is dead because it requires too much effort and does not yield enough results? Does that mean this is the end for home-brew in general?
This is just talking about them. Other people could come along and do the crap themselves if they wanted. So far though, nobody has.

Fact is he doesn't know shit about what will happen if they would release the hack they presumably have for WiiU.
It's all speculation.
They did it for the PS3, and they saw it happen for the 360.
So it's repeating history based on experience, not speculation.

Like, if I were to tell you that dropping a 100 pound ball on your head would kill you, it wouldn't be right of you to dismiss my advice as 'speculation'. :P

Man, we seem to have quite the bad rep among hackers :/
Just read this thread to see how many people went and insulted marcan even after he clarified why he didn't want to release his work. Not to mention all the "I don't like this person's opinion therefore he thinks he's god because he's keeping his opinion anyways because if he was human he would change his opinion to match mine".

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just talking about them. Other people could come along and do the crap themselves if they wanted. So far though, nobody has.

They did it for the PS3, and they saw it happen for the 360.
So it's repeating history based on experience, not speculation.

Like, if I were to tell you that dropping a 100 pound ball on your head would kill you, it wouldn't be right of you to dismiss my advice as 'speculation'. :P

Just read this thread to see how many people went and insulted marcan even after he clarified why he didn't want to release his work. Not to mention all the "I don't like this person's opinion therefore he thinks he's god because he's keeping his opinion anyways because if he was human he would change his opinion to match mine".

Yeah, there was some....unpleasantness granted, but, uh, let's leave the past in the past, shall we?;) I want to forget what happened there. I don't want to relive that.

I say we move on.

Drunk_caterpillar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ever since I started playing my Wii again in mid-2012 I've been blown away by how Homebrew has changed my experience with that console. There's nothing wrong with the base software per se, but between UBS Loader GX and Devolution the hardware is miles ahead of what it was on release day. I really cannot thank dedicated devs like @Cyan and @tueidj enough; my games load faster and look better, all while preserving the original discs and re-integrating features lost in the transition to new hardware. As a collector and an enthusiast I cannot describe how amazing these projects have been.

Which is why I am so profoundly bummed right now--not only by what Marcan is saying but also because this thread is unquestionably re-enforcing his choice to not continue developing solutions for modifying the Wii U. I really wish I could tell these guys how they've made legitimate users consoles better through their work. I just purchased a ZombiU Wii U bundle last week, and while I've been having fun I've also kept thinking "I wish I had the same level of control over my Wii U that I had with my Wii." Not only because I would love to install the game to my HDD, but because I felt so much more interested in gaming when I was able to shape the way I used my console. It's just a better experience and I am exceptionally grateful to these developers for giving it to me and literally asking nothing in return.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What bugs me is:
If Marcan doesn't have interest in hacking home consoles anymore, why bother to clarify and speculate what will happen in the future.
It seems he's living in the past and future, while "normal people live in the here and now.

Results from the past aren't guaranteed for the future.
Everybody knows that. Therefore he's speculating on what will happen or what the homebrew devs will develop.
Putting end users/ homebrewdevs/pirates in the same corner.
Not really fair and smells like "god"syndrom.
To put matter in contrast, look what homebrew did to Wii.

Thank you Rydian for posting this, it's a lot more clear now.
We probably wont get any homebrew because marcan doesn't think it's interesting enough.
And it doesn't contribute to the scene enough.
Fair enough.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What bugs me is:
If Marcan doesn't have interest in hacking home consoles anymore, why bother to clarify and speculate what will happen in the future.
It seems he's living in the past and future, while "normal people live in the here and now.

Results from the past aren't guaranteed for the future.
Everybody knows that. Therefore he's speculating on what will happen or what the homebrew devs will develop.
Putting end users/ homebrewdevs/pirates in the same corner.
Not really fair and smells like "god"syndrom.
To put matter in contrast, look what homebrew did to Wii.

Thank you Rydian for posting this, it's a lot more clear now.
We probably wont get any homebrew because marcan doesn't think it's interesting enough.
And it doesn't contribute to the scene enough.
Fair enough.

Did you even read that blog post? There's still a chance.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/fail0verflow-updated-with-alot-of-new-info.347500/
Ever since I started playing my Wii again in mid-2012 I've been blown away by how Homebrew has changed my experience with that console. There's nothing wrong with the base software per se, but between UBS Loader GX and Devolution the hardware is miles ahead of what it was on release day. I really cannot thank dedicated devs like @Cyan and @tueidj enough; my games load faster and look better, all while preserving the original discs and re-integrating features lost in the transition to new hardware. As a collector and an enthusiast I cannot describe how amazing these projects have been.

Which is why I am so profoundly bummed right now--not only by what Marcan is saying but also because this thread is unquestionably re-enforcing his choice to not continue developing solutions for modifying the Wii U. I really wish I could tell these guys how they've made legitimate users consoles better through their work. I just purchased a ZombiU Wii U bundle last week, and while I've been having fun I've also kept thinking "I wish I had the same level of control over my Wii U that I had with my Wii." Not only because I would love to install the game to my HDD, but because I felt so much more interested in gaming when I was able to shape the way I used my console. It's just a better experience and I am exceptionally grateful to these developers for giving it to me and literally asking nothing in return.
http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.htm

Did anyone read that blog post?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What bugs me is:
Because of people who won't shut the fuck up about it and keep posting speculation and rumors.

See: the majority of posts in thread.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of people who won't shut the fuck up about it and keep posting speculation and rumors.

See: the majority of posts in thread.

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.htm

'Nuff said. People need to let the animosity go. I'm taking his post with a grain of salt, nevertheless, it's still more hope than many assumed; this misinformation needs to stop. We need to learn from the past, but dwelling on it is a detriment. If you want me to elaborate, a PM might be best so I don't derail the thread....I mean again:creep:

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Hey least you get material for shitGBAtempsays

I was thinking about that also ... but releasing something like that, wouldn't be enough of a gap for other people to use this new know-how/code to create some ways to pirate?
Maybe even a small hack window would be enough for starting a hacking/pirating spree ....what this guys may not want..

Yeah but it is another side of the argument that isn't being tackled. From how I see it there are 5 ways it can be talked about, homebrew, piracy, imports, improving the system, and hacks. The main goal is to curve piracy because that is the most likely outcome of homebrew, but homebrew is the only good aspect being talked about. Seems kinda like tunnel vision to me, when we have 3 other aspects sitting their that are actually really cool things! Hey though no one cares about em I guess.

Reactions: Walker D and Rydian

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And D), "baww the lazy incompetent morons are making up excuses and rationalizations for their pitiful failure to hack the Wii U" (although that one may have been removed by the staff. You know the one.)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I say we take off and nuke the entire site thread from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." - Full Metal Jacket
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    We actually said that in Boot Camp, waaay before the movie :mellow:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta raid0 these m.2s yay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn Wal-Mart has 42" 4k TVs for only $150
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i bet it will not fit inside your bedroom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea here in North Korea, we are only allowed 1 19" tv per household. And the only channel we get is, MLT (Missile Launch Today)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, doesn't fit in his bedroom he's American
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hate ordering stuff online if I can go buy it somewhere close to me, and everywhere anymore will give you a discount only if you order it online, bs. Should be a discount if I go pick it up, not order online.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love it for most things most stores you just shows the receipt online and they scan it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mostly for big purchases, I want it in my hands before I pay. Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc) But yea if I can order online, then pickup at store is ok, but not all places offer that.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    > Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc)

Thing is, if you break it driving back to your house, it's your fault. But if the delivery driver damages it, it's not your fault.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most people that haul big tvs have empty trucks or know enough not to set it face down
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then I gotta send it back and wait another week or two. I have a pickup truck, with a extended cab, so no prob for me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most manufacturers pack it well enough where they aren't that dumb to let it happen
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They building a new Microcenter store near by me, is kinda scary. That's my favorite place, I'm like a kid in a candy store there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what's a microcenter?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool I'll make you ship me stuff
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microcenter sells high quality microwaves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Computer store basically, but they sell everything, like game systems, tvs , 3d printers, etc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've seen i9/mobo deals for like 400
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've seen i9/mobo deals for like 400