MC2SIO - Load PS2 games from SD Memory Card!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It looks great !
I gave my FMcBoot card to a friend, I'll have to buy a new original MagicGate card to try. (and that adapter when in stock again, of course)

It doesn't tell whether Dual disc games are compatible or not.
At least, games where you can save before switching are fine.
It also doesn't tell the game format, I suppose ISO ? he said they need to be split, so it's a single file format and probably iso for easier use.
it's also region free?

Last edited by Cyan,

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly out of stock + no clones yet... wish i could score one just to fool around with it

Can anybody confirm that the mc port is faster than the old usb 1 ports?

Reactions: CoolMe

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly out of stock + no clones yet... wish i could score one just to fool around with it

The same video showed that it can run faster than USB loading but it's still early days and the compatibility isn't 100% but a lot of the games I would play seems to be in the "working category according to this list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zHxhwT4nSkrCCAqJNlSndw1Yeh_9g3eL/edit#gid=669997000

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hmmm very intresting i did some research on the memorycard port its 24mbps wich should equal around 3 mb so yes its faster but not much but it seems thats just enough to fix the stuttering issues

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I literally just saw that vid, and was about to post about it heh..

you can make this thing yourself too from any ps1 or ps2 memorycard with very little soldering skills
The guy on the vid said that those guys added some components to the MC to improve compatibility, i'm not sure how does it perform without them. Also from the pic he showed it didn't look that complicated, definitely doable. Not sure if this mod could work for other clone MCs or just the genuine one?
The FMV didn't stutter from the footage, i want to know if it's close (or less) to SMB in terms of speed..

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This looks mighty interesting, if it works as well as the video implies, I guess this could become the most straightforward way to go for PS2 games.

PS1 games on USB work great already.

Reactions: fababop

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I literally just saw that vid, and was about to post about it heh..

The guy on the vid said that those guys added some components to the MC to improve compatibility, i'm not sure how does it perform without them. Also from the pic he showed it didn't look that complicated, definitely doable. Not sure if this mod could work for other clone MCs or just the genuine one?

The FMV didn't stutter from the footage, i want to know if it's close (or less) to SMB in terms of speed..
from what ive found those are the specs so smb should definetly be faster
  • HDD ATA interface: ATA-66 (Roughly 66MB/s).
  • Ethernet interface: 100Mbit (Or 12.5MB/s).
  • USB 1.1 interface: 12Mbit (~1.5 MB/s).
  • CD/DVD drive: 24x speed CD-ROM [3.6 MB/s], 4x speed DVD-ROM [5.28 MB/s].

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks mighty interesting, if it works as well as the video implies, I guess this could become the most straightforward way to go for PS2 games.

PS1 games on USB work great already.
Agreed, SMB is just way too messy.. This should be the optimal method for Slims.

Leon11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SMB is really improved in latest OPLs, especially FMV Stuttering and compatibility. You can easily buy a cheap router with a USB port, connect an external HDD, set the SMB connection on PC for the router once and you go. The speed is essentially like a healty DVD Drive minus some compatibility issue. There is only one thing that i hate of the SMB method, if you don't touch the controller for like 20 minutes the connection is lost, you have to reset the PS2, if you put a rubber on the analog mimicking movements when you are absent maybe you can workaround. You add ISO without conversion or split directly to the HDD, you can connect to the PC directly or create a network share if you leave it connected to the router.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
isn't there any site where you can submit your PCB blueprint and get it build ?
if some manufacturers could just build and ship it on demand instead of waiting from resellers or clones that would be great.
maybe like this https://jlcpcb.com/ or https://www.pcbway.com/

My PS2 is modchip'd, but disc drive is sometime lazy :(
SD would be a quick and easy replacement without investing in an HDD. (or is that easy to setup too? I never looked into it yet)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, SMB is just way too messy.. This should be the optimal method for Slims.
SMB isn't messy. Get a large USB storage device (big thumbdrive or 2.5" HDD) a micro router with USB support and a 6in. ethernet cable. Set it up once and never need to touch it again. No home network or internet needed and the whole setup is "portable" and can move around with the Slim. I have two setups like this and they work perfect with zero maintenance and considerably faster then USB and the memory card method.
And I have done my own memory card mod and it runs OK but not as smooth as SMB.

fababop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What about a PS2Netbox? Better solution probably? It looks like a external HDD, but it loads the games via ether, and powers via USB. Basically like a mini NAS.

61q+MdYGXRL._AC_SL1320_.jpg

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD would be a quick and easy replacement without investing in an HDD. (or is that easy to setup too? I never looked into it yet)
Internal HDD is a must for Fat PS2s, it's easy to install FreeHDBoot if you have either FreeMCboot on a MC or a modchip, you need to get either a SATA network adapter the gamestar one (works well though no ethernet port), or modify the OEM one with a SATA adapter board, both are the same in terms of performance. Highly recommended.
SMB isn't messy
It is, for those who just one to revisit & play their fav games and are new to this.
Get a large USB storage device (big thumbdrive or 2.5" HDD) a micro router with USB support and a 6in. ethernet cable.
I know about this, it's just considerably more extra stuff one needs to do in order to set it up opposed to this method(MC2SIO), again specially for first timers.. though i personally i wouldn't mind it, but since i use my Fat as my main system i don't see the need for it, maybe if i ever was hard pressed to use my Slim for whatever reason..
And I have done my own memory card mod and it runs OK but not as smooth as SMB.
Good to know, i guess at least it's better than USB, though game compatibility between the two is something to be considered as well..

Reactions: Cyan

Leon11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The SD card method is easier to setup at the beginning maybe, but the SMB is better to play games and once you have set it up, it's just a matter of drag and drop ISOs. If someone want an easier method but not reliable when there are better alternatives, don't complain after when a game freeze, stutters, or doesn't boot, or you have to split ISO specifically with the chance they don't work, and you need a specific version of OPL too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I feel that, I got work tomorrow :(