Masahiro Sakurai launches YouTube channel about game design

Masahiro Sakurai, best known as the creator of Kirby and director of the Super Smash Bros. series, has launched a new YouTube channel about game design, offering tips and insights with the aim of helping to "make games around the world a little more fun." He clarifies that while the channel is intended to be accessible to everyone, he will not be streaming games or speaking off-the-cuff; these will be pointed video essays about "topics like game development and what makes games fun." Similarly, technical talk will be kept to a minimum, with the discussion centering more around game design theory.

Each video will be "bite-sized," ranging from two to five minutes, and will be uploaded in both Japanese and English. Sakurai notes that YouTube's duplicate content algorithm may delete one version of the other, but pledges to "keep an eye on it." On the topic of game footage, he plans to mostly use "the classics" to avoid potential copyright issues, and has also been granted permission to show off design documents and development builds from the Smash Bros. series. However, Nintendo is not involved in the development of the project, and Sakurai is paying out of pocket for video editors and translators. Despite this, he promises not to run ads or monetize the channel.

The series could be seen as a successor to Sakurai's "Think About Video Games" series, a weekly column that ran in Famitsu from 2002-2021.

The channel has just launched today, and already has three videos up. There's two introductory videos, one explaining Sakurai's goals with the channel and another giving an overview of his career. The third video is his first proper video essay, discussing the importance of hit stops: a brief pause in a game's action upon a significant moment, to help the player feel its impact and register what happened. Sakurai breaks down not only why hit stops are important, but their history, what types of developers tend to use them, and what genres could benefit from them.

You can check out "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games" here.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I'm glad he's doing something different for the time being, but I hope that people won't get the wrong idea about game design and development, as these kind of formats tend to express a certain perspective and a simplification of the processes behind how games are being created.
In reality, it's not uncommon to be stuck in the conceptual stage, and way too common to have trouble with decision-making regarding major factors such as looking for a trusty publisher who accepts to work with you, handling a team(unless you're a one-person team) and splitting the work between them, all-things financing and probably more things that a fair amount of fresh newcomers tend to discover from trial and error.

Then again, SOME people will get the wrong idea anyway, jump into the drawing board and badabing, badaboom, mistakes will happen.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Will he teach how to make a super annoying game and yet be praised by fans and the press? That was magical.

(For you who don't know, I'm referring to Kid Icarus on 3DS, a meh on rails shooter with a character talking ALL THE FUCKING TIME in a way that is even more annoying than navi form Ocarina of Time. When the said character goes away, another fucking annoying character takes her place in the same annoying way, to disable this "feature" you need to beat the game)

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather he share his secret on eternal youth and reverse aging.
Each video will be "bite-sized," ranging from two to five minutes, and will be uploaded in both Japanese and English. Sakurai notes that YouTube's duplicate content algorithm may delete one version of the other, but pledges to "keep an eye on it."
I'm a little amazed but not really surprised that YouTube has an algorithm for that but not at all surprised it does f*** all considering the same shorts and a ton of other few minute videos are everywhere. It's also ridiculous but not at all surprising that a platform as big as YouTube doesn't allow multiple audio tracks for videos.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Each video will be "bite-sized," ranging from two to five minutes, and will be uploaded in both Japanese and English. Sakurai notes that YouTube's duplicate content algorithm may delete one version of the other, but pledges to "keep an eye on it."
I'm a little amazed but not really surprised that YouTube has an algorithm for that but not at all surprised it does f*** all considering the same shorts and a ton of other few minute videos are everywhere. It's also ridiculous but not at all surprising that a platform as big as YouTube doesn't allow multiple audio tracks for videos.

Reactions: kidcharlemagne

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Iwata-san is a mentor i've followed since I was a kid. I can see the passion Masahiro Sakurai puts through game development. It's very important to develop games and/or port them, and build communities around it.
Hence, i'll also share (some of) the development work i've done lately: SnakeGL
snakegl_nds.png

Sincerely. Coto.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
YouTube has always been extremely biased towards the majority of the population speaking and hearing English correctly. This kind of bias was never called out by anyone because the most affected people are the ones consuming media in both English and their non-English native language, which is something that the vast majority of Google employees and content creators don't care about. They even axed the possibility of adding subtitles, as a giant "fuck you" to deaf people. You now need to ask permission from the video owner first, which might not be easily reachable.

El_Doot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube has always been extremely biased towards the majority of the population speaking and hearing English correctly. This kind of bias was never called out by anyone because the most affected people are the ones consuming media in both English and their non-English native language, which is something that the vast majority of Google employees and content creators don't care about. They even axed the possibility of adding subtitles, as a giant "fuck you" to deaf people. You now need to ask permission from the video owner first, which might not be easily reachable.
also subtitles are just nice because I mishear so many things

Reactions: Halbour

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OmDRetro @ OmDRetro:
    @Xdqwerty HM...

If the cat girl leaves, my kokoro dies a little.

If I piss off the cat grill friend, I get no food and he's likely to grill me.

There's just no winning here 😂
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @OmDRetro, good point
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Anyone play Little Kitty, Big City?
    My kitty was watching me play. <3 <3 <3
    its a game that came out a few days ago. Its on Game Pass too.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, but what is the game about?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Never heard of it. Any good?
    You control a kitten. You fall out the window and have to make your way back home. Solve some light puzzles, do cat things like knock stuff over and steal things, trip people up when theyre walking, pounce on birds, complete goals/tasks etc. in the process of getting back to your home.
    +1
    I think ones enjoyment would depend on how much a person loves cats. :)
    +1
    Theres my kitty watching me play.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I'm a cat person so this game must be for me. :D
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, sounds kinda neat
    @SylverReZ It's short but adorable imo. Im a HUGE cat lover.Can be completed in a couple of hours if just going for the main goals. But can be stretched out a good deal by exploring and doing everything there is to do and see.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, like a cat gta?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Reminds me of a similar game called "Neko Atsume", similar to Nintendogs but you look after cats.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, wasnt there an official nintendogs game with cats for the 3ds?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ill have no wifi for a bit so see ya later
    +2
    Gross. lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Ok seeya.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man goes to the doctor because his boner wont go down. As he is laying in the hospital bed, with his thing propped up in the air, a fly is flying around and landing on the tip and bothering him, so he calls in the nurse. The nurse comes in, swats at the fly but can't quite reach it, so she climbs his boner to get better aim. After a few tries of swatting and sliding back down, she says sorry I cant get it. He says keep going, a few more tries, and I can shoot the fly down.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: So a man goes to the doctor because his boner wont go down. As he is laying in the hospital bed... +1