Mario Kart 8: Deluxe surpasses Mario Kart Wii as fastest selling game in the series

Switch_MarioKart8Deluxe.jpg

Nintendo has revealed the launch day numbers for Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, which shows the game to be the fastest selling in the series, pushing over 459,000 copies on April 28th alone, reflecting both physical and digital sales, and surpassing Mario Kart Wii's (433,000 launch copies sold) previous record. Nintendo also claims that 45% of Switch owners purchased the game on launch. Nintendo Switch sales are also mentioned in the press release, and at the time of writing, 2.7 million systems have been sold worldwide.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has also received more perfect review scores than any other Mario Kart game ever. With a current Metacritic score of 93, the critically acclaimed title is the highest-rated game in the series in 15 years – tying the overall review score of Mario Kart: Super Circuit for Game Boy Advance.

To continue this strong momentum into the summer, a series of great games will launch for Nintendo Switch over the next few months, including Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (May 11), Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (May 26), ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21).

EDIT: Mario Kart 8: Deluxe made it's way to #1 on the UK charts as well, becoming the first number 1 physical released Nintendo game to reach that peak since 2011's Pokemon White. Breath of the Wild itself didn't even reach #1, staying a place behind to Sony's Horizon Zero Dawn.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Press Inbox

Last edited by Chary,

Hurtz007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I wasn't one of those launch day grabbers... I love Mario kart... But my paycheck said "NOPE BILLS FIRST!!!"

Reactions: WhiteMaze
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
On launch day, a buddy and I split a pair of joycons and played this game for hours. It's really, really good! I owned Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, but the newly revamped battle mode is all the goodness of the old battle modes on the Wii and DS Mario Karts, but (dare I say it?) even better! I also got to play the DLC maps that I didn't buy on the Wii U, those were pretty rad. Overall, I'd say this is the best MarioKart game of all time. Now now, my best Mario Kart memories were in my elementary school days w/ the Mario Kart Wii but really, Mario Kart 8 is just so feature-packed with 48 very well-made tracks (the most in any Mario Kart to date), an awesome battle mode, and all the other bells and whistles that Mario Kart 8 brought to the table before. It's the penultimate Mario Kart and really something special. If you're buying a Switch and have not played Mario Kart 8, this is a must-have! Games like these are what Nintendo consoles are designed for, so go on! Give it a spin!

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand. Why is this such a surprise? A super huge game on a super trendy console sounds like a huge hit no matter what. Or am I missing something that would suggest otherwise?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait until Smash Bros "Deluxe" comes out, "Fastest selling fighting game of all time," things like that.
Nah, SSB had a lower attach rate than MK8 on wii u, it would definitely help sales though. What we should really expect is a Pokemon game, switch will easily surpass XBONE without a sweat.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OH. :blink:

F************************************

(How am i supposed to get discount when it selling so well, stop buying it people. :ninja: )

If you're that much in need of a discount just wait for the Nintendo Selects Edition (or Player's Choice or Happy Price Selection or <InsertNewNameNintendoWillUseHere>) :P

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're that much in need of a discount just wait for the Nintendo Selects Edition (or Player's Choice or Happy Price Selection or <InsertNewNameNintendoWillUseHere>) :P
Nintendo selects or whatever will take a long time to process, is faster to just don't buy the game to get low sale count then get discount for it. Unless you all wanna make the sales so damn high nintendo will wait like 5 years for price drop like smash wii did, and that game never had nintendo select tag.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo selects or whatever will take a long time to process, is faster to just don't buy the game to get low sale count then get discount for it. Unless you all wanna make the sales so damn high nintendo will wait like 5 years for price drop like smash wii did, and that game never had nintendo select tag.
But if games don't sell well on the console it will become sooner or later a brick because no one releases on consoles for which no one gets new released games. If you don't already planned to buy multiple consoles of that gen you maybe feel forced to buy another one due to the lack of games later.
Saving now can become expensive in the future ;) (Hmpf, I sound neo liberal today :D)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if games don't sell well on the console it will become sooner or later a brick because no one releases on consoles for which no one gets new released games. If you don't already planned to buy multiple consoles of that gen you maybe feel forced to buy another one due to the lack of games later.
Saving now can become expensive in the future ;) (Hmpf, I sound neo liberal today :D)
I wish i could understand what you mean, i guess it make sense, but i don't believe in paying the same price for a port of a game that is already made, I never seen a game ported that cost the same price as it was on original hardware. Not until nintendo just said "FULL PRICE HD PORTS" Wind waker HD and twilight princess HD, had there been more, it would be $60 and i just dunno why nintendo feel they can get away with it. (They did cause the sales obviously displays that.) meanwhile no one else is selling ports for that kind of price.

Observing what has happened in the past, ports are to be cheaper. Of course is not fact, just observation. But people will do what they want, and I will do what i want. :mellow:

Reactions: VitaType

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive my ignorance, but if you already have Mario Kart 8 on the Wii-U with all of the DLC, what is the draw to buying the Switch version other than Battle Mode? It's the same game with the same tracks, isn't it? Was Battle Mode alone enough of a draw to get everybody buying the same game a second time?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive my ignorance, but if you already have Mario Kart 8 on the Wii-U with all of the DLC, what is the draw to buying the Switch version other than Battle Mode? It's the same game with the same tracks, isn't it? Was Battle Mode alone enough of a draw to get everybody buying the same game a second time?
I believe nintendo added a video explaining the upgrade to deluxe, so perhaps youtube channel can provide more info? Besides is on a 900P system (when docked) perhaps it could somehow have more updates or dlc? I dunno, but is not worth $60 if you have wii u game already, unless you want to keep up with your friends who moved on to owning it. (Or stay away from people who play cheats and mods online) :ninja:

Reactions: Xabring

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
On launch day, a buddy and I split a pair of joycons and played this game for hours. It's really, really good! I owned Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, but the newly revamped battle mode is all the goodness of the old battle modes on the Wii and DS Mario Karts, but (dare I say it?) even better! I also got to play the DLC maps that I didn't buy on the Wii U, those were pretty rad. Overall, I'd say this is the best MarioKart game of all time. Now now, my best Mario Kart memories were in my elementary school days w/ the Mario Kart Wii but really, Mario Kart 8 is just so feature-packed with 48 very well-made tracks (the most in any Mario Kart to date), an awesome battle mode, and all the other bells and whistles that Mario Kart 8 brought to the table before. It's the penultimate Mario Kart and really something special. If you're buying a Switch and have not played Mario Kart 8, this is a must-have! Games like these are what Nintendo consoles are designed for, so go on! Give it a spin!
you steal the words from my keyboard!.
I believe nintendo added a video explaining the upgrade to deluxe, so perhaps youtube channel can provide more info? Besides is on a 900P system (when docked) perhaps it could somehow have more updates or dlc? I dunno, but is not worth $60 if you have wii u game already, unless you want to keep up with your friends who moved on to owning it. (Or stay away from people who play cheats and mods online) :ninja:
or sell your old Wii U since it will collect dust and now you have a switch.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or sell your old Wii U since it will collect dust and now you have a switch.
I'm keeping both, which i don't find a problem for. :P

Features:

• Race your friends in the definitive version of Mario Kart 8, only on Nintendo Switch!
  • Race as every character on every track from the Wii U version, including DLC characters and tracks.
  • Pop some balloons in the revamped Battle mode, complete with Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Blast.
  • Battle on new courses, like Urchin Underpass and Battle Stadium, or returning ones, such as GCN Luigi's Mansion and SNES Battle Course 1.
  • Inkling Girl & Inkling Boy from Splatoon, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr. join the roster!
  • Players can choose a new Smart Steering feature which makes driving and staying on the track easy for novice players and kids even at 200cc
  • Three new vehicles have been added, two are even inspired by Splatoon
  • Carry two items at the same time
  • Returning items include Boo, the item stealing ghost, and the Feather, which gives you a high jump in battle mode.
  • Play your friends in local wireless multiplayer with up to 8 players.
  • Drive through in 1080p HD quality in TV mode
  • Play on the go with handheld mode and play anytime, anywhere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Doing good.