Mega Man World DX, a colorized romhack by Marc Robledo, has been released

thumbnail.jpg

The Mega Man Game Boy series (known in Japan as Rockman World) have been some of the most underrated games in the Mega Man franchise, more so since many of the GB titles were pseudo-ports of the NES counterparts, pushing people towards playing the NES titles instead.

However, in the case of Mega Man V, or Rockman World 5 (and in this instance, Mega Man World 5), is the exception, and instead that title features a brand new storyline alongside unique levels, assets, bosses and weapons, while the previous 4 titles before it reused levels and bosses from the NES titles. An underlooked gem that is usually considered one of the best games in the classic series, and one of the best platformers in Game Boy, taking quite a bit of unexpected turns, and it certainly is one of the games that truly deserves a proper colorization effort.

Marc Robledo, a renowned romhacker who has worked in other colorization projects for the Game Boy, such as Dr. Mario DX, Amazing Penguin DX and the color restoration for the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country, with the collaborative effort of Kensu, who worked on the graphics and palettes for the colorization, released a hack that turns the original Game Boy Mega Man World 5 game into a full Game Boy Color game!

Features:
  • Fully colorized game, trying to make it as faithful as possible to NES game
  • Making the most of CGB double speed mode thus getting rid of almost all slowdown in the original game!
  • NES styled pause screen
  • Some game original code parts rewritten
  • Some tilesets modified in order to take advantage of all available palettes
  • Works in real hardware and emulators
  • Renamed to Mega Man World 5 DX (the original japanese name)
History:
After releasing Dr. Mario DX, I really wanted to try on a bigger project. Work officialy started on December 2020 and a lot of progress was made in very little time.
However, the game code is very complex and sadly found a lot of obstacles that slowed everything down.
On November 2021, the hack was fully rewritten from scratch, hoping it would help to revive the project. But it wasn't until May 2022 when I finally overcame the biggest challenge on this hack and resumed work at last!
I don't really want to know how many hundreds (maybe thousands already?) I've spent on this. But in the end, I hope it will be worth it! :-)

7413screenshot4.png
7413screenshot1.png
7413screenshot2.png
7413screenshot3.png

:arrow: Download

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 105
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 116

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Megaman World 5 the best in the GB series?
I mean, there is mega man xtreme 1 & 2. Those are for gameboy color already. Sure it's probably not as original as mega man 5, but it does have a original story and it's tied to the main series too. It's also made by capcom unlike the other mega man gameboy games that was done by another developer. :ninja:

On November 2021, the hack was fully rewritten from scratch, hoping it would help to revive the project. But it wasn't until May 2022 when I finally overcame the biggest challenge on this hack and resumed work at last!
Seem like a lot of work went into this. I'm surprised, didn't think gameboy games was any more complex than a nes game. I figured it be less complex. Also this game on super gameboy has color, but I guess it's no where near as good as the actual gameboy color's color. :P

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You forgot to put the URLs for the other mentioned hacks in instead of the word "URL", nice news tho :toot:
There's a button labeled 'Download' under the page to download the ROM hack.

Reactions: godreborn

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a button labeled 'Download' under the page to download the ROM hack.
They meant the other hacks mentioned in the article. This line specifically:
such as Dr. Mario DX (URL), Amazing Penguin DX (URL) and the color restoration for the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country (URL)
Honestly, with the weird grammar and this, kinda feels like if this was just copied over from somewhere else.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They meant the other hacks mentioned in the article. This line specifically:
such as Dr. Mario DX (URL), Amazing Penguin DX (URL) and the color restoration for the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country (URL)
Honestly, with the weird grammar and this, kinda feels like if this was just copied over from somewhere else.
Dr. Mario DX Polish-Up: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6200/
Amazing Penguin DX: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6797/
DKC Colour Palette Restoration: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4051/

GammaPhonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love all these Game Bot colourisations that are being made. Well done, my friend. If any clever folk are reading this and want a suggestion for another colourisation mod, I'd love to see Top Ranking Tennis get this treatment. It's not exactly at the top of everyones Game Boy list, but I love that game so much.

Reactions: SylverReZ

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I love these colorized GB rom hacks we've seen in recent years. And this one is fantastic to see. But I feel like I'm going crazy, how has no one tackled Donkey Kong '94 yet?

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty