Maybe we need premoderation for newreg?

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would also like to see restrictions on the ability for new accounts to make a new topic until post count = X. Perhaps 5 or 10?

Reactions: BigOnYa

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I would also like to see restrictions on the ability for new accounts to make a new topic until post count = X. Perhaps 5 or 10?
This would also be an awful idea since most users come here for help for their specific issue, and consolidating all that to a single help thread would be awful

Reactions: Seriel

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This would also be an awful idea since most users come here for help for their specific issue, and consolidating all that to a single help thread would be awful
or it would also force them to search for topics that have already been in discussion. I'm not suggesting that they couldn't post at all so they could still ask their question in a thread already up.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
or it would also force them to search for topics that have already been in discussion. I'm not suggesting that they couldn't post at all so they could still ask their question in a thread already up.
This'll just result in a lot of necrobumping or people posting in threads that have a completely different but similar issue

Reactions: Seriel

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could probably happen, but also probably not.

The forum already does "okay" enough blocking for new users posting spam links. Those that sift through that automatic filter - well, those that abused it by posting pure crap like "ewerwerwerwerwerwerehrereg erg ergreherherhjnegjkregnkerjng", for example.

Could there be some automatic spam filter? Sure. But it'd flag actual relevant posts and if that'd happen, a mod would need to unflag it.

Notice: From experience, most of these spam bots are coming from IP addresses like, Mumbai / India, Pakistan, China, or even VPN-based servers.

So regional / IP blocking specifically for this website (gbatemp.net), is NOT a welcome idea, since it'd block out most visitors, even if some users are malicious.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While premoderation would remove pretty much ALL spam, you must keep in mind that the mods are volunteers -- not paid employees. That is a big load of work. And it is going to cause unpleasant delays for new users.

Automatic spam filters are a cat an mouse game. Want to block phone numbers? Can you read this: ¹800_55'5³74 (and there are surely better characters in unicode to replace numbers).
Reach us under ωhatsΑpp 123-4567^9012. Small Greek Omega and capital Greek Alpha. You can read it normally. A filter searching for invitations to WhatsApp won't recognize it.

Not making this up. There have been perfectly readable but somewhat obfuscated phone numbers and keywords.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reach us unter ωhatsΑpp 123-4567^9012. Small Greek Omega and capital Greek Alpha. You can read it normally. A filter searching for invitations to WhatsApp won't recognize it.

Not making this up. There have been perfectly readable but somewhat obfuscated phone numbers and keywords.
Would it be possible to check how many differetn codepages the characters of a post title use ?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would it be possible to check how many differetn codepages the characters of a post title use ?
Sounds complex, but probably possible. One can implement many things. In the end spambots will find their way in.

I've said it multiple times before, like @The Catboy:
I suggested we add a cooldown timer for new members to make threads. Most spambots are quick in and quick out, they don’t hangout for delays.
There is no good reason for a new user to be allowed to post 10 threads in five minutes. Nobody should do that. One introduction, one help request thread and one extra. Three threads in the first 24 hours should not be a constraint for human users. But it would prevent a bot from :shit:ing all over the place.

To staff: It is getting out of hand lately. Yes, we all know it: "Just report it and move on." The amount of spam is still annoying.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, there really isn't a good way to handle this problem. I used to help moderate another large xenforo forum and the best solution at the time (which still wasn't great and makes extra work for the moderators) was to put new member threads/replies(usually 15 posts or less) into a premoderation queue. Meaning that their threads need to be approved first before they will go public. Giving mods a chance to delete(and even infract/ban) the member/thread before any of us can even get a chance to see it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)