Gaming Mario vs Rayman: which one to get?

Which of those titles will you get at launch?

• New Super Mario Bros U: it's a Mario!

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Rayman Legends: because Origins was awesome

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Both...because I CAN!

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Neither: I ain't buying a huge-ass console to play 2D games!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Undecided: depends on review and peer pressure when the time comes

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think we're all having a big misunderstanding here.

"Biggest name" is rather broad. It never said it was a franchise, a company, a character, whatever. When they said "biggest name" I thought of the biggest contributor (company, franchise, character, etc) in the industry, and I chose those three. No one informed me that it was a specific franchise. Or perhaps we just changed the rules of the game so it is a franchise and I'm "wrong".

But as I said I unintentionally derailed the thread and I feel bad.
The rules of the game were never changed. I was referring to the biggest, most popular name in gaming, and everyone apparently knew what I meant except you. If I had said "biggest innovators of gaming," then there definitely would've been room for argument, and even then, Apple would've been a dead-wrong answer.

You're derailment is bad, and you should feel bad! :P

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The thing about starting a topic is that I usually don't know what to say afterwards (it's all in the OP).

So Mario is winning...cool, I guess. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure it'll be a fun game. But I can't really understand how it somehow manages to sell itself. What would make this game better than a decently made fan-made mod?

What I also kind of expected came through: there are almost no arguments as to WHY people stick to their choice. It's all emotional: either you like it or you don't (ro you (dis)like both).It's a bit ironic that the only real argument I've counted was "Mario has better resale value". I certainly can't argue with that (sharp remark, btw, @[member='SickPuppy']).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The thing about starting a topic is that I usually don't know what to say afterwards (it's all in the OP).

So Mario is winning...cool, I guess. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure it'll be a fun game. But I can't really understand how it somehow manages to sell itself. What would make this game better than a decently made fan-made mod?

What I also kind of expected came through: there are almost no arguments as to WHY people stick to their choice. It's all emotional: either you like it or you don't (ro you (dis)like both).
That's what it really boils down to in the end, I think. That said, I would grab the one in the series you've played less, for something fresh. If you've played through more of NSMBWii but not Rayman, go for Rayman Legends. If you've played through more Rayman, but not so much NSMBWii, go for NSMBU. But that's just how I see it.

As far as the fanmade mod remark, I don't think I've ever seen a Mario mod that's successfully put together a multiplayer experience like the NSMB series does. Just saying. The only exception I can think of is the in-progress 2 player Super Mario Galaxy 2 split-screen mod (and it looks GLORIOUS... look it up).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think most people will get Mario because.. of.. well.. the gameplay.

Mario games just seem to me like, the faster you go in a level, the easier it is. And you can just jump and jump and jump and jump, it's just fun to do. It's like Super Meat Boy, the faster you go in the levels jumping from platform to platform to wall and whatnot, the easier the level is without you even have to worry about the enemies or anything.

Rayman, basing this off of Origins, you can't do that. You have to stop once in a while. There's always going to be something that will just bring your speed to a screeching halt.

Reactions: 2 people

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both are as good as each other, they both have their flaws and both get old fast.

Neither are as good as DKCR and none come remotely close to being as good as the likes of Mario Bros 3, World, Yoshi's Island or even Mario Land 2. I enjoy Mario Land 1 more but that is more for nostalgia reasons. Also if I sit down and think about it there are also other better platformers.

For this gen they are among the best platformers, Galaxy series outshines both though.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yoshi's Island or even Mario Land 2.
Yoshi's Island is definitely my favorite Mario side scroller (if you can count it as that), and Super Mario Land 2 is towards the top as well.

Honestly though, after a lot of thinking and playing, I feel that there are so many side-scrollers that are just better than Mario. Even compared to the NSMB games today (except for multiplayer), games like Kirby Super Star and Mega Man X feel light years ahead of Mario, and they came out in the mid 90s.

D

Deleted_171835

Both are as good as each other, they both have their flaws and both get old fast.

Neither are as good as DKCR and none come remotely close to being as good as the likes of Mario Bros 3, World, Yoshi's Island or even Mario Land 2. I enjoy Mario Land 1 more but that is more for nostalgia reasons. Also if I sit down and think about it there are also other better platformers.

For this gen they are among the best platformers, Galaxy series outshines both though.
Donkey Kong Country Returns is stellar but I've stopped playing that until I get a Classic Controller. I'm about half-way through but I've tried going back to it and the 'shake to roll' mechanic gets pretty annoying.

But Galaxy 2 really is the perfect 3D platformer. EAD Tokyo absolutely nailed the formula there. It'll be hard to top it in the Wii U game.

Honestly though, after a lot of thinking and playing, I feel that there are so many side-scrollers that are just better than Mario. Even compared to the NSMB games today (except for multiplayer), games like Kirby Super Star and Mega Man X feel light years ahead of Mario, and they came out in the mid 90s.
I have to disagree. Kirby Superstar is nice (I've played Ultra) and Mega Man X is good but Mario is a different style of platforming that simply hasn't been matched. I don't think any of those games come close to Super Mario Bros. 3 (which I still play occasionally on my GBA).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Donkey Kong Country Returns is stellar but I've stopped playing that until I get a Classic Controller. I'm about half-way through but I've tried going back to it and the 'shake to roll' mechanic gets pretty annoying.
You can optionally turn off motion controls? Cool.
But Galaxy 2 really is the perfect 3D platformer. EAD Tokyo absolutely nailed the formula there. It'll be hard to top it in the Wii U game.
Working on Galaxy 1, and I love it to death. Easily my favorite Mario game, ever.
I have to disagree. Kirby Superstar is nice (I've played Ultra) and Mega Man X is good but Mario is a different style of platforming that simply hasn't been matched. I don't think any of those games come close to Super Mario Bros. 3 (which I still play occasionally on my GBA).
I mean, yeah, Mario is definitely different from Mega Man X, but I think Kirby and Mario are similar enough to compare (Super Star Ultra is definitely more refined than Super Star SNES, btw). The thing I like about Kirby is that there are so many more things and abilities you can do/use (flying, a bunch of different powers, etc), and yet the levels are still designed PERFECTLY so that you can't just spam a power or fly through the whole level without trouble. Compare that to many Mario games where having a certain power up makes many levels almost not challenging at all, and the amount of times you can just fly over the whole level with the cape in SMW. That's just how I see it.

Also, SMW > SMB3. Just my opinion. :P

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
let me break something to all you that think rayman is the best and say that we get a new super mario bros game every year
nsmb: ds 2006
nsmbw: wii 2009
nsmb2: 3ds 2012
nsmbU: wii u 2012
its a pretty nice 3 years between each game with the exception of nsmb2 wich is a fun little side game
now the rayman games
rayman origins: multi 2011
rayman legends: wii u 2012
rayman jungle run: ios 2012 (i included jungle run aswell because it play and feel like the other games and i did count nsmb2 aswell)
huh just one year in between

so that give us 4 mario platformers in 6 years each one with changes to make them feel different from the others
and in this 2 years we get 3 rayman platformers 2 of them been like a carbon copy of each other and the other one with gimmicky touch pad controller that seems to be obligatory (like the one in nsmbu but you don't need it to beat the game)

so pretty much we have a little nice and simple comparison about the 2 franchises and i did like rayman origins but two mayor things stopped this game to become an awesome game
1. grinding for electoons: as a platformer gamer what do you thing you have to do to beat the game? beat the levels not get everything on almost every level to get to the end of the game
imagine you play sonic the hedgehog or megaman or mario and you missed 1 coin/ring/heart tank pass the level get to the other one and get booted out of the level because you missed that little thing thats anoying
2. this is something minor but its important NO REPLAY VALUE while its fun (for the most parts) play trough the game once you unlock the final secret area there's any more to do because well you did almost everything on your way there

and well to get equal attention to both franchises ill point out things that bug me from a recent mario platformer
1. what? 6 main worlds? really? this is an issue that almost did make me not play new super mario bros 2 because well it would feel like a short game one can argue about the fact that there are 3 special worlds that make the game a total of 9 worlds still the game feel short because of just been 6 main worlds
2. lack of playable characters. we have mario luigi and 2 random toads? well thats weird. they could use one toad and maybe wario, waluigi or put unlockable characters for example for beat bowser you can get to play as peach or if you beat a koopa kid under some kind of sircunstances you will unlock that koopa kid to use it as a playable character

well i gues its everything it was a long post :3

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
let me break something to all you that think rayman is the best and say that we get a new super mario bros game every year
nsmb: ds 2006
nsmbw: wii 2009
nsmb2: 3ds 2012
nsmbU: wii u 2012
its a pretty nice 3 years between each game with the exception of nsmb2 wich is a fun little side game
now the rayman games
rayman origins: multi 2011
rayman legends: wii u 2012
rayman jungle run: ios 2012 (i included jungle run aswell because it play and feel like the other games and i did count nsmb2 aswell)
huh just one year in between

so that give us 4 mario platformers in 6 years each one with changes to make them feel different from the others
and in this 2 years we get 3 rayman platformers 2 of them been like a carbon copy of each other and the other one with gimmicky touch pad controller that seems to be obligatory (like the one in nsmbu but you don't need it to beat the game)

so pretty much we have a little nice and simple comparison about the 2 franchises and i did like rayman origins but two mayor things stopped this game to become an awesome game
1. grinding for electoons: as a platformer gamer what do you thing you have to do to beat the game? beat the levels not get everything on almost every level to get to the end of the game
imagine you play sonic the hedgehog or megaman or mario and you missed 1 coin/ring/heart tank pass the level get to the other one and get booted out of the level because you missed that little thing thats anoying
2. this is something minor but its important NO REPLAY VALUE while its fun (for the most parts) play trough the game once you unlock the final secret area there's any more to do because well you did almost everything on your way there

and well to get equal attention to both franchises ill point out things that bug me from a recent mario platformer
1. what? 6 main worlds? really? this is an issue that almost did make me not play new super mario bros 2 because well it would feel like a short game one can argue about the fact that there are 3 special worlds that make the game a total of 9 worlds still the game feel short because of just been 6 main worlds
2. lack of playable characters. we have mario luigi and 2 random toads? well thats weird. they could use one toad and maybe wario, waluigi or put unlockable characters for example for beat bowser you can get to play as peach or if you beat a koopa kid under some kind of sircunstances you will unlock that koopa kid to use it as a playable character

well i gues its everything it was a long post :3

Rayman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NSMB.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I mean, yeah, Mario is definitely different from Mega Man X, but I think Kirby and Mario are similar enough to compare (Super Star Ultra is definitely more refined than Super Star SNES, btw). The thing I like about Kirby is that there are so many more things and abilities you can do/use (flying, a bunch of different powers, etc), and yet the levels are still designed PERFECTLY so that you can't just spam a power or fly through the whole level without trouble.
I really liked the DS version of Super Star Deluxe, however it was sort of a disappointment when it came to the audio department. Sounds that used to be clear in the SNES version all of a sudden sounded warped and like they had been downsampled to a lower audio quality. So while I like the DS version I'd still be prone to say that the original is better.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I really liked the DS version of Super Star Deluxe, however it was sort of a disappointment when it came to the audio department. Sounds that used to be clear in the SNES version all of a sudden sounded warped and like they had been downsampled to a lower audio quality. So while I like the DS version I'd still be prone to say that the original is better.
That's something I noticed with more than one SNES port/remake on the DS. Chrono Trigger DS sounded inferior to the SNES version, too.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
It has to be Mario for me. Wins every time.
I just don't like Rayman, I've played a few Rayman titles (Rabbids not counted) and I just find them dull..pretty - but dull.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's something I noticed with more than one SNES port/remake on the DS. Chrono Trigger DS sounded inferior to the SNES version, too.

I think the SNES had the better sound chip than the DS. I think the DS uses a lot of Midi crap...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol